PDA

View Full Version : MOT time.....:(....faild....NEED YOUR HELP ()

Barn
23-09-03, 12:38 PM
got MOT 2day.car is being worked on as I write.i no its gonna fail, coz it needs 2 new sills welded and also the floor done.anyone got any idea how much this should cost to do??150?

will be interesting 2 c what it fails on....will keep u posted!

:wink:

wisewood
23-09-03, 12:56 PM
let us know mate.

no idea how much for the repairs yuo stated - last time mine failed on all sorts of stuff so i took it to the garage across the road and said "they said they can get it through MOT for 70 quid, can you beat that, if yuoc an you can have the work..."

They looked at car and failure certificate thing and said "ummmmmm yeah alright then, but should cost loads more than 70 quid!"

lol - a victory to me!

Fortunately the clio passed first time, even though i know it shouldnt have done! brakes were shagged.

Barn
23-09-03, 04:17 PM
it failed....in style.

needs 300 quids worth of welding :cry:

fcukin gutted...totally.didn't realise it would cost so much

really don't know what to do now????get rid of it or wot?

gutted

locky
23-09-03, 04:36 PM
300 quid! where 2 does it need it?

Ste_Nova
23-09-03, 04:40 PM
filler and seam sealer then off to another mot place

nov4
23-09-03, 07:18 PM
its costing me 150 for 2 sills a small hole in the floor that i missed when doing the rest and a small hole on the inner arch. depends how much is needed on the floor

srs1
23-09-03, 07:52 PM
that's steep. my last car an sr had that much welding that, it was welding on welding holding it together. last time it had 13 welds done including battery tray, front strut rear axle and a engine mount. when it gets to that stage, you need to find a replacement or scrap. it's dead money otherwise.

Gazza14SR
23-09-03, 08:49 PM
if you have like novadose/magnum skirts smoothed onto the car, do these have to be removed when repairing the sill?

RobIsGrt18
23-09-03, 08:50 PM
my nova failed on a list as long as your arm the first time round, fixed a few bits up took it to a place my dad knew and it got thro :P :D !!

...i did the clio's the other week, only failed on the brake hoses, ?18 later it was all fixed up and took back for a re-test and passed, bit strange for a french car i kno lol !!

epo
23-09-03, 09:36 PM
mine failed on a hole on the cross member me and me dad welded it up the same night put it back in next day and it passed was more worried bout it failin on the exhaust bin 2 loud

Barn
23-09-03, 10:15 PM
right got the MOT sheet in front of me.....this is what it says (these are the bits that need welding)....

n/s and o/s outer sills holed (full)
o/s/r and n/s/r boot floor holed
o/s/f inner wing holed
o/s/f and n/s/f slam panel holed
o/s/f cross member holed
o/s/f inner wing holed
n/s/f inner wing split
o/s/f floor holed (half length)
n/s/f floor holed (large)
repair incomplete on o/s/r chassis

:!:

c'mon guys I really need ur help. is it worth me gettin this work done or look for a new car altogether. i fcukin love this car! :cry: don't wunna blow ?300 tho if its basically gonna b a piece of shite after having the work done. it will be solid once its dun tho right?!

that's steep.....when it gets to that stage, you need to find a replacement or scrap. it's dead money otherwise.
is this true yeh?

please help ppl

Gazza14SR
23-09-03, 10:23 PM
its entirely up to you. Once all thats done, the body of the car should be as good as new. Ive been in a similar situation with mine recently (not welding work though) and all in all its gonna cost near enough to 500 quid but as the car is my pride and joy and dont really want nethin else i am keeping it and getting the work done.

dave.gsi
23-09-03, 10:24 PM
mines off to an hgv yard tommorow for some welding (my dad knows the guy there). outer sills, floor and inner wings all need plating up for the mot. sideskirts have had to come off for doing the sills so the car looks a bit gay at the mo where theres loads of white clips and a bit of left over sticky stuff. hopefully should be back legal within a few days though:D

srs1
23-09-03, 10:28 PM
ok mate look at it this way if it helps. i could not afford a new motor at the time, so for 13 welds done and other bits it cost me ?350. i know a man..... it was a simple choice. wang the money from credit card, pay back later. sorted. 12 months tax...christmas prezzy..sorted. i'm let loose on the roads for 12 months. happy days are here again. think what you can afford and what you want deep down. it hurt watching the car go to the scrap heap, after 4 years. but i couldn't repair it again. instead i swindled a gte for ?500 and it's pretty good.

