PDA

View Full Version : I have a cursed Nova.

ShawnAzzopardi
02-10-15, 07:00 PM
And I mean, absolutely cursed. It managed to not stop today (knock on wood) even though I drove it through 1 and a half foot waters with an exposed turbo and managed to not hydrolock it (an absolute effin miracle)

I managed to win a drag race against my friend in his Isuzu Gemini (same 1.7L turbo, except he's running it with a T3 Garret out of a Cosworth pushing out ~20+ PSI, and is running so rich, it makes a Volkswagen shy, and I still managed to beat him in my standard turbo 1.7 running no richer than a homeless guy.

And then I hear a knock from the back, and found out that the rear left spring broke its welds and is now knocking about.

Anyone wanna come do an exorcism?

Andy
02-10-15, 07:17 PM
A spring broke its welds you say?
Aye you do need exorcising lol

totalnova
02-10-15, 07:22 PM
Sounds like a good excuse for some all round GAZ coilivers to me .

ShawnAzzopardi
02-10-15, 07:23 PM
Sounds like a good excuse for some all round GAZ coilivers to me .

If you've got a set you'd like to part with for free, please do. All I have is 20 Euro's. That's all I have after I've set my affairs come pay time.

ShawnAzzopardi
02-10-15, 07:24 PM
A spring broke its welds you say?
Aye you do need exorcising lol

Yeah. Right at the axle, there seems to be a piece of pipe, and the spring is welded to that.

I don't know what the person it belonged to had in mind, honestly.

Andy
02-10-15, 07:40 PM
If theyve welded it then a mind is quite obviously vacant lol

mowgli
02-10-15, 07:49 PM
Is it one of batters old cars? Lol

ShawnAzzopardi
02-10-15, 07:51 PM
If theyve welded it then a mind is quite obviously vacant lol
More than likely. I just don't know how the springs will hold any other way, as I haven't seen how they are from factory.

mowgli
02-10-15, 09:37 PM
Normal springs are simply held in by gravity & the resistance of the beam bushes... really short springs do fall out when you hack them up, unless you fit holding cables/straps.
Trying to weld hardened springs to mild steel brackets simply won't last, as the joint just won't hold, and it risks the spring failing

ShawnAzzopardi
03-10-15, 05:01 AM
Normal springs are simply held in by gravity & the resistance of the beam bushes... really short springs do fall out when you hack them up, unless you fit holding cables/straps.
Trying to weld hardened springs to mild steel brackets simply won't last, as the joint just won't hold, and it risks the spring failing
The thing is, I believe my springs are the standard springs. They're not hacked or anything. I'll see what can be done when I take it to someone.

meritlover
03-10-15, 09:26 AM
'Normal springs' are held in by the damper having less travel than what is needed to remove the spring. Its got bothing to do with friction

ShawnAzzopardi
03-10-15, 12:21 PM
'Normal springs' are held in by the damper having less travel than what is needed to remove the spring. Its got bothing to do with friction
I shall look into that. Later today I'll snap a picture and show you guys what I'm working with

ShawnAzzopardi
05-10-15, 12:35 PM
The stories of the cursed Nova continue.

Air in my diesel again..

mowgli
05-10-15, 06:52 PM
Seriously, are you 100% certain there isn't some sort of blockage or restriction at the fuel tank end?

ShawnAzzopardi
05-10-15, 08:04 PM
Seriously, are you 100% certain there isn't some sort of blockage or restriction at the fuel tank end?
I told the mechanic to check everything and to change everything out.

Andy
05-10-15, 08:15 PM
Id be getting a new mechanic for a start.

ShawnAzzopardi
05-10-15, 08:21 PM
Id be getting a new mechanic for a start.
Don't know of many, honestly. This is the second time I've taken it to him, but since the last fix, I have done close to 200 miles on it with no problems. Now it just started again.

ShawnAzzopardi
09-10-15, 05:11 PM
And the cursed Nova strikes again. Got the car back from the mechanic yesterday, aaaand it stopped twice today.

Andy
09-10-15, 05:37 PM
Il re iterate what iv already said

ShawnAzzopardi
09-10-15, 05:49 PM
Il re iterate what iv already said
I called him and he told me to fill up the tank to the brim and see how that goes.

Question. Did a 1.2 Nova have fuel injection or carbs? Did it also have a pump in the tank or in the engine bay? Because I still have the standard petrol tank, instead of a proper diesel one.

paul james
09-10-15, 06:08 PM
While generally if its a mk2 then its injection there are some excptions and it depends what year it is, 92 and maybe some 91 will be injection. If its injection then there will be an electric pump in the tank, if you lift the back seat up you can access the connector for it.

