PDA

View Full Version : <---- New Member

cooPz
23-09-03, 12:15 PM
:D hi, 16 yr old lad from leics here, ne1 wanna gimme some tips on what car 2 buy when i turn 17(january 7th) dont no wot 2 get yet, novas r ok but is fiesta any good? if not what about 205? theyr my fave 3 cars. i also like Astra (old 1s) but really not sure what 2 get? any help would be nice

Alex
23-09-03, 12:17 PM
hmm you come on NOVAload and ask what is a good car to buy for your first one :lol:

cooPz
23-09-03, 12:20 PM
yea but wanted to no wat da best 1 is of the above? been lookin at NOVALoad for a while but never registered

krobinson
23-09-03, 12:25 PM
Nova

krobinson
23-09-03, 12:28 PM
Out of the above, mk1 astra GTE, or mk2 astra GTE 16v would be the best...

But lets be realistic, your not gonna find a clean mk1 GTE astra, you'll be hard pushed to find a clean mk2! and you'd never insure any of them!

A 1.2 granny owned clean nova, and plenty of money to mod it!

Keith

cooPz
23-09-03, 12:32 PM
i get a bit of cash 4 me bday so will buy a car with that then save with cash from work (dont have a job yet) but am studying electrical installation at college looking for an apprenticeship, its hard 2 choose between a Nova and Astra, m8 has an Astra i helpin him with

Dpnova
Out of the ones above, u should get a Nova!!!

wisewood
17 years old (a week before i am 24 :lol:) you wanna be getting a nova mate.

Nova is easy to work on and cheap to run/insure and modify and so much better than a fiesta, and certainly nicer to look at than a 205. :D

As alex said, no point coming ontoa nova site and asking if you should have a nova, a fiesta or a 205 - if we were into fiesta's or 205's we would own them wouldnt we :D

Welcome to novaload by the way :D

Barn
23-09-03, 12:35 PM

Nova is easy to work on and cheap to run/insure and modify and so much better than a fiesta, and certainly nicer to look at than a 205. :D

As alex said, no point coming ontoa nova site and asking if you should have a nova, a fiesta or a 205 - if we were into fiesta's or 205's we would own them wouldnt we :D

as the wise one said

Barn
23-09-03, 12:35 PM

as the wise one said

linzTDI
23-09-03, 02:00 PM
think about your insurance mate.
if your gonna get a nova get a small engine one 1.0l or 1.2 as i have a 1.5 and pay ?100 per month and its killin me!

corsas are even cheaper

Will
23-09-03, 02:17 PM
insurance for 17 and 18 yr olds is worse than ever

you here of kids paying ?1500 for a tpft policy on a nova, madness, i pay just under a grand on a gsi now and i think that is utter madness but it is group 11 after all.

Defo a 1.2 or 1.3 if u can stretch (group 5)

consider going under your parents name for a year or 2, there are big pros and cons against this as lots of ppl will tell u, but i did it and came out better off in the long run.

1st years insurance: ?360 under dad on 1.2

2nd years: ?770 on 1.2 by myself

3rd years: ?498 on 1.4 90bhp, swapped to gsi ?400 more for the remaining of policy, DOH!!

4th year: predicting ?600 @ 21 on gsi modded engine and shell watch this space :D willllllllll

BTW: Get a NOVAAAAAAA ;)

good luck

linzTDI
23-09-03, 02:21 PM
As soon as you turn 17 get your parent to put you on theres then when you come to pass your test in say a few months/year time that counts as no claims so if you learn how to drive in a year and pass your test (remember waiting lists for tests etc)

Also you can do a pass plus i found that every company i phoned asked if i had a pass plus certificate but i couldnt be bothered to do that triaing but you can save ?100's

jim sri
23-09-03, 02:22 PM
get a mk2 (facelifted) H plate-J/K sr if you want central locking, leccy windows, tilt and slide sunroof etc, the insurance wont be too bad either, maybe go onto your parents insurance first year then go on your own policy yr2.
make sure you get a fairly rot-free one, then when you turn 18/19, drop a 2l 16v or 2l 16v turbo in, easy and will see you killing imprezza's etc...
you know you want a nova :lol:

Fester
23-09-03, 02:38 PM
you dont get any no claims discount if you are a named driver

didnt like it at the time but my parents just said no way get your own policy, its harsh at first, even though yeah you may have an accident and it 'wasnt worth it in the end' its good to try and build up as much as possible in your own name

take the hit for a couple of years and it will open up different cars a few years down the line

ps. NOVA!

linzTDI
23-09-03, 02:48 PM
well when i got my insurance they asked how long i had been on my dad he lied and said 6 month or something they said oh thats a shame as if it was a year that would go towards no claims bonus

Fester
23-09-03, 02:49 PM
wheres novanutter when you need him...

wisewood
23-09-03, 02:51 PM
i suppose if you could prove that you had been on parents policy for that time they might let you get away with it!

but seems unlikely these days.

