PDA

View Full Version : setting timing with a strobe gun

Edd
02-10-15, 09:46 PM
i want to double check which is the correct way to set the ignition timing with a strobe gun

when setting the timing with a gun on a 1300 engine,

whilst turning the dizzy should i,

line up the pointed on the block with the notch on the right side of the pulley ?
as in the mark used to set cam belt timing

or the notch on the left side of the pulley ?
which is 10ish degrees retarded

as Ive always understood its the one on the left, but as i am now struggling for ideas to get the Spanish heap running want to double check

Edd

Royston
02-10-15, 10:22 PM
iirc, remove the vacuum pipe, set the distributor to the pointer and the notch on the pulley, should be fine, are you running super unleaded?

what cam are you running?

Jonesfach
02-10-15, 10:22 PM
Cam timing or ignition timing are 2 different things!

i know it's late and I might be reading your post wrong:), and I also am a bit thick!lol

i am a little confused......easy I know

i guess you set the cam timing when the engine was built up??

Ignition timing is set up via the distributor. What exhaust manifold are you running?

a Motorsport guy who built my engine always told me the bigger/better the exhaust gases exit the engine. Ie4/1 big bore,
the more advanced the timing needs to be.

Jonesfach
02-10-15, 10:28 PM
Thinking about it I think you need to start by checking the cam timing and making sure that is right first.

if it is out by a tooth this may be wher the problem lies.

has it ever run right since its been built?

Edd
02-10-15, 10:29 PM
Standard cam

Which notch tho ?

Right one, which is large?
Or small notch on left side of pulley?

Which is slightly back from the right

Normal unleaded

Royston
02-10-15, 10:40 PM
Cam timing is different from distributor timing

distributor timing is the pointer on the block and the notch in the alternator belt pulley

worth checking cam timing first, mine was out................

Jonesfach
02-10-15, 11:03 PM
Standard cam

Which notch tho ?

Right one, which is large?
Or small notch on left side of pulley?

Which is slightly back from the right

Normal unleaded

remove the cam cover on left of engine looking in from the front. 5 bolts
get spanner or socket on the crank pulley 17 mm could be 19?, until the pointer lines up with the mark on the pulley.
then check where the cam pulley is in relation to its mark ? It should be pretty obvious! Do you have an adjustable pulley or just standard?

i will do some pics Tom for you if you need.

Edd
03-10-15, 05:25 AM
Cam timing is different from distributor timing

distributor timing is the pointer on the block and the notch in the alternator belt pulley

worth checking cam timing first, mine was out................

Which notch tho? Left or right side of the pulley?

Edd
03-10-15, 05:45 AM
remove the cam cover on left of engine looking in from the front. 5 bolts
get spanner or socket on the crank pulley 17 mm could be 19?, until the pointer lines up with the mark on the pulley.
then check where the cam pulley is in relation to its mark ? It should be pretty obvious! Do you have an adjustable pulley or just standard?

i will do some pics Tom for you if you need.

I know how to set the cam belt

That's not what I'm asking :)

Royston
03-10-15, 07:25 AM
Which notch tho? Left or right side of the pulley?

As far as I can remember my pulley(s) has only one notch, but it is on the rear flange nearest the engine/pointer;)

therealnovaboy
03-10-15, 09:23 AM
If you think the timing is pretty much right it will be the notch closest to the pointer when the strobe flashes. The engine will sound better when you get the notch close to the pointer so should be obvious what notch to use.

meritlover
03-10-15, 09:27 AM
If the engine isnt running at all then 5 deg either way isnt going to help you.

Edd
03-10-15, 09:35 AM
^ obviously :roll:

Andy
03-10-15, 09:43 AM
I dont believe timing to be causing your issue.
my money is still firmly on air leak

meritlover
03-10-15, 10:30 AM
^ obviously :roll:

...struggling for ideas to get the Spanish heap running want to double check

Edd

So is it running or isnt it?

