PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass bonnet/boot & Perspex windows weight saving?

treborfields
17-01-16, 11:13 PM
Does anybody know the weight saving of fibreglass boots and bonnets and plastic rear windows over the standard items?

Somebody must have weighed the standard and new when doing a build?

Iain
18-01-16, 01:07 PM
Bonnet and bootlid both weigh approx 12kg. Their Fibreglass equivalents (double skinned not just outers) are around 5-6kg.

Window weights here: http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?85108-My-Nova-16v-Project/page26

So that's 8.9kg glass and 3.6kg polycarbonate for the rear three.

Mxcrazy
18-01-16, 01:34 PM
Not massive savings then, but it all adds up, especially weight up high. I am too tight to go fibreglass wings and bumpers, but i will have fibreglass bonnet, rear hatch and fibreglass skinned doors, poly windows and going to make a concious effort to keep things light and minimal.

http://shop.ramsport.com/collections/vauxhal-corsa-nova-parts check these guys out.

Iain
18-01-16, 01:43 PM
I suspect there's very minimal savings on the wings, as they are quite light to begin with. Bumpers can have the iron removed and be quite light by themselves too.

Weight savings significant enough to be worth doing I think, as it's all up high. I went for windows and bonnet, considering tailgate but considering weight distribution more than over-all savings.

Good website, doesn't seem to add delivery on either, so that implies it's £110 for a bonnet posted? Bargain.

Mxcrazy
18-01-16, 01:45 PM
Its a bit iffy the site, i beleive they are plus vat and delivery. Still cheap though.

Iain
18-01-16, 01:45 PM
I went to checkout via Paypal and it wanted to charge a total of 110 lol

Mxcrazy
18-01-16, 01:51 PM
Ideal then.

edit, from an email i had a while back, prices are plus delivery plus vat, delivery was quoted at £10.

paul james
18-01-16, 06:41 PM
The fibreglass wings I got are half the weight of steel ones:

MK1 steel wing – 3.3 Kg
MK1 Fibreglass wing – 1.49 Kg

I see they do carbon bonnets on that site for £330, which is significantly cheaper than I've seen them elsewhere before. Tempting...

8valve-craig
18-01-16, 06:52 PM
I will have a pair of mk2 fibreglass wings for sale soon.

And from personal experience don't bother with the bonnet, just skin a steel one.

Iain
18-01-16, 06:54 PM
My experience would say fit a double skinned fibreglass one rather than skinning it!

8valve-craig
18-01-16, 07:53 PM
Care to elaborate Iainenie?

Iain
18-01-16, 08:59 PM
Well I did one few years ago and it ended up floppy and was hard to do without damaging the skin. You end up with roughly the same weight as a fibreglass one so I don't see the benefit.

My bonnet is very well made and doesn't sag or flop when on the stay

8valve-craig
18-01-16, 09:03 PM
I had one off that CMComposites kid, it weighed a ton. Skinned a Nova one with a bit of heat and its lighter.

Astra one was skinned and a bit floppy, but never bothered me.

Iain
18-01-16, 09:09 PM
Mine from eurorallye and feels sturdy and light. Might depend where they're from. Congrats on getting hold of him and managing to buy products though!

8valve-craig
18-01-16, 09:15 PM
Haha, that was years ago, he's even worse now. Avoid like the plague.

treborfields
21-01-16, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

Nobby
22-01-16, 09:58 PM
Well I did one few years ago and it ended up floppy and was hard to do without damaging the skin. You end up with roughly the same weight as a fibreglass one so I don't see the benefit.

My bonnet is very well made and doesn't sag or flop when on the stay

My non strengthened bonnet came up in the middle at about 50mph. Imo don't bother for what you will save it won't make a difference just have a good shit

8valve-craig
23-01-16, 07:11 AM
There is a v shaped cut out right in the middle on the front edge which allowed the fold line down the middle. That needs welding up.