PDA

View Full Version : Radio reception puzzler

clemo
22-09-15, 12:27 PM
It's not a great problem as I listen to my iPod mainly anyway but I've never had a great signal from my radio aerial no matter where I mount it, I never really thought anything of it just though with not being in the wing where it should be it must be not getting a great signal but I noticed a couple of months ago while sitting in the car waiting for someone that every time I touch the steering wheel the signal goes clear or if I open the drivers door but the steering wheel thing only happens when the engine isn't running.

im guessing it is an earth problem I have checked obvious earths but haven't gone in to any depth trying to find the problem.

is it a common problem/does anyone have any thoughts?

Southie
22-09-15, 12:31 PM
One of these may help if your aerial is in good working order and also your heading is okay.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antenna-inline-Signal-Amplifier-Booster/dp/B009AQEMHM

Have you double checked the earth to the aerial and the mounting on the bodywork?

clemo
22-09-15, 12:50 PM
One of these may help if your aerial is in good working order and also your heading is okay.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antenna-inline-Signal-Amplifier-Booster/dp/B009AQEMHM

Have you double checked the earth to the aerial and the mounting on the bodywork?

I did think about some sort of amplifier as I know Audis and BMW etc have them with not having and external aerial,
i have it mounted on the strengthening bar under the slam panel at the front behind the grill and had a good shiney earth although the lower cross member was noted on the Mot as starting to corrode where the tie bars mount so the earth around that area may not be brilliant, but I have never had a great signal wherever I have had it in the past either

Jonesfach
23-09-15, 10:41 AM
Is there a difference when the engine is on, to when it's not? Ie any inteferance?

clemo
23-09-15, 02:10 PM
ill have to check later but i know when im driving it the reception wont clear whatever i touch/dont touch.

Is there a difference when the engine is on, to when it's not? Ie any inteferance?

millworm
23-09-15, 05:52 PM
Might be alternator interference is no suppressor is fitted

Jonesfach
24-09-15, 12:11 PM
Might be alternator interference is no suppressor is fitted

this was what I was thinking.