ShawnAzzopardi
09-10-15, 06:23 PM
While generally if its a mk2 then its injection there are some excptions and it depends what year it is, 92 and maybe some 91 will be injection. If its injection then there will be an electric pump in the tank, if you lift the back seat up you can access the connector for it.
Mine is a 91, but since it's a diesel, the pump is on the engine itself, so then my problem is coming from the tank, because all the lines have been changed yet I'm still getting air in my system.

Kinda wish I had more than two feet, because balancing brake, clutch and throttle to try and keep it from not stalling and not hit anyone is a bit difficult. I had to use the handbrake constantly.

torquey
09-10-15, 06:52 PM
Mk1 nova 1.2 are carb mk2 are 1.2 spi

ShawnAzzopardi
09-10-15, 07:14 PM
Mk1 nova 1.2 are carb mk2 are 1.2 spi
And that would be a pump in the tank, correct?

meritlover
09-10-15, 07:29 PM
spi pumps are in-tank

ShawnAzzopardi
09-10-15, 07:32 PM
spi pumps are in-tank
So that's where my problem is then. I don't know how they fitted the tank so the pump will be blocked off, unless they left the pump in the tank and just not wired it.

meritlover
09-10-15, 07:37 PM
its more likely theyve tried to pull through the pump and use the return as the return. could have waxed up of the strainer could be struggling with the thicker diesel. if there is a pump in there, just pull it off and add a longer dip-tube.
you will be able to tell by the outside of the sender what's fitted.

ShawnAzzopardi
09-10-15, 07:40 PM
its more likely theyve tried to pull through the pump and use the return as the return. could have waxed up of the strainer could be struggling with the thicker diesel. if there is a pump in there, just pull it off and add a longer dip-tube.
you will be able to tell by the outside of the sender what's fitted.
It only recently started giving me issues, I've been driving the car since late January, and ever since I asked my mechanic to change my return pipe, it has been giving me issues. I think that's the culprit.

meritlover
09-10-15, 08:02 PM
Return pipe shouldnt give any problems as any air should diffuse in the tank before its lifted again. But perhaps he changed the wrong one..

ShawnAzzopardi
09-10-15, 08:27 PM
Return pipe shouldnt give any problems as any air should diffuse in the tank before its lifted again. But perhaps he changed the wrong one..
It's possible. I mean, ever since then the car has been pulling air from the tank. I filled it to the brim until it could take no more, so let's see how this goes.

mowgli
09-10-15, 08:59 PM
Look for where the pipes come out of the tank. A carb tank would be fine for a diesel. And If you have an spi one, pull the pump and replace it with some pipe.

Benn
10-10-15, 11:19 AM
Don't take me to be rude, but i think you need to crack on and lean the car, so you can sort/fix it rather than giving it to someone else, who i'm not sure if they know what they are doing...

Andy
10-10-15, 01:34 PM
Don't take me to be rude, but i think you need to crack on and lean the car, so you can sort/fit it rather than giving it to someone else, who i'm not sure if they know what they are doing...
100% this

ShawnAzzopardi
10-10-15, 05:28 PM
Don't take me to be rude, but i think you need to crack on and lean the car, so you can sort/fix it rather than giving it to someone else, who i'm not sure if they know what they are doing...
If I could, I would have done. Sadly, I have no place to work and no tools to work with. I neither have a garage, nor a driveway. All I have is a street full of mud and jagged rocks.

Benn
10-10-15, 05:30 PM
Car park?

I rebuild the whole front of my car once in a mutistory car park. As it was raining and i didnt have a garage.
Tools.... You buy and youll use them alot. Start with a basic set and keep buying...

ShawnAzzopardi
10-10-15, 05:46 PM
Car park?

I rebuild the whole front of my car once in a mutistory car park. As it was raining and i didnt have a garage.
Tools.... You buy and youll use them alot. Start with a basic set and keep buying...

Eh, multistory car parks you don't find a lot here, and there aren't any near me really. Even so, my car wouldn't make it that far, and they charge at every single one of them.

I do intend on buying tools at some point, I just don't have the funds for so. After I set aside all I need from my pay, I'm left with like, 10 - 15 Euro.

Edit: The one multi story I know of that has a lot of space is about a 45 minute drive away (with medium traffic) and they charge about 8 euro's per hour you stay there. I learned this when I went to watch a movie with my friends, and the ticket ended up coming to close to 30 euro's.

