PDA

View Full Version : Turboing an engine, many questions lol

-fred-
29-02-16, 09:04 AM
Hello, was just think bout building a wee turbo engine out of a 1.6 8v engine that came out of a 2001 Astra, and was just wondering if I made up the manifold could you use a turbo off a 1.7td cavalier? Also wot engine work would I need to do to to make it work etc? I'm just wondering as I have the engine and turbo laying there and wouldn't mind trying it,

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Stuart
29-02-16, 09:56 AM
Many questions, but the first one is;

Is this going to be a "serious" peject, or just something to try to see how it works?

-fred-
29-02-16, 10:55 AM
Just something to try and see how the work tbh lad, it's just something I could play about and try and build the whole thing myself, never really built an engine myself before ya c and just always wanted to try it, was thinking if it was any good I'd buy something to put it into,

Stuart
29-02-16, 11:41 AM
if its for fun, then go ahead, chuck the derv turbo onto the petrol engine. Should "work", not sure for how long but its lessons for you :D

-fred-
29-02-16, 11:53 AM
Take you think this is a stupid idea then? Lol I just seen a boy had built a 2.0 zetec engine with the turbo off a 320d bmw, that's why I was asking could you u put any turbo on any car as I don't know much about building engines,

Stuart
29-02-16, 12:03 PM
I think its kinda pointless as doing it "cheap" will ultimately cost the same as doing it nearly properly etc.
BUT if you want to do it and accept that it might destroy itself, and use it as a elarning exercise then go for it!!!

-fred-
29-02-16, 12:26 PM
Naw well I'm not a fan of wasting money, if it's just goin wreck itself I think I'll just leave it, good job I asked before I tried it lol

Cheers mate

Stuart
29-02-16, 12:43 PM
It might not wreck itself though...

Things you want to think about are:
How you will increase the fuelling for the boost (dirty way is a rising rate fuel pressure reg, less dirty is a 5th fuel injector, lovely way is megasquirt etc)
How will you control the ignition related to boooost.
imho there is no need to drop the compression ratio of the 1.6 8V engine, lots of people bleet on about it but 10:1 is fine imho, even moresoe if you chuck management on there.

Oil feeds and returns, water feeds/returns (maybe)
FMIC

job done. maybe

Andy
29-02-16, 04:22 PM
Its something i plan on doing aswell actually.i have a few spare bits kicking around and i have access to machining gear

Edd
29-02-16, 06:10 PM
Diesel turbocharger is not the best starting point

meritlover
29-02-16, 06:16 PM
Diesel turbocharger is not the best starting point

why?

Stuart
29-02-16, 06:55 PM
Not designed for the heat of a petrol exhaust

meritlover
29-02-16, 07:35 PM
Not designed for the heat of a petrol exhaust

lol

Stuart
29-02-16, 07:38 PM
but of course you know much better :roll:
I'm sure there is anecdotal evidence over the internet about how derv turbos are fine on mega powarz engines etc, but its the same as the internet saying that soldering wires in cars is fine too lol

mowgli
29-02-16, 08:01 PM
If I point out that a >2005 Mitsubishi L200 has the exact same turbo as a std. imprezza turbo, would it sway any ones opinion that diesel turbo's are crap compared to petrol ones? Then I'll add that a lot of the 80's F1 turbos were off commercial vehicles, as they could deliver the air needed

-fred-
29-02-16, 11:04 PM
So would it be worth my while trying it or would it be just a waste of time and money, as the engine is laying there and I'm never going to use it for anything as it is,

meritlover
01-03-16, 10:47 PM
Only you will know. If you are willing to spend some time and cash then you will learn something even if it doesnt work.

-fred-
01-03-16, 11:00 PM
Might give it a go to c how I get on, never know until I try I suppose lol

_Jake
18-03-16, 05:20 PM
keep an eye out for a T25 off ebay and chuck 1 bar through it please. you can be gineua pig for my forged 1600 8v turbo build lol

meritlover
18-03-16, 05:35 PM
keep an eye out for a T25 off ebay and chuck 1 bar through it please. you can be gineua pig for my forged 1600 8v turbo build lol

What would that prove?

jimbob-mcgrew
19-03-16, 02:55 AM
go for it if you want to fred. dont let anyone put you off.
just bear in mind its gonna cost you a bit to do it.
the 1.6 youve got, is it an injection engine with all the bits on it ? best to use an m.p.i

youll need an intercooler too, and a bunch of pipework,hoses, clips, etc to plumb it in.

make sure you get a stoich sensor & gauge to plumb into the exhaust, to moniter the fuel to air burn.
if the mixture runs lean for a long enough time, the temperatures will spike, and itll prob blow a gasket, or cook something, so you need it to moniter ratios closely, to give you an idea of whats going on inside, if it needs more fuel or whatnot.
a kit like this will prob do :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-PLX-DM-6-SM-AFR-GEN-4-Air-Fuel-Ratio-gauge-w-Bosch-4-9-LSU-wideband-sensor-/121434697332?hash=item1c46126e74:g:KIUAAOSwq7JUEvg k

http://www.lambdasensor.co.uk/main/pic/graph.gif

sure, you can make your own manifolds if you have the gear to do it. will save you a bunch of money.
use the cavs 17td unit if you have it already, itll save you money having to buy one wont it.
it wont be as good as an expensive one obviously, but should do the job, for a trial setup that your after.

look into whats required to plumb in the oil feed and oil return lines for it, plenty of guides online.
check the spindle shaft in the turbo for free movement, and any side to side play, aswell as in and out play, and a good visual check on the fins, and the inside of the housing, for any scratching from the edge of the fins. check the outside body all over for any hairline cracks too.

smaller ones spool up faster, with less of a kick, and less top end power. (smoother power delivery. better for a road car)
bigger ones take an age to spool, and kick in more voilently, with more top end power. (not as smooth delivery, better for racing, or general crazy people) lol

id fit in some sort of cold air feed ducting for the turbo body too, to help keep it cool, as they can get terminator 2 lava hot when you wind them up.

the bit i cant help you with is the boost fueling, you need more to go in, when the boost builds, so that the fuel matches the ratio of air.
ive heard a bunch of people using rising-rate-regulators, to control the fuel. not sure if there plumbed into a vacuum or not tho.
youll have to read up on that one, to get more info.

hope some of that helps.
ill be messing about myself with something similar later in the year, trying not to blow myself up in the process.