PDA

View Full Version : Single vs Double anti-roll bars

wwinstanley
06-11-15, 07:21 AM
Which is better? My rally nova originally had single bars on which i changed to double, thinking they would be better (rightly or wrongly?)
Doubles are a pain as they are always in the way so if singles are better id go back to them in a shot.

Benn
06-11-15, 09:28 AM
Think it's all about how it feels while your driving it. If it feels better with two, use two.

slimtater
06-11-15, 04:08 PM
When my Sport was used for sprinting etc. the previous owner seemed to favour double. The pics I have seen suggest it cornered very flat but not sure what it drove like.

BRoadGhost
08-11-15, 10:06 PM
ARBs are just a substitute for spring rate.

wwinstanley
11-11-15, 07:20 AM
So if i understand this correctly, if my suspension is properly set up then single bars are better as it allows the suspension to do its work as designed.
Double bars are much stiffer so is like stiffening up the suspension as such?

therealnovaboy
11-11-15, 11:48 AM
ARBs are just a substitute for spring rate - without effecting suspensions conformance over uneven ground.

ARs - reduce roll
Springs - allow the wheel to maintain wheel contact over uneven ground
dampers - control the spring

ARBs and springs are for two different things.

Stuart
11-11-15, 11:53 AM
ARBs are just a substitute for spring rate - without effecting suspensions conformance over uneven ground.

ARs - reduce roll
Springs - allow the wheel to maintain wheel contact over uneven ground
dampers - control the spring

ARBs and springs are for two different things.

This, in spades.

Now, you "can" use the dampers to control the initial roll due to them being rate of travel controllers which is what the ARB is in reality, but you then compromise the rest of the dampers behaviour.
You 'can' use springs as a sort of ARB, but its not great for worse reasons than the dampers lol

The issue with the Nova ARB is that its just a terrible terrible design and you might aswell just not bother.
The pilbeam option is great but my word its almost as much as a whole car lol Now if someone could get a Clio 1*2 or Pug 205 type setup in place then you'd be onto a winner I reckon.

wwinstanley
11-11-15, 03:04 PM
I have always had trouble finding the pilbeam stuff on the net, does anyone have a link??

therealnovaboy
11-11-15, 04:03 PM
I have always had trouble finding the pilbeam stuff on the net, does anyone have a link??

good luck finding a pilbeam ARB. harry hockley do some pilbeam copys but not a rear ARB