PDA

View Full Version : corsa epas rack

millworm
01-02-16, 10:14 PM
Engine is due to go back in soon so need a straight answer is it worth swapping to? will it change the way the car drives for the better? and why are the local parts shop telling me its the same as a manual corsa rack?

mk1nova_rich
01-02-16, 10:31 PM
The rack is manual, but with a better ratio than the rack in a non-EPAS car. Its the steering column that has the power assist on it

And yes the 2.75 turn rack will make a very noticeable difference over a standard Nova rack

millworm
01-02-16, 11:47 PM
Ok, they tell me that the rack itself is identical to the corsa manual steering car so not sure were to even source one from, and whether to use corsa rack mounts or nova ones as the corsa one is much bulkier

Novasport
02-02-16, 12:10 AM
The rack casing is identical to the Nova one so it is a direct fit to the bulkhead using the original Nova mounts, or more robust one piece Corsa mount. The track rod arms will need replacing with the shorter Nova items. Also the pinion shaft will need to be shortened(End cut off) as it is longer than the Nova item.
The rack is fitted to EPAS equipped cars. These are usually 1998-2000 Corsa B 1.0 12v or 1.2 16v engined cars equipped with an airbag steering wheel(Usually missing along with the rest of the column in my local scrappy).
They can be removed in situ but it is a bit tight. I removed one and had to use a scissor jack against the bulkhead to push the engine forward to allow it to be pulled free.

millworm
02-02-16, 12:17 AM
right maybe a trip to scrappy is gonna be easier then, was hoping to just have one off the shelf so i didn't have to get covered in crap. and by those dates i think the one i've got my eyes on is a manual one. and no corsa b's breaking for parts near me either. where'd they all go!!!

slimtater
02-02-16, 07:29 AM
The rack casing is identical to the Nova one so it is a direct fit to the bulkhead using the original Nova mounts, or more robust one piece Corsa mount. The track rod arms will need replacing with the shorter Nova items. Also the pinion shaft will need to be shortened(End cut off) as it is longer than the Nova item.
The rack is fitted to EPAS equipped cars. These are usually 1998-2000 Corsa B 1.0 12v or 1.2 16v engined cars equipped with an airbag steering wheel(Usually missing along with the rest of the column in my local scrappy).
They can be removed in situ but it is a bit tight. I removed one and had to use a scissor jack against the bulkhead to push the engine forward to allow it to be pulled free.

Looks good after a refurb though - just need to shorten that pinion shaft:

http://thumbsnap.com/i/ZYalhkmj.jpg

brucer
02-02-16, 07:17 PM
I tried last month to get one from a factors, wasted alot of time. Sending me a normal 4 turn corsa rack and a corsa c 2.7 turn rack. They rang all there supplies and nobody could help.

In the end i managed to get a second hand one but most eejits havnt a clue that are breaking corsas. As soon as you mention epas rack they think your on about the column.

As novasport says, you have to shorten the pinion shaft and add flats further down it and use the track rods off the nova. Will add the pics to my progress thread at some point.

Plug
03-02-16, 10:34 AM
Thinking about doing this conversion, does the nova ignition fit on the corsa rack or barrel?

millworm
03-02-16, 11:54 AM
It's just the rack we're taking about, you retain the nova column

Plug
03-02-16, 12:43 PM
Oh right I may use this in conjunction with an epas coloum aswell, bloody nova will feel like a new car haha

Benn
03-02-16, 01:04 PM
Epas coloum is best and the nova barrel fits, but isn't in the right place to fit the plastic surround. (@ Mr Plug

millworm
03-02-16, 04:21 PM
Epas coloum is best and the nova barrel fits, but isn't in the right place to fit the plastic surround. (@ Mr Plug

In that case then couldn't you just use the corsa shroud?

Edd
03-02-16, 05:12 PM
You need to cut off the bottom of the corsa column tube that the ignition barrel bolts to, cut the same part off a nova column tube, weld together
Then use a dremmel or such like to lengthen the slot where the steering lock pops into on the epas column shaft
Then the nova barrel, indicator housing, column shroud will fit

mk1nova_rich
03-02-16, 06:24 PM
EPAS in a Nova is gay

TomsRustBox
01-06-16, 05:57 PM
Hello quick question, how much did you need to cut off the pinion shaft?

millworm
01-06-16, 07:14 PM
Get the orginal and corsa rack next to each other and cut to the same spec as the nova one

Benn
04-06-16, 12:43 PM
You need to cut off the bottom of the corsa column tube that the ignition barrel bolts to, cut the same part off a nova column tube, weld together
Then use a dremmel or such like to lengthen the slot where the steering lock pops into on the epas column shaft
Then the nova barrel, indicator housing, column shroud will fit

Any pics?

House
04-06-16, 01:39 PM
I've got the Corsa 2.7 rack without the mamby pamby EPAS lollollol

Car is so much better with it fitted, more positive feel, better turn in as less input is required, loads more feel too.

On the old Nova rack the steering didn't really do anything for the first 1/4 turn either way, the new rack has made so much difference.

millworm
04-06-16, 03:46 PM
Still need to get one before engine goes back in!