PDA

View Full Version : Some advice please

ledpen
08-11-15, 05:18 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/08/4791de9462afc613bb355e795a1bafa2.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/08/1b41afdd2d8a91f13fc497a708d5c50e.jpg

I actually have no idea what I'm doing, this is my 1.2 loom I've removed the ecu and stripped back all the tape, what exactly do I need to do next, I'm planning on putting a redtop or 1.8 into this car

Novasport
08-11-15, 05:40 PM
I am all for people having a go but if you don't know what you are doing I would stop now.
It could all end in tears or flames! Electrical fires are not nice.
Get somebody who knows what they are doing to guide you through it and point you in the right direction. I think you need to decide what Engine you are going with first, get the setup with loom and go from there

ledpen
08-11-15, 05:43 PM
I am all for people having a go but if you don't know what you are doing I would stop now.
It could all end in tears or flames! Electrical fires are not nice.
Get somebody who knows what they are doing to guide you through it and point you in the right direction. I think you need to decide what Engine you are going with first, get the setup with loom and go from there
I'm only joking when I'm saying I have no idea, I'm a electronics technician by trade I'm just a bit overwhelmed by this I just want to make sure I'm cutting out the right things I want to try and tidy the loom up before the engine is picked

meritlover
09-11-15, 10:17 AM
It will look a lot tidier if the wires are wrapped in tape.

joff-turbo-nova
09-11-15, 12:26 PM
Get yourself a Haynes manual (one of the older ones) which will have a decent wiring diagram in or a copy of TIS which has similar diagrams.

Work out what bits of loom does what and you're sorted - its a Nova so its not overly complicated , not like the modern stuff with Canbus and the like!

Joff

Benn
09-11-15, 01:59 PM
Choose the engine first. Get that loom fitted in where you want it.
Then work out where to join the wires to be tidy.

Its only 5-6 wires that are needed to get the engine running.

joff-turbo-nova
09-11-15, 02:04 PM
Oh and GET RID of those scotch locks - they are utter s hite and cause no end of bad connections a year or so down the line - solder with heatshrink (with adhesive liner) is my preferred method.

Joff

Benn
09-11-15, 02:07 PM
Where are you seeing them Joff?

joff-turbo-nova
09-11-15, 02:39 PM
Where are you seeing them Joff?

Ooops my bad , I quickly looked at the pics as saw blue plugs and thought they were scotchlocks - on further study they are the ECU plugs - sorry !!!

HOWEVER if you do find any scotchlocks get rid !!

Joff

Benn
09-11-15, 05:30 PM
I thought the same when i first saw the photos too. Then your reply made me look back.