Edd
03-10-15, 01:26 PM
I want to know which notch to set the pointer to

If it's running or not is irrelevant

Andy
03-10-15, 02:18 PM
Dunno if theyre the same but on e16se they have a notch at the bottom.i then used an sv timing belt cover which fits spot on
after fitting the cover and alt pulley i turned the engine over two revs and the alt pulley lined up with the spike.
So id guess as per mine its the same.

therealnovaboy
03-10-15, 06:00 PM
I thought there only was one mark on the alternator pulley. The cam timing is set using the mark on the timing belt bottom pulley. The ignition timing should be set using the notch on the alt belt pulley and the pointer on the side of the plastic cam belt cover.

I don't think their is a tdc mark on a nova auxiliary pulley.

but this is pointless if the engine isn't running.

marc69
03-10-15, 07:54 PM
You can't set the ignition timing with a strobe light unless the car is running and having set ignition timing on a number of cars, they have to be running pretty close to correct before you reach the point of using the strobe.

Initial setting can be done by ear if it helps.

meritlover
03-10-15, 10:39 PM
I want to know which notch to set the pointer to

If it's running or not is irrelevant

Oh, ok then.

Jonesfach
04-10-15, 11:03 AM
I thought there only was one mark on the alternator pulley. The cam timing is set using the mark on the timing belt bottom pulley. The ignition timing should be set using the notch on the alt belt pulley and the pointer on the side of the plastic cam belt cover.

I don't think their is a tdc mark on a nova auxiliary pulley.

but this is pointless if the engine isn't running.

this is correct imho for timing of ignition.

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w599/jonesfach/17da3a1eb6c9b038ced63eb9f80f5e97_zpsmei8thkj.jpg

I think ink the pointer is actually on the block. A dab of white paint, inside the tdc mark, helps on the pulley

Edd
08-10-15, 04:32 PM
This is my pulley

Original mark on the inside, other mark on the outside

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr359/EDDRODGERS/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0158.jpg (http://s499.photobucket.com/user/EDDRODGERS/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0158.jpg.html)

Which mark/notch to set timing to?

I'm guessing that the outside mark is for unleaded petrol???

marc69
08-10-15, 05:03 PM
It is set to the inside mark (nearest the engine) and as far as I am aware all ohc engines were designed to work with unleaded. I set mine all on that with unleaded and they run well.

meritlover
08-10-15, 10:03 PM
You sound like you know what you're doing edd

Edd
08-10-15, 10:08 PM
Really? As I'm beginning to think I ain't got a clue tbh

So that other notch is the one I should be timing it up on then?

Probably makes no difference , as I've only got spark on no.1 atm lol

paul james
09-10-15, 12:00 AM
Should only be one mark on the crank pulley, guess the other one is some home made one for some reason. As said these engines were always meant to run on unleaded, it was used as a selling point for the cars.

Jonesfach
09-10-15, 11:38 AM
It is set to the inside mark (nearest the engine) and as far as I am aware all ohc engines were designed to work with unleaded. I set mine all on that with unleaded and they run well.

Yes inside mark. Agreed

Andy
09-10-15, 12:23 PM
What the hell is going on in this thread?!!
Its the easiest engine ever to time up ffs lol
Timing marks for unleaded?? Have a look you might find one for diesel too lol lol lol

Southie
09-10-15, 12:37 PM
What the hell is going on in this thread?!!
Its the easiest engine ever to time up ffs lol
Timing marks for unleaded?? Have a look you might find one for diesel too lol lol lol
Help a fellow member out and get your arse down to Bridgewater and help him then :p

Edd
09-10-15, 12:38 PM
lol

I'm just guessing what's a matter with it now tbh, everything is as it should be and I have no idea what the problem is

Andy
09-10-15, 12:48 PM
Help a fellow member out and get your arse down to Bridgewater and help him then :p

if he was closer I would glady go and help.I would pay good money for his car,would make an awesome class 2 lol
Nah he knows id go round if I could.

garyc
09-10-15, 12:48 PM
I suspect the other mark is a TDC mark put on after it had left the factory. The factory one is 10 degrees.

Edd
09-10-15, 06:48 PM
if he was closer I would glady go and help.I would pay good money for his car,would make an awesome class 2 lol
Nah he knows id go round if I could.

MOT the grasser and get on a road trip

Andy
09-10-15, 07:03 PM
Pmsl lol #daytimeuseonly lol