PDA

View Full Version : Speedo clocks and cable

ABoresta
07-10-15, 11:28 AM
Right so let me start from the beginning. My idiot of a friend that was round the other day while I was sorting out my speedo cable, I had the clocks out and heard a

'broooooom brooom brroooooooom woo do do eeeeeeeee broooooom'

Thought what is this childish fool doing and he's sat in my bucket seat with the clocks playing with the tacho and speedo while making car noises...

He was bouncing the speedo needle with a very amused face until I asked him to pass me something...

Now iv gone back to fit the clocks iv found the speedo is stuck on 60mph..... rather than sitting at 0 :mad:

When you try and move it the needle back to 0 it just springs itself back 60

Will this sort itself out when the speedo is attached again or am on the hunt for a speedo gauge? :tard:

Also this is the 3rd speedo cable I have snapped this year, I read you are meant to oil them is that true? The route is fine etc so cant understand why they are snapping.

Sorry for the long story haha hope someone can help.

Cheers

ABoresta
07-10-15, 12:09 PM
Also is there any bulbs to replace the ones in the clocks for brighter ones? its so dark at night

marc69
07-10-15, 12:57 PM
The needle needs to be removed (be careful as they snap easily), there is a wee mark near the centre which is where it points to when being fitted, usually just the wrong side of the zero stopper bit. Also be careful lifting it back over the stopper.

Yes the speedo cable needs to be lubricated. If the inner cable comes out, cover with clean grease and put back in. If it doesn't come out, get as much oil in it as possible.

No idea about bulbs, maybe just renew them all?

Andy
07-10-15, 01:03 PM
Afpmsl at your mate lol lol lol

ABoresta
07-10-15, 03:00 PM
The needle needs to be removed (be careful as they snap easily), there is a wee mark near the centre which is where it points to when being fitted, usually just the wrong side of the zero stopper bit. Also be careful lifting it back over the stopper.

Yes the speedo cable needs to be lubricated. If the inner cable comes out, cover with clean grease and put back in. If it doesn't come out, get as much oil in it as possible.

No idea about bulbs, maybe just renew them all?

Ok thanks mate, and do you simply just lift the needle away from the dial?

marc69
07-10-15, 04:26 PM
yes, use a screwdriver very very gently at the centre

Novasport
07-10-15, 05:22 PM
Make sure you have the correct speedo cable, the one for the six dial clocks are slightly longer.

ABoresta
07-10-15, 07:24 PM
Make sure you have the correct speedo cable, the one for the six dial clocks are slightly longer.

Oh really?! I didn't know that! They aren't listed as different ones on eBay I don't think :(

HarryNotts
07-10-15, 10:01 PM
Thanks for that Novasport. I'm fitting the six dial clocks to my Merit at the weekend,so I'll swap the cable too. Top man.

Edd
08-10-15, 09:28 AM
Didn't know that the 6 dial clocks had longer cable

Saying that I've never had a problem over the years with different cables

Iain
08-10-15, 10:39 AM
Afpmsl at your mate lol lol lol

Bwarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp *twang* oh shit.

marc69
08-10-15, 05:06 PM
Oh really?! I didn't know that! They aren't listed as different ones on eBay I don't think :(

The ordinary one will fit but is routed differently behind the panel and it is a tight fit. You might need to remove the central panel (if it's a Mk1) to access the cable with the six dial set up.