PDA

View Full Version : Whos got a 1.6 8v runing twin 40's?

Adam Moran
22-09-03, 06:41 PM
Whos got a 1.6 8v runing twin 40's?

Ad

Jules
22-09-03, 07:09 PM
I used to have one a couple of years back, so in answer to your question - 'No'.
:lol:

Jim
22-09-03, 07:12 PM
I did, but its currently in bits.

Why do you ask?

Jim

marruss
22-09-03, 07:14 PM
mr oxford i think

Adam Moran
22-09-03, 07:29 PM
Well i had to make a decision on which way im going to go with my engine - turbo or carbs - and i choose carbs after alot of research into the turbo.

Just want to read about other people’s cars with twin 40's and see what they have done.

Also what sort of torque and bhp figures are achievable with a medium wad?

Cheers

Ad

Jim
22-09-03, 07:49 PM
Torque and BHP figures vary so much with carbs, as well as where you get the readings from. My engine was recorded to have around 137bhp at the wheels which works out at around 160bhp at the fly. This reading could be too high (and probably is). A more realistic reading would be around 130bhp at the wheels/150bhp at the flywheel.

I'm getting a load of work done to my engine at the minute and it's looking to cost me around ?1000. If your starting from scratch and your having to buy all the carbs and ancilaries then it's going to cost you a fair bit more. I couldnt tell you how much carbs and other components cost as I bought the 1.6 engine with the carbs already set up as a complete unit, it was dropped into my car, connected up and away I went.

The 1.6 on carbs is a great modification. Dan from the site has run under 15 secs at Santa Pod, so theres plenty of potential in the carbs and the engine. The sound that the carbs make is awesome, I even love the look of the carbs in the engine bay :) One downside to the carbs is the economy, but if you drive sensibly, it's not too bad...but if you drive sensibly, it kinda defies the point of getting the carbs :)

Unfortunatley, I dont think Carbs will ever have the potential to be as quick as a 1.6 turbo. Theres already been someone on the site thats done a 14.3 second 1/4 mile time and is looking at getting high 13's soon. I think realistically with a heavily modified 1.6 on carbs you'll be looking at 14.7 at best.

Good luck with it all. You should be looking at the power of a standard 2.0 16v, whilst maintaining the lightness of the small block engine to get around those bends :)

Jim

Adam Moran
22-09-03, 08:09 PM
Cheers Slim,

Think im going to get new carbs depending on what comes up for sale that is! Veloes will be tuning my car, im just going to build it so hopfully it will be pretty quick. TBH im not botherd about BHP cause novas wernt really designed to go warp factor 5 anyway! i just want to torque to be enough to keep you in your seat :wink:

Ad

tay
22-09-03, 08:13 PM
if you don't find nothing for a few months let me know cos im braking mine......

Dan
22-09-03, 08:16 PM
http://www.novaload.net/features/viewfeature.php?ref=207 , there ya go aj, thats mine, as jim rightly said it has broken the 15's more than once which makes it one of the fastest n/a 1.6 8v nova's to run the pod

Jim
22-09-03, 11:07 PM
as jim rightly said it has broken the 15's more than once which makes it one of the fastest n/a 1.6 8v nova's to run the pod

Show off :P

Jim

peester
22-09-03, 11:20 PM
just wondering how come no one has seemed to give these a try? are they crap? they are dear (?1000) but i supose putting carbs onto a gsi costs about that much too. I think they must be naff.

Jim
23-09-03, 08:54 AM
just wondering how come no one has seemed to give these a try? are they crap? they are dear (?1000) but i supose putting carbs onto a gsi costs about that much too. I think they must be naff.

I don't know much about Regal Throttle bodies. Generally if you know anything about modifying you tend to stay away from places like Regal and Courtney. Not because there bad necessarily, but because there so expensive. I'm assuming they used to be good little Vauxhall tuning places that expanded rapidly and now concentrate on turnover rather than customer care/satisfaction. There are other places over the country who have much better reputations than Regal and Courtney.

Jim

MC
23-09-03, 10:05 AM
Tom Lunn also ran below 15 seconds with a NA 1.6 8v. His car was barely tuned, and it was a big block 1600 with the extra weight.

MC

Will
23-09-03, 10:13 AM
what the potential 1/4 mile time in ur opinion from a N/A 1.6 8v then mark?

14.5.........?

MC
23-09-03, 10:25 AM
I think 14.5 is possible, if you don't overlook anything. That means not only engine, but also chassis and drivetrain.

Lets see what we can do with Jims engine, and then I'll make a more educated guess.

MC

Dan
23-09-03, 08:45 PM
1600cc block fully balanced and lightened, King H/C competition pistons and ARP big end bolts. High compression 12.3:1 8v head with Piper custom rally cam heavy duty cam followers + solid lifters. Two Weber 45 DCOE carburettors (34mm chokes) on Bowyer Dev. inlet manifold. Facet high pressure electric fuel pump and Filter King pressure regulator. Balanced 1300 Nova flywheel with Sachs competition paddle clutch and cover. Quaife F15/5 straight cut close ratio Gearbox, 4.5:1 CWP + 40% ZF plate LSD, Armtech Rev limiter with full throttle gear shift.
4:2:1 big bore exhaust system
10w/50 Morris Lubricants Mulitlife Competition Oil
Champion QC59C Spark Plugs
ITG Air Filters

from what i gather Tom lunn had the engine rebuild after he rolled in 2000, that is the spec that he had on his site lol. I knew he had 45's cam and diff etc but didnt think it was quite that full spec but thats what he has listed :oops:

Jim
24-09-03, 08:58 AM
I think 14.5 is possible, if you don't overlook anything. That means not only engine, but also chassis and drivetrain.

Lets see what we can do with Jims engine, and then I'll make a more educated guess.

MC

EEEExxxxxxxccccceeeelllllleeeennnttt :D

Jim

CP
24-09-03, 10:20 AM
:lol:

NovaNeil
24-09-03, 12:34 PM
YIKES!!!!!!!! Thats a meaty engine spec! :D

Should make for a V quick car!!!

wisewood
24-09-03, 12:37 PM
quarter mile in under 15 seconds - snot bad i suppose :lol:

Dan
25-09-03, 09:28 PM
that engine spec above is the one tom lunn ran his 14.98 from what i gather. I shall be running in the rb/nl day if it happens, so now i have done a road trim nuffin touched time i shall do a few more then do the same as everyone else and make some adjustments for an all out best time