PDA

View Full Version : Engine bay strengthening/tidy up... Suggestions?

ABoresta
01-02-16, 12:26 PM
Hi all,

Some of you may have read in my project thread I kind of messed up my Alternator cut out and didn't recess it enough, so my alt belt still rubs on fast corners...

My plan before the summer was drop the engine out, and do the following:

- enlarge alt recess (ofc)
- strengthening kit
- stitch weld engine bay
- sort out my clutch cable issue
- tidy up electronics

If anyone has any suggestions on the above it would be appreciated, as always pictures welcome!

Also my heater blower seized up and as my car is really just a summer car now due to other vehicles would you all just be rid of the heater matrix and blower etc or replace/fix the heater blower?

Cheers
Alex

Iain
01-02-16, 12:52 PM
Can you not get away with modifying the alternator? Smaller V pulley, smaller nut, cut down thread, etc. Or maybe a Denso/Nippon tiny alternator like what SBD sell.

Plans however do sound good, nothing really to add apart from make sure behind the turrets are solid.

Up to you as to whether you use the hot blowers, but no blower isn't great when raining in the summer either. Even just using the matrix and a fan like I do recirculates the moist air which isn't great.

I do happen to have a very good condition blower tested & working for sale though ;)

ABoresta
01-02-16, 01:07 PM
Haha I know Iain i was going to contact you if i was going to keep it all, I saw your setup on your build thread was going to see how that worked, i may been in touch with you later in the week if i keep current system.

I didn't think about modifying the alternator just thought if im doing the rest of the work i might as well do the cut out so either alternator will work even if i do change it for a smaller one in the future...

Whats the weight difference between the smaller alternator do you know?

Iain
01-02-16, 01:51 PM
The Denso one weighs in about 2.75kg I believe.

ABoresta
01-02-16, 02:40 PM
hmmmm interesting will defo consider it, have you fitted the strengthening kit on yours? not sure if I should go for fast road or 14 piece kit...

Iain
01-02-16, 02:47 PM
Pics of both kits?

I've not put the strengthening kit on, apart from the turret tops, but every seam is strengthened and I made some plating kit-esque pieces when I did the crossmember.

http://iainel.co.uk/images/forums/NovaWIP2b/018.JPG

ABoresta
01-02-16, 02:51 PM
Hockly site wont let me open pictures larger but here is a screenshot of both kits they have... was going to make my own plates but so much easier to get the kit in my opinion.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh23/alexb1234/Capture.png (http://s252.photobucket.com/user/alexb1234/media/Capture.png.html)

Iain
01-02-16, 03:02 PM
Fast road looks to be chassis legs to crossmember and tiebar brackets? Smash the whole rally kit in bar sump brackets! I think there's a plate fitting guide on here by Olly (trackdaynova).

Plug
01-02-16, 03:44 PM
Have you got solid mounts?

might solve your alternator problems meaning you don't have to cut it out anymore,

ABoresta
01-02-16, 07:16 PM
No that's another thing I was going to do with the engine out. While I'm taking the mounts off I thought I might aswell do the cut outs no?
The top corner of my alternator is very close I didn't make the cut out wide enough it is defo deep enough

ABoresta
01-02-16, 07:20 PM
Is it urethane used to make solid mounts? If someone had a spare set of mounts I could make some up on the cnc at work :P

Iain
01-02-16, 07:52 PM
Do it all. Cut out strengthening plating solid mounts throttle bodies etc

ABoresta
01-02-16, 08:04 PM
Hahahaha throttle bodies thrown in there I like that I wish! I was nearly tempted by a let on here but not sure if I should get another car instead of spending that money... If I found a set up for a good price is defo go for throttle bodies and want some decent cams now too

Iain
01-02-16, 08:07 PM
Pop a sequential box on there while you're at it

ABoresta
01-02-16, 08:12 PM
That's the dream! I'd loveeeee a sequential box!