PDA

View Full Version : Z16SE C16SE E16SE engines

Nova.Stockhatch
06-03-16, 11:53 AM
Hi, I'm wanting to rebuild a engine for my gsi stock hatch race car. Currently running a E16SE. Am I right in thinking the E16SE the C16SE and Z16SE all are mechanically the same? Seeing as Z16SE engines are plentiful compared to the others, I thought they'd be the cheapest donor if they are definitely the same apart from the bolt on bits - manifolds etc..

Any thoughts? Thanks

Andy
06-03-16, 03:49 PM
Yes only the inlet manifold and management is different from z to c and e

Nova.Stockhatch
07-03-16, 08:05 PM
Yes only the inlet manifold and management is different from z to c and e

Ok great thanks

Will F
07-03-16, 10:49 PM
Z16 are a different casting on the block to bolt to the mounts. I would also assume they are a lower compression to the earlier e/c16se too

Andy
07-03-16, 11:04 PM
No theyre not.they bolt in the same.compression is a little higher as pistons are flat top.i run z bottom and e top with skimmed head

Nova.Stockhatch
08-03-16, 07:34 PM
I will have to find a e16/c16 then if they have different pistons - it would have to be mechanically identical to be allowed in the formula I race :(

Andy
08-03-16, 08:03 PM
Same problem iv had in autograss mate.we run similar rules

Will F
08-03-16, 10:47 PM
Z16 mounts on the cambelt side does it not? Rather than the 'front' where the c16 does?

jimbob-mcgrew
09-03-16, 02:36 PM
Z16 mounts on the cambelt side does it not? Rather than the 'front' where the c16 does?

it has both sets of bolt holes i believe will.
they used the front ones on later cars, to mount the air-con pump bracket

jimbob-mcgrew
09-03-16, 02:41 PM
I will have to find a e16/c16 then if they have different pistons - it would have to be mechanically identical to be allowed in the formula I race :(

the z16se does have different pistons in. flat topped, slightly different length, with thinner oil rings.
the combustion chamber is a different shape in the head too.

the most similar bottom ends to the e16se and c16se are :

c16nz
x16sz
x16szr

which are common in mk.3 astras, and early mk.4 astras i believe.
practically identical, but with a 1.1mm lower dip in piston centre cut-out. probably the equivalent to half a compression ratio-ish. not much in it at all. depends how strict they are.

the top ends on those 3 engines, i think all run square port, with possibly different sized valves, so will be quite different, with crap air flow.

if andy gets away with it, then youll be alright to use the z16 :) .. depends whether they open your engine up to check.

Andy
09-03-16, 06:01 PM
I dont get away with it no more which i think is bollox as theyre cheap and readily available which is apparently in the spirit of our class.However the powers that be have decided its not allowed.