PDA

View Full Version : F16 / 18 / 20 Diff preload

BRoadGhost
20-03-16, 08:26 PM
What's the torque setting for preloading the diff on these gearboxes?

http://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/astra-j/images/astra-j-8872.jpg

BRoadGhost
21-03-16, 10:41 PM
Also anyone know the bolt thread for the rear 3 mountings?

Stuart
22-03-16, 08:01 AM
As they are taper bearings, we've always tightened till the diff won't turn, then back it off till there is enough spin without it moving around. Seemed to have worked

wwinstanley
22-03-16, 12:17 PM
As they are taper bearings, we've always tightened till the diff won't turn, then back it off till there is enough spin without it moving around. Seemed to have worked

This is the method I have always used however id be interested to hear if there is an actual torque setting

Novasport
22-03-16, 02:34 PM
There is a way to do it but the description on how is quite confusing. It is in the early Haynes.

Stuart
22-03-16, 03:31 PM
There is a way to do it but the description on how is quite confusing. It is in the early Haynes.

The method where you need one thats been torqued already and you mark the nut and housing? :)

meritlover
22-03-16, 07:51 PM
You need to set the float with a clock if you want to do it right, you cant use torque as the o-ring and fine thread will give you a false reading. Anything else is just nipping it up and hoping for the best.

8valve-craig
23-03-16, 07:32 AM
I just use the above method, nip it up and back it off a touch, that's never caused a problem.

Iain
23-03-16, 09:06 AM
Another vote for guesswork lol Somewhere between not binding and no play has always done me.

Royston
23-03-16, 11:27 AM
On the Sport when I installed the ZF LSD

I Checked mine with a pull balance, had to calculate the load from the manual and pulled from a crownwheel bolt.

Nip up and back off will work too!