PDA

View Full Version : Coolant

ShawnAzzopardi
15-12-15, 08:28 PM
Alright, I know there's a ton of colors (Green, red, orange, pink, blue, purple, etc) But do they have different benefits? Can they be used interchangeably (as in, can any engine run them? Not mixed, just a single color) because someone told me that the red has a "sealing" effect when it mixes with air, and I'm wondering about the accuracy of this information, as well as curiosity about the colors and their benefits, as well as which brand has it best.

marc69
15-12-15, 08:54 PM
My mate has red in his jag and it leaks.

mowgli
15-12-15, 10:55 PM
Surely you can find a spec for the Isuzu coolant.

conza123
15-12-15, 11:07 PM
Red/pink ones are listed as longlife antifreeze compared to blue,

ive always used quantum (genuine vw) pink longlife stuff and never had a problem,

and I use vw stuff and get really good discount threw work and doesn't look watered down like some others do

Benn
15-12-15, 11:27 PM
1. Never mix them.

If you mix red and blue together it starts to turn to jelly over time.

Pink/Red is meant for new cars. As something in it can rot the old style alloy in the head. where as Blue wont.

millworm
16-12-15, 01:04 AM
There is really early blue witch as above is only comparable with blue. This is in 60s stuff really old tat and it's also hard to get hold of. The later red and blue are interchangeable and the most common the diffrent colour is mealy an indication of its lifespan. Green is also equivalent to blue from what I remember it's just a Toyota thing from memory. Go red personally unless your a hardcore purist who wants blue in because it's period lol.

ShawnAzzopardi
16-12-15, 07:00 AM
I'm gonna reply to everyone, because I dunno how to make a multiquote post

Mowgli: Everyone over here runs green as far as I know, except those cars that came from the manufacturer with different colored coolant

Conza123: You run the pink in your VW, or do you also have a Vauxhall/whichever that runs the stuff as well?

Benn: I'd never mix coolant unless it was the same color, and my cylinder head is cast iron, as well as the rest of the engine

Millworm: I'm really considering red. I think I'm gonna service my cooling system over Christmas break. Change out all the hoses and thermostat and clean up the reservoir tank and everything, and then just pour in red.

conza123
16-12-15, 10:52 AM
I put red/pink in everything
was in my a3
was in my 1.3 Sr
wqs in my c20let nova
and gonna be in it when the c20xe goes in the nova for time being

ShawnAzzopardi
16-12-15, 06:48 PM
I put red/pink in everything
was in my a3
was in my 1.3 Sr
wqs in my c20let nova
and gonna be in it when the c20xe goes in the nova for time being

Looks like I'll be buying some red. Does it also "cool better"?

conza123
16-12-15, 07:11 PM
Dunno really lol

ShawnAzzopardi
16-12-15, 08:45 PM
Dunno really lol
Maybe I'll buy the unmixed one and just mix it in a 60/40 mix

conza123
16-12-15, 09:15 PM
I only buy concentrate and mix it myself

meritlover
16-12-15, 09:40 PM
It tastes sweeter if you drink it neat.

Southie
16-12-15, 10:10 PM
It tastes sweeter if you drink it neat.
Sometimes jokes appear funny but the outcome becomes a deadly nightmare:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1510198/Antifreeze-prank-left-man-deaf-and-blind.html

ShawnAzzopardi
17-12-15, 04:37 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1510198/Antifreeze-prank-left-man-deaf-and-blind.html
Deaf and blind? Really not that big of a deal. I'm tired of seeing and hearing stupid shit anyway.

Benn
17-12-15, 08:18 AM
The later red and blue are interchangeable and the most common the diffrent colour is mealy an indication of its lifespan. .

No they arn't. They are made from different chemicals. Which you can't mix.

Green can be mixed with either, but red and blue shouldn't be mixed.

meritlover
17-12-15, 12:17 PM

Ye but at least he's immune to frost-bite

ShawnAzzopardi
17-12-15, 06:36 PM
I taste coolant every once in a while. I quite like the taste. And when I say taste, I mean I dip my finger in and that's it

Benn
17-12-15, 07:05 PM
Not very good for you. You can buy testers you know..lol

meritlover
17-12-15, 07:35 PM
I taste coolant every once in a while. I quite like the taste. And when I say taste, I mean I dip my finger in and that's it

I normally use my mouth.

ShawnAzzopardi
17-12-15, 08:28 PM
Not very good for you. You can buy testers you know..lol
What's good for you these days anyway.

ShawnAzzopardi
17-12-15, 08:29 PM
I normally use my mouth.
You dirty whore ;)

meritlover
17-12-15, 08:57 PM
What's good for you these days anyway.

Agreed. One minute its processed meat and cigarettes, next itll be benzenes, asbestos and radioisotopes. What do they know?