PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information

Ste Johnson
27-10-15, 08:16 AM
Hi all just seeking a it of information on a gearbox I have a friend who has got a f23 getrag gearbox just wanted to find out how to identify that is is an original getrag and possibly how much are they worth thanks in advance Steven

Will F
27-10-15, 08:37 AM
It will have Getrag stamped on the gearbox. Plus there isn't such a thing as a non-getrag F23 as far as I know!

Ste Johnson
27-10-15, 08:44 AM
Thanks for that will and it's not something special then like maybe a quafie box then and is it a good gearbox to go on a xe that will be going in a nova

Will F
27-10-15, 10:38 AM
They are OK boxes - in that they will have less miles on than an F20 or F16 etc... but they do suffer with diff bearings/failure apparently.
They're also cable shift - which is nice
They are also a ball ache to fit as you'll need to fabricate a mount onto the nova's chassis

Stuart
27-10-15, 10:36 PM
The only real fails I've seen on the f23 is the selector forks overheat... Nothing a cooler wouldn't fix.
they frequently take a pounding in the USA on large power drag builds etc.

bear in mind the cvs/shafts will be a pain as they tend to remain in the box no matter what, so you have to split from the joint. And the lengths will be different, oh and they tend to be hydraulic clutch, ah and no speedo output..... That said, they are a lovely box, get a 4.17 fd version from an Alfa Romeo :)

Will F
28-10-15, 12:42 PM
I thought they had a weak diff too? (there are loads I've seen as spares or repairs over the years)

Stuart
28-10-15, 02:28 PM
Not massively weak... given what the VX220 lot do to them, I'm very impressed lol
As said, most faults tend to be heat related where the plastic tips of the selector forks melt and ruin the shift/lock up