Benn
11-10-15, 05:20 PM
Thats fair, having spare money isnt easy. But what you save not paying your mech, you can spend on tools.

And yea having to pay to park sucks. The one i used, you just got a ticket when you parked. Now you cant get in till you taken a ticket.

ShawnAzzopardi
11-10-15, 07:56 PM
Thats fair, having spare money isnt easy. But what you save not paying your mech, you can spend on tools.

And yea having to pay to park sucks. The one i used, you just got a ticket when you parked. Now you cant get in till you taken a ticket.
Plus I still have school to attend, as well as go to work right after, so once I'm done school and finally get a proper job, then I can start buying tools. I have 2 years left. A long time, but seeing how far I've come, not long at all.

ShawnAzzopardi
18-10-15, 05:17 PM
I got my car back today. Apparently, my Nova doesn't have the fuel injection tank, it has a tank out of a diesel. So, that's not the problem. He bypassed the diesel filter and instead installed a petrol separator filter and we'll see how that goes. I'm absolutely baffled as to why I'm getting air out of the tank. Mechanic thinks it might be a vacuum problem.

Benn
18-10-15, 06:35 PM
Plus I still have school to attend, as well as go to work right after, so once I'm done school and finally get a proper job, then I can start buying tools. I have 2 years left. A long time, but seeing how far I've come, not long at all.

Ah ok, totally understandable then.

I got my car back today. Apparently, my Nova doesn't have the fuel injection tank, it has a tank out of a diesel. So, that's not the problem. He bypassed the diesel filter and instead installed a petrol separator filter and we'll see how that goes. I'm absolutely baffled as to why I'm getting air out of the tank. Mechanic thinks it might be a vacuum problem.

Wait thought your car was a diesel?

ShawnAzzopardi
18-10-15, 07:41 PM
Ah ok, totally understandable then.

Wait thought your car was a diesel?
It is. I thought that maybe it still had the original fuel injection tank when it had a 1.2, and maybe it was blocked off but when I fixed the breather pipe it may have come undone and started sucking in air through there, but when the mechanic took off the rear seat, there was the cutout in the floor of the car for the fuel pump, but no cutout in the tank.

meritlover
18-10-15, 07:50 PM
A petrol filter is faaaar too fine for diesel. The lift pump will never be able to draw through it. This is likely the problem.

ShawnAzzopardi
18-10-15, 07:52 PM
A petrol filter is faaaar too fine for diesel. The lift pump will never be able to draw through it. This is likely the problem.
So far I've driven okay with it, just today. It always had a diesel filter. This is just an experiment to see. I could always undo it and do it back with the diesel filter. We're just trying out different things to try and locate the problem.

ShawnAzzopardi
18-10-15, 08:05 PM
Alright, so here is what has been done to try and solve the problem. But first, where I think the problem arose.

So, my car leaked diesel (after the tank being filled after a certain point) from the breather pipe. Got that fixed, and then the bigger pipe gave in (the one that connects the filler to the tank) and got that fixed. From that point, it started pulling air. Changed the lines and the filter all to no fix. No clue what to do.

Dar
18-10-15, 08:26 PM
My suggestion would be to get a priest in an exorcise the demon. Or maybe burn it. Or take it to another mechanic to see if he/she can fix it.

totalnova
18-10-15, 08:33 PM
If you started having problems when you fitted the new filler pipe then that's probably where your problem is.

ShawnAzzopardi
19-10-15, 05:04 AM
My suggestion would be to get a priest in an exorcise the demon. Or maybe burn it. Or take it to another mechanic to see if he/she can fix it.
I'm probably gonna end up driving it into the church and have them take care of it.

ShawnAzzopardi
19-10-15, 05:04 AM
If you started having problems when you fitted the new filler pipe then that's probably where your problem is.
Checked that bit too and still nothing. Absolutely baffled.

Benn
20-10-15, 01:32 PM
So your main filler pipe is ok?
The breather that goes back to the filler ok?
The small breather that runs along the tank ok?
Where the pump fits sealing ok?
The fuel filter doesn't seem right at all.
Fuel return from the rail on the engine ok?

ShawnAzzopardi
20-10-15, 06:56 PM
So your main filler pipe is ok?
The breather that goes back to the filler ok?
The small breather that runs along the tank ok?
Where the pump fits sealing ok?
The fuel filter doesn't seem right at all.
Fuel return from the rail on the engine ok?
As far as I know, they're all fine. But next time I see the mechanic (as my car is currently in test mode) I'll tell him to check everything.