PDA

View Full Version : underseal removal.

torquey
05-11-15, 03:00 PM
What's the best thing to use to remove underseal from inner arches? Wire wheel?

Iain
05-11-15, 03:01 PM
Wire wheel on a grinder, you'll look like you've fallen into a giant spiders web. Wear eye protection.

torquey
05-11-15, 06:30 PM
Ha ha will get one cheers .

wwinstanley
06-11-15, 07:26 AM
I can vouch for that, the knotted type wire wheels are a must, both flat and cupped for reaching different areas.
Let the grinder cool down every so often as these wire wheels put a lot of strain on them, I actually blew one up doing this.
And definately eye protection at a minimum, face protection is better, when the wire wheel starts losing its wires chuck it and get a new one before you get a 3" piece of wire right up your nostril and bleed profusely, not pleasant i can tell you.
And dont push too hard!

Good luck

Iain
06-11-15, 07:32 AM
You're not wrong about losing the wire I used to pull bits out my legs a few days later when they started going infected.

Benn
06-11-15, 09:27 AM
I was about to say a face mask is good. Pulling splines of metal from my cheek wasn't fun.

Will peel the underseal off nice and easy.

TugSR
06-11-15, 10:19 AM
For the initial thicker stuff I've used a blow torch to apply (some) heat for then scraping off. Comes off really easily, but needs to be well ventilated - hideous fumes !

:thumb:

Novasport
06-11-15, 11:02 AM
MBX Blaster is what you need, I have one of them and they are brilliant.
Main thing is they don't fire bits of wire at your face at a million miles an hour!

slimtater
06-11-15, 04:06 PM
MBX Blaster is what you need, I have one of them and they are brilliant.
Main thing is they don't fire bits of wire at your face at a million miles an hour!

Need a car to practice on? ;)

totalnova
06-11-15, 06:25 PM
Not really a cost effective option unless your using it all the time .

Novasport
06-11-15, 07:09 PM
Need a car to practice on? ;)

Told you, you will not see me for a couple of weeks once it is on the spit lol
Mine is powered by air so you would need a compressor to use it.

Andy
07-11-15, 11:06 AM
Not alot beats a hot air gun and a scraper.iv done several full cars now and that is by far the fastest way.knotted wire wheel to get stubborn or awkward bits off prior to welding/paint.

ben doodar
07-11-15, 01:29 PM
Not alot beats a hot air gun and a scraper.iv done several full cars now and that is by far the fastest way.knotted wire wheel to get stubborn or awkward bits off prior to welding/paint.

This.