PDA

View Full Version : Bearings for big block hubs/knuckles

tb16v
19-01-16, 06:25 PM
Just stripped my new hubs and knuckles which are for the big block cv's and shafts xe. Measured up the bearings to replace them and they are larger than the standard nova's. These ones are 39mm id, 68mm od and 37mm normal depth. Any ideas where I can get new ones? Hockly ones maybe? Or read up that certain vw's share this size?

Cheers in advance :thumb:

RallyMarshal
19-01-16, 07:08 PM
Febi 03620 are Audi 80 / Golf Synchro bearings. Check dimensions for yourself but believe these are the ones..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Febi-Wheel-Bearing-Kit-Part-Number-3620-/351536874120

Paul..

Jonlem
19-01-16, 07:15 PM
Personally I would use the zero tolerance ones from Hockly

tb16v
20-01-16, 12:42 PM
Thanks lads much appreciated

Iain
20-01-16, 01:02 PM
What is a zero tolerance bearing?

Jonlem
20-01-16, 01:25 PM
Its a bearing Hockly sell that works, use the terminology loosely.

The chap with the red nova I post about had issues with the rotor touching the uniball whilst out on track, many things were tried and he eventually changed to the HH bearings and its not been a problem since.

Iain
20-01-16, 01:37 PM
I've had good results with FAG bearings, I think I put a few part numbers here

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?187789-HOW-TO-Big-block-hubs-with-machined-hubs-knuckles

Assuming we're talking about the same bearing mods here!

Jonlem
20-01-16, 01:44 PM
Grp A stuff yes, tried Fag, SKF etc, its a circuit use issue, next time the Corsa is in I'll post a pic of the ball joint where its touched a few times prior to changing the bells.

Iain
20-01-16, 01:55 PM
I've had about 2 years worth of open pit trackdays on slicks on my FAGs, but I guess if you have something incredibly close to the hub/disc then you have a better way of measuring actual problematic movement than I do.

I thought you made different rotors to overcome that issue? But you solved it prior with new bearings?

Jonlem
20-01-16, 02:07 PM
We had bells made to change the rotor offset which means they don't rub under normal conditions but they have still kissed the uniball at some point so we changed the bearings and they have "so far" been ok.

Keep in mind I think this is quite a standard issue but as most people are not using the Hockly kit its not been an issue, the 3 cars I have now dealt with the Alcon 295 kit have all had this issue though, its one reason I had my own AP kit done but the costs were high and generally I doubt it would of been a seller as I'm sure you appreciate £1800 on a brake kit is out of most peoples budget.

tb16v
20-01-16, 10:16 PM
Remember on your build thread about this lain, doing the same as you bearings wise and il see how they go! Got some coming tomorrow. Cheers for all the info and help on this

Benn
21-01-16, 01:11 PM
Good info here and in IaIn's thread. MY place keeps the bearings in stock. Well did, i just bought the last two.
As i'm gonna looking in to this too.