PDA

View Full Version : Cheap aerocatch what would you do?

ABoresta
10-09-15, 03:50 PM
So my friend gave me some aerocatches as he decided he didnt want to drill or cut his bonnet, i dont want to ask but i have the feeling they may be cheap ones from the bay...

Would you run them or anyone have cheap ones that can let me know if they are any good?

I dont really want them to break while im driving etc...

Cheers

therealnovaboy
10-09-15, 03:52 PM
don't fit them to anything other than a fibreglass bonnet

ABoresta
11-09-15, 07:40 AM
don't fit them to anything other than a fibreglass bonnet

Oh really? but the proper ones from demon tweeks for example are ok with standard bonnet?

Iain
11-09-15, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't have thought the forces on them are that high in order to make them fail. It's a fairly mechanical thing anyway, metal bar through a hole with a spring on.

However I'd probably only run the original branded ones and not the cheaper (D1?) copies.

ABoresta
11-09-15, 09:09 AM
Yeah i think im gonna order some myself and just say they are the ones he gave me as he was all happy about it haha

millworm
11-09-15, 11:43 AM
I got genuine ones on my metal bonet and they've been fine

therealnovaboy
11-09-15, 11:59 AM
I'm sure it will be fine on a steel bonnet but its pointless.

1. wreck a good bonnet that will rust if not done right.
2. you have a good genuine bonnet catch that is proven to work fine.
3. less chance of someone opening your bonnet to steal your engine when your asleep.

ABoresta
11-09-15, 12:26 PM
I already have bonnet pins just wanted to upgrade to aero catches and i know someone that padlocks it shut when they need to haha

Iain
11-09-15, 05:54 PM
Lockable aerocatches to stop engine theft.

2 mechanical bonnet fasteners rather than one.

Openable from the outside.

Doesn't rely on a 20 year old cable.

Look like a btcc car.

Andy
11-09-15, 06:05 PM
What would you do?
Usually drink,usually dance...

mk1nova_rich
11-09-15, 07:59 PM
Usually drink,usually dance...

lollollol

BRoadGhost
11-09-15, 10:54 PM
http://onde-cevenole.o.n.pic.centerblog.net/o/413bb1a5.jpg

It's funny because I've just realised I'm the real life version of this guy with a blue nova rather than a green mini; complete with grey bonnet & padlocks on pins :O

Iain
14-09-15, 04:42 PM
Jesus just browsing eBay for bonnet pins, didn't realise you could get Aerocatch copies for as little as a tenner now. Mental.

ABoresta
15-09-15, 08:58 AM
Jesus just browsing eBay for bonnet pins, didn't realise you could get Aerocatch copies for as little as a tenner now. Mental.

Yeah thats why i wasnt sure if i should risk it if they are them... but real ones on the way

Benn
15-09-15, 08:59 AM
Will there really be that much difference? Copy to non copy wise? Surely it's just a lever and pin?

ABoresta
15-09-15, 09:22 AM
I was just worried about the build quality of the cheap ones and materials used...

Stuart
15-09-15, 11:30 AM
I'm sure I've read some stories about the cheapies failing and putting the bonnet over the screen/running the roof etc....
that or it was simply poor fitting of anything

ABoresta
15-09-15, 01:23 PM
I'm sure I've read some stories about the cheapies failing and putting the bonnet over the screen/running the roof etc....
that or it was simply poor fitting of anything

Thats all i needed to hear, i dont know if the ones he gave me are cheap ones but i dont want to risk it and its a bit rude to ask seeing as he gave them to me for free

Iain
15-09-15, 01:35 PM
Any markings on them?

ABoresta
15-09-15, 02:40 PM
Not that i noticed....

Iain
17-09-15, 04:04 PM
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5816/20936328541_97d40cee1c_c.jpg
Broke my cheap ass china junk bonnet catch at Shelsley Walsh!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/626/20573782994_3fa22edab0_c.jpg
Updates and progress will be a little slow on the Esprit due to building the V8 Scimitar.
Fitted the genuine AeroCatch locking latches today. Really nice quantity compared to the rip off china crap I installed. As you can see from the pic the genuine ones are a little smaller and the locks are smaller also, they have a nice spring action and a backing plate that holds the nuts for the mounting screws so installing is also much easier.

The crap I fitted are called “D1 Sanko” and labeled as if made in japan! Don’t buy them!

Hope this helps your decision!

ABoresta
18-09-15, 11:03 AM
Ah thanks mate defo makes me feel better about hiding them at the back of the unit lol

Andy
18-09-15, 11:31 AM
Aerocatches seem pointless to me.in grassing theyre rightly banned,marshalls dont carry a set of keys to unlock a bonnet if youre on fire.
Whenever id stay over at tracks away id take my bonnet lock pins out and put little padlocks in.
so in answer to the original question id save the money from the genuine ones buy a set of normal bonnet pins and then with the change i would drink,dance and babble.

Iain
18-09-15, 11:42 AM
Andy they aren't locked by default. You can leave them unlocked.

Also get non locking ones.

Theyre flush fit and tidier than pins. And there must be a reason theyre used in Motorsport that doesn't happen in a farmers field.

ABoresta
18-09-15, 11:57 AM
Personal preference of course but i do prefer the look of aero catches to pins which i have currently as i originally preferred them.

You could lock the aero catch the same way you padlock a pin if you get the non locking ones.... if im not wrong

ABoresta
18-09-15, 11:58 AM
p.s. i wouldnt get locking ones because knowing my track record i would lose the key lol

Andy
18-09-15, 02:40 PM
Andy they aren't locked by default. You can leave them unlocked.

Also get non locking ones.

Theyre flush fit and tidier than pins. And there must be a reason theyre used in Motorsport that doesn't happen in a farmers field.
my error.i thought they were lock only.
in that case they wont be banned then.
Or in any other motorsport.
id still do what i said though haha lol

Andy
18-09-15, 02:40 PM
p.s. i wouldnt get locking ones because knowing my track record i would lose the key lol

Same lol id be braying screwdrivers in pmsl

Benn
18-09-15, 02:42 PM
Is your car a track car? If not just dont bother...

Andy
18-09-15, 02:46 PM

Lol lol lol

Benn
18-09-15, 02:48 PM
Well all the talk of if there safe and good and that... Just don't bother fitting them. And i know its not a track car, i meant that more if it was, then might be worth it.

ABoresta
18-09-15, 02:49 PM

In the process of being a track car yes

Andy
18-09-15, 02:51 PM
My original thought on them was that they had to be unlocked to be open.as thats not the case i can see the appeal.however as im a yorkshireman id piss the difference up the porcelain lol

Iain
18-09-15, 02:51 PM
http://www.touringcartimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Priaulx-3.jpeg

Benn
18-09-15, 02:55 PM
In the process of being a track car yes

Then do it right and buy the proper ones.

My original thought on them was that they had to be unlocked to be open.as thats not the case i can see the appeal.however as im a yorkshireman id piss the difference up the porcelain lol

So you can open them still if locked? That's the point in them being lockable then?:tard:

Iain
18-09-15, 03:12 PM
Ben you spaz.

You can lock them. Then you can't open them.

You can unlock them. Then they can be opened. And left unlocked.