PDA

View Full Version : Fuel system

ShawnAzzopardi
15-09-15, 07:24 PM
Alright, so I posted this in the "what pissed you off today?" thread,

"My f**king piece of f**king sh*t Nova keeps f**king shutting off.

So there I was this morning, on my way to my mate's house to pick him up to attend a meeting at school, and when I was almost to his house, my car shut off twice.

On the way to school, it was an absolute f**king nightmare. Every possible worst place to stop, my car stopped. TEN F**KING TIMES. IN LESS THAN 10 F**KING KILOMETERS.

So, then I got to school. I managed to park my car just as it stopped the last time. Attended the meeting and everything. After it was done, my friend's mate came and told me he knows a mechanic near by. The car just drove spiffingly again. Got to his garage and left him the car. He changed all the pipes and the filter and gave the tank a cleaning.

Fine, I paid him the money, went to my house with my friend so I could pay him back, and took him home. The car drove just great. I left his house, and halfway to my house, the car stopped twice. Again.

Parked my car, rang the guy up and he came with his tow truck. I popped the hood, and I noticed air near the Bosch plumb thing where the diesel filter attaches to.

He then asked me if I've changed the fuel tank cap lately and I said yes. He told me that might be the problem due to suction, so I took it off and drove home without it. I managed to get home without it stalling, but just as I got to the end of my street, the car almost shut off and almost shut off again when I parked it.

I don't know what to do. He said maybe the fuel gauge might not be reading correctly, but I know there's diesel in it. How the hell could I possibly use 20 Euro's worth of diesel (about 18L) when I drove it a maximum of 30KM total since I topped it off?

I don't know what to f**king do.

He said it could be a dirty pump, so sometime this week or next, I'll drive it to a place and see.

If anyone has suggestions, just tell me. I've just about f**king had it with today."

What would be cheaper? A new pump or cleaning the old one?

I might also get injector cleaner, just in case.

mowgli
15-09-15, 08:33 PM
It is usually down to a blocked fuel filter or an air leak. It could be a bad connection on the fuel shutoff relay. Do they have a lift pump? It could be shot.
Some injector cleaner could help. Is the fuel tank clean?

ShawnAzzopardi
15-09-15, 08:43 PM
It is usually down to a blocked fuel filter or an air leak. It could be a bad connection on the fuel shutoff relay. Do they have a lift pump? It could be shot.
Some injector cleaner could help. Is the fuel tank clean?

Installed a brand new filter today, don't know about an air leak. Problem arose ever since I fixed the fuel leak. As for bad connections on the fuel shutoff relay or a lift pump, I don't know.

And the guy I went to said he cleaned my tank today.

BRoadGhost
15-09-15, 10:41 PM
Go carbs

ShawnAzzopardi
16-09-15, 06:00 AM
Go carbs
On a diesel turbo?

Iain
16-09-15, 08:49 AM
Carb diesel turbo for the win. I have nothing to add other than watch your language please young man.

Where was your fuel leak, the cap?

ShawnAzzopardi
16-09-15, 09:28 AM
Carb diesel turbo for the win. I have nothing to add other than watch your language please young man.

Where was your fuel leak, the cap?
I don't think I have a budget for that. I'm gonna try and fix the fuel pump and see if that solves it. Although, I did ask the mechanic a few weeks ago to kinda..what's the term.."dial down" the pump so it doesn't burn as much fuel, could that be a factor as to why this is happening?

And the leak was from the fuel return pipe, the thick piece of hose that connects from the filler to the tank (the one that's about 4 inches long) and when I have a full tank and going up a really steep hill, the fuel cap leaked as well.

Stuart
16-09-15, 11:29 AM
Not sure how the system works on the nova, but I had a pug 205 1.9TD thing and it had perished fuel lines between the injectors so when I wasn't on the throttle it was hosing fuel out of them.... 'used' best part of a tank of fuel for a journey that would have only used 1/8th of a tank.

might be worth checking all the bleed off lines to be sure they aren't buggered, as they will also let air in.

Andy
16-09-15, 11:48 AM
As a diesel engine only requires compression and fuel,its pretty simple to fix.One of two things is happening,not enough fuel or theres air in the system.

ShawnAzzopardi
16-09-15, 12:01 PM
Not sure how the system works on the nova, but I had a pug 205 1.9TD thing and it had perished fuel lines between the injectors so when I wasn't on the throttle it was hosing fuel out of them.... 'used' best part of a tank of fuel for a journey that would have only used 1/8th of a tank.

might be worth checking all the bleed off lines to be sure they aren't buggered, as they will also let air in.

They seem to be all fine as the guy has checked them for me. No air in the system, as all lines have no air bubbles going into the filter or out of it

As a diesel engine only requires compression and fuel,its pretty simple to fix.One of two things is happening,not enough fuel or theres air in the system.
I'm gonna take it to the mechanic again soon and see what he says. Might be the diesel pump on its way out

ShawnAzzopardi
16-09-15, 12:11 PM
It's hard to explain. Like, it will start up and idle just fine if left to sit. It will drive okay for a while, then when I'm coming to a stop at whatever stop sign/red light or whatever else, as I'm slowing down it will judder as if I'm not pressing the clutch. But I know it's not a transmission problem.

ShawnAzzopardi
16-09-15, 01:21 PM
I took a video of it. It didn't shut off, but you can see it seems to run fine. When I start to drive it the problems arise. Sorry if the video is out of focus.

Will edit when it finishes uploading, as my ISP is a piece of shite

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWW_vee_-2c

mowgli
16-09-15, 08:08 PM
I assume the fuel filter has been swapped....

Might be worth getting the injectors checked

ShawnAzzopardi
16-09-15, 09:21 PM
I assume the fuel filter has been swapped....

Might be worth getting the injectors checked
Fuel filter is indeed swapped, just yesterday.

And yeah, thinking about heading to the petrol pump tomorrow and getting some injector cleaner.

Balley
17-09-15, 08:40 AM
What is the engine out of, that's not a Vauxhall Isuzu engine? Never seen an inlet like that before.

ShawnAzzopardi
17-09-15, 10:33 AM
What is the engine out of, that's not a Vauxhall Isuzu engine? Never seen an inlet like that before.
Off of a Gemini.

ShawnAzzopardi
21-09-15, 08:18 AM
Update:

Drove it around my street yesterday, popped the hood, and I had air in the pipes. No idea where it's coming from.
Damn it.

Send me chicken stock cubes please, I gotta lay off food to fix this. lol