PDA

View Full Version : Door differences

abznovasport
03-02-16, 07:35 AM
I read there is a difference in early and late doors but it didn't say what it is??
also how can I figure out what I have, I got new doors but have no idea if early or late.

cheers

EwanG
03-02-16, 07:56 AM
It's something to do with the handles sizes I think.

Jack
03-02-16, 12:09 PM
Handle sizes are the same, but the handle bolts go through the door in slightly different positions IIRC

Benn
03-02-16, 01:10 PM
Check strap.

josh-sri
03-02-16, 02:30 PM
Whilst we are on the subject of mk1 and mk2 differences to save me starting a new thread, are there any differences between the slam panels on a mk1 and mk2? My shell is a mk1 but when I fitted my mk2 grille the other day to check clearances the slam panel seemed to be missing the holes required for it to clip in?

slimtater
03-02-16, 07:00 PM
Whilst we are on the subject of mk1 and mk2 differences to save me starting a new thread, are there any differences between the slam panels on a mk1 and mk2? My shell is a mk1 but when I fitted my mk2 grille the other day to check clearances the slam panel seemed to be missing the holes required for it to clip in?

Yes they do - position of VIN plates (+ recessed) and extra holes.

josh-sri
03-02-16, 07:32 PM
Thanks for that, I guessed as much but didn't know if I was just been daft! Time to start hacking at the Slam panel then.

rich a
03-02-16, 07:34 PM
Is there a way of telling the difference in the doors as I've just give the resto company my new doors not realising there are differences. Also are the problems straightforward to overcome or is it a case of early an late doors Just don't mix with opposite shells

Rich

abznovasport
03-02-16, 08:43 PM
I know sports had smaller handles but not sure if the door was different. Im not bothered what door i have fitted or handle but just want to make sure the stickers will look ok. I have the doors on and they fit ok.

slimtater
03-02-16, 09:51 PM
I know sports had smaller handles but not sure if the door was different. Im not bothered what door i have fitted or handle but just want to make sure the stickers will look ok. I have the doors on and they fit ok.

Sport stickers? DMB do them for both types of doors I am led to believe.

Southie
03-02-16, 09:55 PM
As long as the doors have handles that open I wouldn't bother or worry either way and rot free and nobody looks at both sides of a car at the same time..... saying that I was duped on my first nova 23 years ago when some fecking cowboy fit a saloon wing to my hatchback lol

Predctive text tonight is filing my fishing head fin btw arrrrgh...

Royston
03-02-16, 10:17 PM
I took some pics recently to identify Mk1 and Mk2 doors, but don't have them to hand.

Later doors have a heavier emboss where the quarterlight runner fits with the 2 screws, Mk1 doors are almost flush.

Mk 1 handles will fit Mk 2 doors, bur the aperture needs a little fettling with a file (before paint)

you can order Mk 1/Mk2 Sport decals from DMB.

abznovasport
03-02-16, 10:38 PM
Sport stickers? DMB do them for both types of doors I am led to believe.

I believe they do too but i dont know what type of door i have lol

abznovasport
03-02-16, 10:39 PM
I took some pics recently to identify Mk1 and Mk2 doors, but don't have them to hand.

Later doors have a heavier emboss where the quarterlight runner fits with the 2 screws, Mk1 doors are almost flush.

Mk 1 handles will fit Mk 2 doors, bur the aperture needs a little fettling with a file (before paint)

you can order Mk 1/Mk2 Sport decals from DMB.

I guess i should trial fit the door handles i have then to make sure i dont need to axe away the door once painted. Cheers

4ndyr
06-02-16, 10:18 PM
my b reg doors have pins for the rubbing strips to attach to. later ones are just bonded