Will
23-09-03, 03:25 PM
pass plus is good

very few companys will give u named driver ncb, some do but its not full discount and usually doesnt make the policy much different.

none of the usual car modding places like LV, flux, hic do named driver ncb tranfers as far as i know........

CP
23-09-03, 03:58 PM
You wont want ot hear this but....

.....get the smallest engined piece of cheap shit you can find. So long as it runs sweet, its got a long MOT / road tax on it and 4 decent wheels thats what you wanna get cos insurance is going to cane. TBH it doesnt really matter what make of car you buy - the base models are all pretty grotty really. Spend as little as you can buying it. If after a year you havent crashed it/it hasnt blown up and you go to get it MOT'd and it fails big time bin it and buy another.
In the meantime save some money in an ISA until you can afford the insurance on a car you really want.

You are likely to have to spend around ?4K on insurance for the first 5 years just for the "priviledge" of driving a piece of tat around on our wonderful congested roads even in a 1.0l :!:

Will
23-09-03, 04:10 PM
I think what CP is trying to say is:

go out buy one of these

1. 2CV

2. 1.0 B reg metro

3. 1.0 E reg micra (with no passenger wing mirror, pmsl)

4. 1.0 B reg fiesta (yes the mk2 like the XR poo shell)

5. 1.0 mk1 nova (maybe)

I think you get the idea, i think i was lucky, insurance has always been rising but i passed at a time when all the "sue" culture was kicking off in this country, in the 3 years ive ben driving insurance has effectively doubled for 17 year olds.

in my 3 years of driving ive been lucky to only have to pay out approx: ?1900 insurance in total :)

Even a 1.0 shit box will cost a grand to insure 3rd party these days its just harsh fact of life im afraid. If its any consulation then wen your older it gets cheaper on the following basis

19: 1st milestone to gettin a little cheaper allthough in a few years this wont mean a thing i think

21: things get a fair bit cheaper

25: your old its now cheap, if u have full NCB your laffing

30 - 65 - cheap as chips for all

70+ ur old and blind they start charging u loads more again.

my nan is 84 she still drives ( :o yes i know :? ) but her premium goes up loads each year the older she gets, no crashes and more and more NCB but it goes up without fail as u get older, lmfao. She only drives to the shops and that prob never gettin above 50mph, she keeps asking me to take her car out and give it a good spin, mmmmmmmmm 1.6 merc A class :D lmfao.

Will

Mark
23-09-03, 05:53 PM
Hello and Welcome - Oh and NOVA!!

Paul
24-09-03, 12:43 AM
Hello, I'm still 16, my cars below:

Bought as completely bog standar mk1 sr.

Shows what a bit oif work can do.

b34ney
24-09-03, 12:55 AM
Im new on this site aswell.....im good mates with Keith Robinson most of yous will probably know him... im 17 years old and I bought a 1993 1.2 SXI Red Nova a few months ago.. passed me theory test last week and now going to book my practical test, I have my nova lowered 60mm pi springs and shocks all round, 15 inch astra ls wheels for now! gsi spoiler which came on her, and a yaris back wiper which looks pretty class, im getting gsi front and rear bumpers and gsi side skirts!! getting her looking like a gsi rep for the moment untill I can afford insurance on something abit bigger than 1.2 as im from Northern Ireland and the insurance is very very dear over here compared to England!! Nice to find a web site with nova lovers on it, hope to speak to yous all!! add me 2 messenger if anyone interested 8)

Beaney

steve-o
24-09-03, 01:27 AM
i bought my 1.2 when i was 18 and paid ?500 to insure it i insurded soon as i got it and by the time i passed i nearly had a years no claims.

now at 22 i can insure my GTE valver for ?570, which is always nice.

gavman462
24-09-03, 02:09 AM
if you want cheap insurance give liverpool victoria a try, im 18 now been driving for about 9 months and for my 1.0l nova they charged me ?780 fully comp.

?Marty?
24-09-03, 04:04 PM
Peugeot 205 is the best choice out of the three.

Novas suck.

linzTDI
24-09-03, 04:06 PM
now now marty behave