PDA

View Full Version : fitting new rack and pinion

T40novasr
23-03-16, 02:53 PM
Hi all need some advice . I have purchase a quick rack from quaife for my vauxhall nova . Rack casing cleaned and washed out new bearings order , rack has been greased and part assembled . Pre load unit not fitted yet , pinion placed into rack can turn pinion easy if no bearing in once you place the bearing in the casting then fit the circling it's very hard to turn the rack to the right hard to turn it to the left but after one turn it goes easy . Any ideas would really help as I can't see why it won't work
Cheers ricky

meritlover
23-03-16, 02:55 PM
does the pinion turn freely with the bearing and circlip fitted, but no rack?

T40novasr
23-03-16, 03:03 PM
No that's one I haven't tried good idea ill do that and let you know cheers

meritlover
23-03-16, 03:04 PM
that simple step would pretty much narrow your search down 1 of 2 things.

T40novasr
23-03-16, 05:51 PM
Well yep bearing goes in with pinion on which I guess can only mean rack is bent . And I haven't even put load on it .

meritlover
23-03-16, 07:44 PM
it probably wont make much difference and i'd doubt you'd feel it in the steering wheel. it cant be bent by much.
how are you trying to turn it?

T40novasr
24-03-16, 07:01 PM
Well I was turning it by hand . Today I re built the old one went together easy no problems , then stripped it down and re built the new one and it won't assemble properly very tight when the main bearing starts to enter the rack housing . I now have no idea

garyc
28-03-16, 08:04 PM
What's the code for the roller bearing I need to order one?

T40novasr
29-03-16, 05:45 PM
Bearings a skf 6203-2z/c3 any one got any idea what's wrong with this steering issue . Clocked up the rack and pinion and they are fine until I put the bearing in .