PDA

View Full Version : F13 gearbox necessary?

nobby_the_sheep
26-01-16, 12:43 PM
Guys,

I have a Mk2 1.2spi nova with what I believe is an F10 5 speed box fitted. As part of my rebuild project I'm aiming to fit a 1600 engine.

Do I need a F13 box? I think GTE / GSI and some SR / SRIs were fitted with an F13. Was this purely to handle the increased engine power?

I do have the option of a cheap F13 from an Astra G. This has an hydraulic clutch though. Is it possible to convert this to cable operated?

Thanks!

Ian.

Stuart
26-01-16, 12:55 PM
You need the F13 for the bigger clutch/flywheel combo.
Power wise, there is no difference in what the boxes can take

nobby_the_sheep
26-01-16, 07:35 PM
You need the F13 for the bigger clutch/flywheel combo.
Power wise, there is no difference in what the boxes can take

Cheers Stuart, yep that does make sense. So the flywheel and clutch assembly is bigger.

I can get a F13 gearbox with a hydraulic operated clutch cheap, can this easily be converted to cable operated? Maybe using some of parts from the F10 gearbox I already have?

Ta

mk1nova_rich
26-01-16, 09:37 PM
The flywheel and clutch are larger and the starter motor is mounted further out.

I doubt a hydraulic box can be converted and even if it can it would be a lot more hassle than its worth. If you struggling to find an F13 box, try looking for an F15 (Corsa B 16v, Tigra) as they are pretty much the same box

Edd
26-01-16, 10:29 PM
Few F13 here if you want to buy one

PM me

jimbob-mcgrew
28-01-16, 02:01 PM
the later gen hydraulic boxes on the astra G dont have the slot to house a cable, its not cast in the mould, as the gearbox mount is in its place.
a lot of the later ones have electronic speedo's too, which wont work, unless modified.

youll need an earlier box.
ideally one with both, a manual clutch, and mechanical speedo.

i might be possible to fit your f10 tho, if you grind a portion of the bell housing off, where the starter motor fouls its fitting. ive seen someone on here do it once before with a 1.4