PDA

View Full Version : Tools thread

ShawnAzzopardi
28-11-15, 04:12 PM
All talk about tools. Question about tools? Ask it here. Need an opinion on brand/material/etc. Anything tools, goes.

conza123
28-11-15, 04:43 PM
Well I use snap on mainly at work as he's the only bloke who can be Asked to come in but most of the newer stuff is shit and made of cheese tbh

turbojolt
28-11-15, 04:45 PM
The best tool I've ever bought is a proper jack makes every job so much easier then the rubbish 10 quid jobbies

ShawnAzzopardi
28-11-15, 04:50 PM
The best tool I've ever bought is a proper jack makes every job so much easier then the rubbish 10 quid jobbies
Jack as in floor jack? Because I'm looking at buying one of those. The one I have in my Nova is one I nicked off an E30. The bloody thing costs a 1/6th of the car ffs.

ShawnAzzopardi
28-11-15, 04:53 PM
Well I use snap on mainly at work as he's the only bloke who can be Asked to come in but most of the newer stuff is shit and made of cheese tbh
I've heard they're the best. I went tool shopping yesterday and bought me some Truper tools. First tool set, so not looking to spend the US's gold reserves on tools for the time being. Just got myself a 9/16 ratchet and socket set, with both metric and imperial sockets, a screw driver with all the bits you could ever need, and a set of spanners for the time being, as well as a set of Allen keys. Next up is a set of ratcheting spanners, and some impact sockets, as well as those spanners mostly used for brake jobs, forgot what they're called.

Also Mastercraft/MAC tools aren't half bad, so I've heard.

mk1nova_rich
28-11-15, 05:08 PM
I use Halfords Professional stuff, good quality and not too dear. More than good enough for the home mechanic...breaker bars, ratchet and sockets, ratchet spanners etc

ShawnAzzopardi
28-11-15, 05:18 PM
I use Halfords Professional stuff, good quality and not too dear. More than good enough for the home mechanic...breaker bars, ratchet and sockets, ratchet spanners etc
I'll be honest, I don't know what brand of tools we get a lot of over here. Mostly PowerFix (from Lidl) is what people get. They're not too bad, actually. I'll look into the Halfords stuff though

ellis_12345
28-11-15, 05:46 PM
what are peoples opinions on the big halfords socket set as i've heard a few people say they are really good, but i'm not sure if it's worth it as i wont be using it day in day out. wondering wether i'd be better off with a smaller cheaper set

House
28-11-15, 06:08 PM
what are peoples opinions on the big halfords socket set as i've heard a few people say they are really good, but i'm not sure if it's worth it as i wont be using it day in day out. wondering wether i'd be better off with a smaller cheaper set

I've got the 300 piece big one mate!! Can't fault it really, broke one torx bit trying to do head bolts but they replace anything that breaks aslong as you take the receipt into store.

Built 2 engines and use it for everything on the car with no probs. Good buy, I managed to get it for half price somehow, some deal or something.

Southie
28-11-15, 06:18 PM
I'm a tool... that is all.

ShawnAzzopardi
28-11-15, 06:46 PM
I'm a tool... that is all.
https://auluftwaffles.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/we-know.png

ellis_12345
28-11-15, 07:28 PM
I've got the 300 piece big one mate!! Can't fault it really, broke one torx bit trying to do head bolts but they replace anything that breaks aslong as you take the receipt into store.

Built 2 engines and use it for everything on the car with no probs. Good buy, I managed to get it for half price somehow, some deal or something.
if thats the one that was originally £300, its been at £150 for a while now but its down to £125 for this weekend i think so its tempting

House
28-11-15, 07:36 PM
if thats the one that was originally £300, its been at £150 for a while now but its down to £125 for this weekend i think so its tempting

Sounds about right mate, for £125 it's an absolute steal!!!!! Defo worth it!!! Alright it's not snap-on but it's good enough for work at home in the garage!!

Stuart
28-11-15, 07:49 PM
I've had excellent experience with yamoto and Kennedy tools from Cromwell. Got the odd stuff from halfords (ratchet spanners are key) but the problem replacment being advanced isn't as good imho.

bazzap8389
28-11-15, 08:04 PM
^ its Cromwell we get most of our work tools from all work spot on with plenty of abuse.

Rob H
28-11-15, 09:09 PM
I don't personally have the halfords set but I remember my friend saying the sockets are different drive sizes which annoyed him. Like for instance you can't use the big rachet with the 10mm or the small rachet with say the 22mm, but other than that he rates it.

It does have a lot of stuff in it, would be especially good for someone just starting a tool collection. Quality seems bang on and as said above they replace anything that breaks anyway so win win. If I was in the market for some tools I would probably get it tbh.

House
28-11-15, 09:14 PM
I don't personally have the halfords set but I remember my friend saying the sockets are different drive sizes which annoyed him. Like for instance you can't use the big rachet with the 10mm or the small rachet with say the 22mm, but other than that he rates it.