Serialkilla
23-09-03, 10:33 PM
?40 to get my car though mot unless it has a major failure that could a cause a death.

:lol:

Bet no one can beat that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

epo
23-09-03, 10:36 PM
me gte's inner wings were seriously fucked i had 3/4" plate welded 2 them 4 mot got it thro then just before next mot had the same prob so thought fuck it thats it the cars gotta go

Barn
23-09-03, 10:39 PM
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

Gazza14SR
23-09-03, 10:40 PM
mines off to an hgv yard tommorow for some welding (my dad knows the guy there). outer sills, floor and inner wings all need plating up for the mot. sideskirts have had to come off for doing the sills so the car looks a bit gay at the mo where theres loads of white clips and a bit of left over sticky stuff. hopefully should be back legal within a few days though:D

do you know if skirts like Novadose and magnum ones have to come off to repair sills? what if these have been blended in?

cheers

dave.gsi
23-09-03, 10:45 PM
i reckon they'd have to come off if the outer sills need doing. could be wrong though

srs1
23-09-03, 10:46 PM
your skirts are coming off whether youlike it or not matey. depending on what welding gear there running. if it's the old classic burning torch, expect them to look like bread in a toaster for 10 mins. take em off, seal the new sills, paint them and forget about them.

Barn
23-09-03, 10:54 PM
guys, please don't throw it off thread as this is REALLY important 2 me.

is it different with welding tho Gazza mate? if my bodywork will be solid and as good as new after having it done then it might be worth it right?

:?:

Gazza14SR
23-09-03, 11:07 PM
'personally' id do it, you could go buy another nova or whatever then when it comes round to the mot again there could be the same problems with that, at least you know it wont need doing again if you do go through with it.

welding is used on numerous things and alot of aircraft engine parts where i work and you dont get an engine back from the customer after 6months saying bits need re-welding, if the job is done correctly you shouldnt have problems for at least acouple of yrs.

dave.gsi
23-09-03, 11:08 PM
wont be good as new. will pass the mot though

Barn
24-09-03, 12:11 PM
filler and seam sealer then off to another mot place

thats what the cnut who had it before must've done, that's why im in the shit now :cry:

sounds like it will b worth it.

after all I don't want to go spending a couple of grand on bodywork mods i.e. GSI kit and respray then for it to fall apart underneath!

as long as it will b solid after the weldings' done and will last il do it, that's what i really wanted to find out.

Gazza14SR
24-09-03, 12:27 PM
i took my rear bumper off the other day to size it up for my fusion rear ad the whole rear end of the car nearly fell off! Thats being repaired at the minute.

The way i see it is, firstly get the structure/body/mechanical aspects of the car sorted then carry out the mods. Round where i live its very hard to find a decent nova shell so if you wanna keep it round here you have to pay for abit of work on it.

Barn
24-09-03, 02:07 PM
i took my rear bumper off the other day to size it up for my fusion rear ad the whole rear end of the car nearly fell off! Thats being repaired at the minute.

The way i see it is, firstly get the structure/body/mechanical aspects of the car sorted then carry out the mods. Round where i live its very hard to find a decent nova shell so if you wanna keep it round here you have to pay for abit of work on it.

yeh mate, its the same around here too. u jus aint gonna find a v.good shell even where I live. and even if u did it would be totally screwed to fcuk. it's just annoying how w*nkers in say a garage think ur car is a piece of sh*t jus coz it needs welding etc. pisses me right off. I think i will get my car welded now.
thaks for ur help 2 mate

Barn

Dave_Hay
24-09-03, 03:50 PM
scrap it......

if it needs this much welding this year it will need more next year!

i scrapped mine and i had less welding needed than you.

