PDA

View Full Version : Best drive shaft and hub options

ledpen
28-10-15, 01:52 PM
At the minute I have no shafts at all.... I'm putting and xe into my nova, I have my standard nova hubs that's all. What is the cheapest/best shafts and hub option for me to get sorted?

ledpen
28-10-15, 01:56 PM
Also forgot to say...the easiest to get hold of option

Iain
28-10-15, 02:35 PM
22 spline shafts from a Nova GTE, conversion inner CVs, standard outer CVs.

Plug
28-10-15, 05:59 PM
Equal length setup :)

ledpen
28-10-15, 07:10 PM
22 spline shafts from a Nova GTE, conversion inner CVs, standard outer CVs.
So standard outer cv's going into standard hubs? And xe inner cv's going to xe gearbox?
What do you need if you change the hubs to the machined ones you can buy online?

simonm
28-10-15, 08:22 PM
You need shorter xe shafts. And xe inner and outer cvs. Might not be so easy to come across the shafts tho. N

Iain
29-10-15, 09:17 AM
So standard outer cv's going into standard hubs? And xe inner cv's going to xe gearbox?
What do you need if you change the hubs to the machined ones you can buy online?

Kinda. The outer CVs will be standard Nova ones that fit Nova hubs. The inners are from a mk2 Cav 1.6 that fit the Nova shaft but also an F20/big block gearbox.

If you get machined hubs, you'll want 'big block' shafts from the likes of LMF, which is a custom machined shaft and standard 'big block' inner and outer CVs. However there's risk with bad machining and wheel failure with those machined ones.

So to fit your original easiest/cheapest bill, I think it's going to be 22 spliners

ledpen
29-10-15, 11:10 AM
Kinda. The outer CVs will be standard Nova ones that fit Nova hubs. The inners are from a mk2 Cav 1.6 that fit the Nova shaft but also an F20/big block gearbox.

If you get machined hubs, you'll want 'big block' shafts from the likes of LMF, which is a custom machined shaft and standard 'big block' inner and outer CVs. However there's risk with bad machining and wheel failure with those machined ones.

So to fit your original easiest/cheapest bill, I think it's going to be 22 spliners
Thanks for the help

Iain
29-10-15, 11:16 AM
No problem, feel free to PM if you need any more info.

Benn
30-10-15, 01:15 PM
You need shorter xe shafts. And xe inner and outer cvs. Might not be so easy to come across the shafts tho. N

You really dont. Cut and welded are never good, shorten can be bad at times too.

Jonlem
30-10-15, 01:20 PM
Personally I am not a fan of machined down flanges, I have run them before but had less issues using cav inners and 22 spline shafts, its just that those are no good for hard use.

Audi bearings, normal flanges is the way forward but isn't a cheap option

Benn
30-10-15, 05:25 PM
If hub flanges are machined correctly they will last for ever. If they havent the bearing will cut thru them in weeks.

Mine have been on over 6 years. Never had an issuse, and its still using the same bearings.

But i do fancy doing down the Audi bearing route.

ledpen
30-10-15, 05:48 PM
If hub flanges are machined correctly they will last for ever. If they havent the bearing will cut thru them in weeks.

Mine have been on over 6 years. Never had an issuse, and its still using the same bearings.

But i do fancy doing down the Audi bearing route.
Audi bearing?

Iain
30-10-15, 06:06 PM
See articles section I created a thread about it

simonm
01-11-15, 08:50 AM
There's a guy on face book selling big block shafts and hubs

BRoadGhost
08-11-15, 10:04 PM
Go big or go home