PDA

View Full Version : Seat fitment - what are my options

steve1434
13-10-15, 10:31 AM
Hi all

My shell has had some bars welded in for what looks like side mounts, but this is unknown territory for me. From the pic you can see what I got. I have been looking for side mounts but I can't find any long enough, but then I realised that the bars are not the same height......any ideas/options?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/PE4/Seat%20mounts.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/PE4/media/Seat%20mounts.jpg.html)

steve1434
13-10-15, 10:33 AM
I also have three anchor bolts, one you can see in the photo with the same on the otherside, and one in the middle behind the handbrake.

Iain
13-10-15, 11:32 AM
Eye bolts are for harnesses.

If your bars aren't the same height, and you're looking to use side mounts, you'll have to bodge up the lower one to sit higher (i.e. washers) or cut them out and reweld.

steve1434
13-10-15, 02:14 PM
Hi Iain. The longest side mounts I can find are 485mm so I could be out of luck, unless I get some more metal work welded in I guess....

I can't use standard seat rails as the mounting points appear to have gone/been welded over. It is possible that the previous owner of the shell had something specific in mind but I have no idea :(

Iain
13-10-15, 03:36 PM
Yes you'll be needing to fabricate something either way if the original runners or front channel aren't there.

It does look like he's had a custom plan in mind, as the rails in that fashion aren't what you'd normally put in for side mounts. You'd want some quite close together at the same height, as you're aware. I think you're best off chopping out that rearward bar and making your own, unless the car's being restored to standard, in which case you'll be needing some scrap car's bracketry...

steve1434
13-10-15, 08:46 PM
Its going to be a track car so will get a bit of cutting and welding done :) the list grows lol

Benn
13-10-15, 09:39 PM
I'd cut them off and weld them back in. Buy some side mounts, bolt it all together then you know where you need the bar welded back in.

steve1434
14-10-15, 12:00 AM
Yeah that is pretty much what I am thinking, mounts en route :)

RallyMarshal
14-10-15, 08:13 AM
You could also put some front to rear flat plate bars of appropriate thickness - Id suggest something like 3" wide x 6mm plate that attaches to those front and rear crossmembers and that your sidemounts then bolt down to.

Fairly heavyduty solution, but Ive used those when fitting base mounted seats in the past.

Paul..

steve1434
14-10-15, 08:59 AM
Indeed, seen a few pics on google like that and thought it was a good idea and will mean I can bolt it down along the length of the mount, not just the ends. It could also provide options for other mounts also :)