Barn
24-09-03, 06:40 PM
scrap it......

if it needs this much welding this year it will need more next year!

i scrapped mine and i had less welding needed than you.

so who did u take advice off mate?
how do u know u did the right thing?
if i scrap it, wot do i tell insurance etc, i wont get my money back will i?

im in one hell of a fcukin dilemma thats why i need your guys help! as u prob no more than me!

Jim
24-09-03, 07:26 PM
People have given you suggestions, but at the end of the day, its your money, your car, so your decision. What sort of Nova is it? Is it a Mk1 or Mk2? What do you think the value of the car is really worth? If it's not worth ?500 then I personnaly wouldn't spend another ?300 on the car as this will be dead money. I would look at stripping it down and selling what parts I can and then look for a new car.

This might not be what you wanted to hear, but this is what I would do with the information that you have put.

Jim

Stuart
24-09-03, 07:32 PM
there are loads of novas in and around swansea/south wales area. yeah ok they arent in the best condition but you can sort minor stuff out before it gets out of hand.

if you are concerned that the engine etc in the "new" one is screwed, move all of your stuff over.

you will have a sound platform to move on from.

with yours in its current state id by the whole SEL shopping list and repair the entire car. lon time and a little pricey but hey its better than having random plates welded everywhere.

my "step" woman that married my dad, had her nova scrapped and it was hed together with paint.

its not so much a negative look, but more of an objective pro and con weigh up

Barn
24-09-03, 08:05 PM
appreciate the advice.

Jim, its a MK2 SR, i bought it for ?500 about 2 months ago. not sure if its worth this tho. prob not in the current state however the engine has done 131K but is sound and the interior is in tidy shape. got a new Rage exhaust, its lowered, got astra alloys, CD player and 6x9s.

if I decided to scrap it...what do I tell my insurance?

CP
24-09-03, 10:09 PM
1. Tell em you cant afford it and look downcast and see if they take pity on you and lower the price. If not:
2. Take it to other places and get different quotes - just say you've been told it needs a "bit of welding"
3. If you cant get it done for like half the price start looking for a new shell - no need to mention anything to insurance until you have done the swap ( I think?)

nova23
24-09-03, 10:12 PM
To make you feel better this is what i had to repair on my 87 nova!

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99347

Dave_Hay
24-09-03, 10:16 PM
you wont get any money for your car as it is - youll have to strip it and sell parts to make money if u dont get it welded.

i personally wouldnt weld up ur car as its high miles and worth next to nothing - find a new shell.

i took advice of myself and my mechanic - not worth welding up a rotting shell

your car will now become scrap so u wont have insurance - itll need to be cancelled.

i know it sounds harsh but it sounds like u were sold a shed!

dan16v
24-09-03, 10:30 PM
scrap it its not worth the money!
just re shell it! rust always comes bk! and id h8 to look under my car and see alod of shoddy patches welded every where!!
you can get a shell pritty cheap now adays!

Barn
24-09-03, 11:38 PM
i don't really no wot u mean by re shell it tho dan mate?!
i aint experienced with cars @ the mo and i am skint. if i could get the work dun for ?150 like CP said i might just do it. thing is I had BIG plans for this car! i.e full GSI kit and respray

dave.gsi
24-09-03, 11:41 PM
use the money you were going to use on a respray etc on finding a new car.

burgo
27-09-03, 05:36 PM
why did u put it in b4 doin the stuff u new about surely its just a waste of money i would have done the work i could find and then put it in makes much more sence

Barn
27-09-03, 05:42 PM
why did u put it in b4 doin the stuff u new about surely its just a waste of money i would have done the work i could find and then put it in makes much more sence

gota free retest anyway so its irrelevant. wanted to see if it was just the welding that needed doin. only found the rust when i jacked my car up the day before the MOT was due!

BTW decided to get it welded, instead of getting a new car
cheers for the advice lads :+:

burgo
27-09-03, 07:02 PM
its only free if u go back to em within 7 days usually aint it so can u get the work done in that time

dave.gsi
27-09-03, 10:05 PM
14 days on mine. don't think i'll be taking it back though cos its past the point of no return, probably off to the scrapyard next week :(

new car here i come :D