Yeah that is annoying but you get used to it!! haha

mk1nova_rich
28-11-15, 09:18 PM
I use a 3/8" breaker bar every day at work, mostly with the Halfords Allen bits (which are very durable) but the socket range for 3/8" drive is fairly handy, although surely for anything over 19mm you would want to be using 1/2" drive anyway

mowgli
28-11-15, 09:42 PM
I've always worked on the theory that you buy a decent cheap set , then when one wears out or breaks, replace it with a premium brand.

EwanG
28-11-15, 10:42 PM
Draper expert breaker bar any good?

Jack
28-11-15, 10:59 PM
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpl1/v/t1.0-0/p480x480/10325751_10152451371078885_175389997920981411_n.jp g?oh=5949b77ee32590da34d4ec97b027e20e&oe=56ED5F80

meritlover
28-11-15, 11:01 PM
Meritlover top-tool-tip:

With Christmas just around the corner, trade party hats for the screwdriver sets from the insides of Christmas crackers.

ShawnAzzopardi
29-11-15, 06:48 AM
I'm looking into buying an extendable breaker bar just so I could replace the + one with the 4 socket sizes for changing the spare wheel, as well as buying a decent small floor jack for inside the back. I went to look at one yesterday, and it was a 2.25t professional one, but it was a bit pricey at 120. One for around the 40 - 50 mark should do well, since this will only be used rarely, or in the case I get a new set of rims which is highly unlikely.

novalew
29-11-15, 08:25 AM
Battery impact guns
Any recommendations that wont break the bank

ShawnAzzopardi
29-11-15, 08:32 AM
Battery impact guns
If they have any, Ryobi or Metabo.

Rob H
29-11-15, 10:46 AM
Battery impact guns

Id look for the highest torque within your budget. 400Nm or above will handle all but the most severe of jobs.

Benn
29-11-15, 11:38 AM
With most tools, look after them and you wont have any probs.

I have Halfolds, Draper, Sealey and a few Us Pro.

Only thing i've rn of mine are a few sockets.

When i worked at the bodyshop, all his tools where Snap-on. Broke loads of them, as they arnt looked after and i found most where a bit cheaply made.

ShawnAzzopardi
29-11-15, 02:49 PM
Went to the tool store again today (for 3 consecutive days) and the only thing I got was a small wire brush, as I'm gonna paint the engine bay, intake, and block (with a paint brush and some Hammerite paint) and I saw that they had a 36" monkey wrench. I just gotta ask, for what fucking reason will you need a 36" monkey wrench? They even had a 48" one. I mean, it's the same size as a small child and weighs more than one.

mowgli
29-11-15, 03:23 PM
We have 2 in the workshop. But we have trucks and diggers.. they get used most weeks

ShawnAzzopardi
29-11-15, 03:28 PM
We have 2 in the workshop. But we have trucks and diggers.. they get used most weeks
On a scale of 1 to very, how heavy are they?

Stuart
29-11-15, 06:48 PM
Incredibly

I've got a 24" breaker bar, I've never needed more than that for most car work and they usually get in the way for lots of stuff lol

Benn
29-11-15, 07:02 PM
I saw that they had a 36" monkey wrench. I just gotta ask, for what fucking reason will you need a 36" monkey wrench? They even had a 48" one. I mean, it's the same size as a small child and weighs more than one.

Calibra and Cavs have big nuts that hold the shock in to the leg. Having a big ass bitu of leverage really helps on them. I have a 30" wrench i use for them.

ShawnAzzopardi
29-11-15, 08:27 PM
Calibra and Cavs have big nuts that hold the shock in to the leg. Having a big ass bitu of leverage really helps on them. I have a 30" wrench i use for them.
But this is a monkey wrench (pipe wrench) I didn't think they had automotive uses

totalnova
29-11-15, 08:34 PM
Halfords professional is more then good enough for home spannering and they have a big selection, plus with it being nearly Christmas get some gift vouchers and buy loads in January sales as they are normally half price.

pottersrebel
29-11-15, 08:46 PM
But this is a monkey wrench (pipe wrench) I didn't think they had automotive uses i use a pipe wrench to slacken the water pump on my 1300 stockcar, ud be amazed how many people come to borrow it in the pits on raceday

Benn
29-11-15, 08:58 PM
But this is a monkey wrench (pipe wrench) I didn't think they had automotive uses

Yes that's what i use. In the UK some mains water and or GAS pipes have 30mm + nuts/bolts on them. So would be used for that.
But works get on the 30mm+ shock nuts too. Gives great leverage too.

ShawnAzzopardi
19-12-15, 06:09 PM
I'm looking to buy a ratcheting spanner set, at least 10 - 19mm, but I already have a 10 and a 14, but no one here has sets

mk1nova_rich
19-12-15, 09:49 PM
Can't you buy from Halfords in the UK? Failing that there are always loads of Halfords tools on eBay if you can find a UK seller willing to post to you

ShawnAzzopardi
20-12-15, 07:15 AM
Can't you buy from Halfords in the UK? Failing that there are always loads of Halfords tools on eBay if you can find a UK seller willing to post to you
Generally they have ridiculously high shipping prices, which is what pushes me away.