PDA

View Full Version : Removing Driveshafts.

Paul
24-09-03, 12:25 AM
I have been given a GTE, wel access to all parts, I dont know how good condition anything is, mechanically visibly its ok.

The driveshafts are 22 spline and are needed for the valver conversion.

How do you remove these and how hard are they for a complete novice. How long will it take me and what do i need?

Do i need any special tools and does the car have to be jacked up really high?

Other things;

How do I tell what condition theyre in, whether they are 'warped' etc.

I kno to see if there a lot of play, but any other sign of damage, will i need the CV joint too?

Ne oils/gases come pouring onto my face as im under there that i need to watch out for?

Any help appreciated

Will my matesd 1.2 fan be the same as the one from the GTE? RAdiator, do you need all pipes with it or not? Can coolant damage paintwork?

Cheers Paul

Mark
24-09-03, 07:50 AM
For removal there are tools you can buy, to be honest you don't need 'em, pop the bottom arm off etc so the hub is only attached to the steering rack and suspension and drive shaft, put a container under the gearbox to catch any fluid and YANK LIKE FCUK! :D

Will F
24-09-03, 09:09 AM
As the wise Corsa Nova says.
Take the hub nut off before you take the wheel off, cos it will be tight as feck.

Once the CV joint is free from the hub just tug like you have never tugged before.

Mark
24-09-03, 06:31 PM
Ah yes, as the ever wise Will says, remember to loosen of that hub nut first or it virtually impossible to get it off after...

brian
24-09-03, 07:48 PM
remember to loosen of that hub nut first or it virtually impossible to get it off after...

not if its a GTE with vented discs.....put a screw driver in one of the vents and lock it against the caliper! :wink:

Mark
24-09-03, 08:31 PM
LOL - yeah, tried that twice, first time I smashed the disc and second I broke me screwdriver - lol

brian
24-09-03, 11:36 PM
LOL - yeah, tried that twice, first time I smashed the disc and second I broke me screwdriver - lol
once the split pin is out and a screw driver locks the disc to the caliper it should not take insane force to open the nut corsanova.....how the hell did you brake the disc :o

dave.gsi
25-09-03, 12:02 AM
had mine out last week. hub nut was well tight. a scaffolding pole over my extention bar was needed. as for the driveshaft i had my dad under the car hitting it with a hammer and me pulling at it from the other end

mark_GSi
25-09-03, 06:16 PM
i always use a crowbar and yank the hell out of it!!!

takes a certain knack to do it first time,

first time i did it took me all morning to get 1 off!!!! LMAO!!

Mark
25-09-03, 11:08 PM
once the split pin is out and a screw driver locks the disc to the caliper it should not take insane force to open the nut corsanova.....how the hell did you brake the disc :o

LOL - I'm just a fat bastard!!