PDA

View Full Version : E36 talk

millworm
21-02-16, 11:12 PM
I know somone of you have/had them so what to look out for? I'm doing the grown up thing and selling my sierra now it's all back together. 1 project car is enough lol (the nova is staying obviously). Im looking at 328's mainly atm but won't settle for anything less than what I want not after any drift slag or nothing.

jimbob-mcgrew
22-02-16, 01:56 AM
i think there cool, i was considering getting a 325 4 door saloon years ago, but being skint all the time, i wouldnt have been able to afford the high-ish insurance groups or the thirsty fuel costs.
straight 6 plus rwd should be good fun tho.

novadave24
22-02-16, 02:08 AM
If you buy one you will want to mod it and drift it lol. But yes very nice cars i never had one only e46 and e60

millworm
25-02-16, 01:34 AM
Hmm the insurance is a bit of an issue, but nothing major same as fuel costs. Just want somthing a bit grown up for a daily a sierra don't seem to cut it lol plus I could do with some german reliably lol

meritlover
25-02-16, 10:25 AM
the non M3 bodies have a weak rear subframe mount which results in the subframe tearing away. you cant see this unless you jack it up. They often need welding here and it can go un noticed for ages until you really start pushing them hard.
of course, if you just do the right thing and buy the M3 you wouldnt have that problem...

parts are still cheap. might be dearer than nova parts, but then theyre x10 better made. most of these cars will have done 150k plus now and are probably on their original components so budget for replaceing all suspension arms and TREs. Racks can go but youll want to fit a Z3 rack anyway.

dont rule out a 325, the difference in power is negligable if you fit the 328 manifold to it. look out for frequent oil changes of good qualiuty oil esp if you are looking at engines with VANOS units.

usual body rot points in the chassis rails and jacking points. the underside is deceptively solid looking so people dont jack them up properly and bow the floor/crack the underseal which gives problems later.

rear arches rot but its fairly obvious.
the lip under the rear seal of the saloons often bubbles out into the rear light clusters, it often looks like a minor spot until you pull the boot seal off and poke around.

battery and spare wheel wells can rot out

E36s are harder to come by these days, theyve just evaportated.

totalnova
25-02-16, 12:27 PM
Just buy an e92 much nicer cars :thumb:

millworm
25-02-16, 12:36 PM
Cherrs meritlover very conclusive, e92 is well out my budget and I don't like 46's so it's only option for me. And m3 is a bit uninsurable for a 20 year old lol. The one I'm looking at has 170k I've just found out :eek: but it has has all of the interior changed as has the drive train and engine, so rust will be top priority for me to spot. Will take a jack aswell don't want a lemon. Just wish my sapphire was practical enough to keep

L33 LEG
26-02-16, 10:03 PM
As most know on here I'm in love with E36s lol. I've had quite a few now and they got me addicted to beemers. Just buy one, as long as it's a coupe and a 6 cylinder you'll love it. I'd try and find a 325 if you can't insure an M3. Was the first I had and was the best car I've ever owned. An E46 is a much better and probably cheaper every day car but you can't beat the character of an E36.

A pic of my M3 from last year, wish I kept it!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/L33LEG/BMW%20M3/9C541AE6-88BA-4A2A-969E-EAA492719078-3298-000001425A1F6C34_zpsb613c2f2.jpg

meritlover
26-02-16, 10:15 PM
The more door m3 saloons are fantasticly usable cars.