PDA

View Full Version : V6 brake upgrade

ABoresta
23-09-15, 11:16 AM
Hi all I have a V6 brake upgrade on my saloon, after my track session I still wasn't happy so im thinking upgrade discs, pads and brake fluid...

Any suggestions on the above for fast road and track use.

Currently im thinking

EBC Fiat coupe discs (so they don't have to be re-drilled)

EBC greenstuff pads

AP551 Racing brake fluid

What do you all think?

Will F
23-09-15, 11:42 AM
get Mintex 1144 pads (or similar variant)

Jack
23-09-15, 12:16 PM
I had fiat discs (dimpled and grooved) on mine with M1144 pads, great for road use but after one 15 min session at Combe with Lee they were starting to fade

Benn
23-09-15, 01:22 PM
What was wrong with them?

Fading? Boiling over? Smoking/catching fire? Crap pedal?

EBC stuff is very low end, for track i'd want better. Love my Mintex M1144s.

ABoresta
23-09-15, 03:01 PM
What was wrong with them?

Fading? Boiling over? Smoking/catching fire? Crap pedal?

EBC stuff is very low end, for track i'd want better. Love my Mintex M1144s.

Started to fade and pedal felt rubbish, fitting a new MC at the same time as well.
I believe my love for braided hose has backfired as this would explain some of the fade...

What fiat coupe discs did you run Jack like what brand?

Balley
23-09-15, 03:30 PM
Fiat Disc do not fit straight on, I would use 280mm Meriva 4 stud discs personally. Perfect fit and do not require spigot rings.

Balley
23-09-15, 03:33 PM
The best upgrade would be a GSi/GTE/SRi/Diesel servo. They make so much difference.

Benn
23-09-15, 03:38 PM
Braided hoses wouldn't give fade or bad pedal.
The pedal is just the travel you have to push to move the huge amount of fluid thats needed to move the pistons.
Under the dash there is a threaded bar you can ajust the pedal via. You can wind the bar in a bit to remove some of the travel, but be very very careful as if you do it tomuch the brakes can stay on. So only go half a turn or so (think that is what i did)

Fade wise, that's crap pad and disc to start with. What dot fluid are you using? You want a min of Dot4.
Do you have good venting to the calipers to help cool them? Or move open tyre wheels to let air in.

I'd look a good fast road/track pads.

ABoresta
23-09-15, 03:50 PM
The best upgrade would be a GSi/GTE/SRi/Diesel servo. They make so much difference.

I wanted to but I cant find any for sale :(

ABoresta
23-09-15, 03:53 PM
Braided hoses wouldn't give fade or bad pedal.
The pedal is just the travel you have to push to move the huge amount of fluid thats needed to move the pistons.
Under the dash there is a threaded bar you can ajust the pedal via. You can wind the bar in a bit to remove some of the travel, but be very very careful as if you do it tomuch the brakes can stay on. So only go half a turn or so (think that is what i did)

Fade wise, that's crap pad and disc to start with. What dot fluid are you using? You want a min of Dot4.
Do you have good venting to the calipers to help cool them? Or move open tyre wheels to let air in.

I'd look a good fast road/track pads.

Oh really I was lead to believe that there is still an amount of flex with braided hoses that would cause some fade :S

Im defo going to get good pads and would like to do the discs at the same time, I believe it is dot 4 fluid I have but just cheapo stuff I have as a spare so wanted to replace for good stuff.

I will look into adjusting that bar behind the dash thanks for that and im not running any ducting to cool the brakes atm as it was my first track session but its on the lsit.

Cheers for help guys

ABoresta
23-09-15, 03:55 PM
Fiat Disc do not fit straight on, I would use 280mm Meriva 4 stud discs personally. Perfect fit and do not require spigot rings.

Is it just the spigot ring that's needed as I already have a couple sets (thanks to work) which I got for the 288mm discs I have

Balley
23-09-15, 08:42 PM
Yes and you need to redrill the fiat discs. They are 98mm centres.

ABoresta
24-09-15, 08:11 AM
Yes and you need to redrill the fiat discs. They are 98mm centres.

Oh I didn't know you had to re-drill them, meriva discs it is then :) thanks mate

Jack
24-09-15, 12:20 PM
It was a long time ago that I got my discs, but I think they were from a company called CRN or something. Dimpled (didn't want drilled), grooved and zinc coated edges.

I suspect the track fade on mine was because we had the cav slabs on at the time, so not a lot of air getting to the discs. Never had any issues with the cesaros.

And yeah the Fiat discs need the holes drilling out by 1mm but thats easy, we did mine with a hand drill lol They were straight and tight so didn't need spigot rings either. I didn't want meriva discs as I thought 4mm pad oversize was bad enough let alone 8mm

Benn
24-09-15, 02:01 PM
Pad over hang isn't good or safe.

I'd just used 5stud discs re-drilled. It's not hard to do.

Andy
24-09-15, 02:13 PM
I used the fiat discs also.Drilled out with a cordless drill.I had to make a spigot ring though

ABoresta
24-09-15, 02:14 PM
Ah I didnt think of pad overhang! yeah im sure re-drilling is easy I just wasnt keen on having re-drilled discs.

What brand of discs would you say Benn if i stick with V6 ones?

chris gsi
24-09-15, 10:18 PM
On my old track car I changed from v6 brakes to the 256x24 set up from a cavalier as I did no like the travel in the pedal and used grooved brembo discs and mintex 1155 pads and dot 5.1 fluid and never had a problem with them even after 2 sessions around Combe with just a quick passenger change between them

Andy
25-09-15, 12:45 AM
Hobo cheapass discs and good pads.

ABoresta
25-09-15, 09:59 AM
Ah i just sold my 256 brakes haha

Im gonna stick with the V6 brakes i will get them working! im determined haha

turbojolt
25-09-15, 11:57 AM
I put mintex 1144 pads on the beemer proper good bite now compared to the run of the mill stuff that was on it before

Benn
25-09-15, 01:18 PM
Ah I didnt think of pad overhang! yeah im sure re-drilling is easy I just wasnt keen on having re-drilled discs.

What brand of discs would you say Benn if i stick with V6 ones?

Alot of metal there still even with 3 different holes drilled...

Even standard discs should be ok, with good pads.