PDA

View Full Version : xe flywheel bolts

bigstevie
21-11-15, 08:33 PM
I've bought an xe with gearbox yesterday with apparent goosed bottom end. Got it home and stripped gearbox off - only for flywheel and clutch to fall off with it. It's sheared 7 bolts in end of crank (one missing I think - still to check sump). Has anyone came across this before and any idea what might cause it? Only thing I can think of is the bolts have been stretched, reused and snapped under strain. Any help appreciated.

Andy
21-11-15, 08:42 PM
Iv always reused flywheel bolts.my race car has done over 20meetings over two seasons on the same bolts it had prior to me rebuilding it.
cause-something jamming up in the gearbox or diff at very high rpm id say.either that or you have been a monster removing the box lol

bigstevie
21-11-15, 08:53 PM
I'm a gentle giant lol.
Both gearbox and engine turning fine. Never had/seen this before. Other theory was they've never been tightened fully.

Andy
21-11-15, 08:56 PM
Thats possible but would more than likely go through the bellhousing and anything else in the way.The results are catastrophic when a flywheel lets go

Will F
21-11-15, 09:01 PM
If a few of the bolts weren't tightened properly and came loose, it will shear the rest off

bigstevie
21-11-15, 09:03 PM
The boy said it was on over run when it happened. Didn't look fully shilling tbh lol. Can only try drill them out and refit new ones and go from there

hotrod
22-11-15, 11:32 AM
Don't drill them out, weld a nut on the end and just turn them out like a bolt. Much easier, quicker, safer and cleaner way of removing snapped/sheared bolts.