PDA

View Full Version : Let down by a Nova once again

brian
21-09-03, 11:31 PM
If I had a quid for every time ive had a Nova on a tow rope over the last 6 six years i'd be a wealthy man.
The wide arch valver pissed me off so much i got rid of it.
Now the green GSi which has been perfect till now fuckin let me down.
In McDonalds drive through earlier with the temp guage at 3/4 steam started pissing out from everywhere.
This "has to" be from a pipe coming loose as it was not crazy hot and the fan worked an hour earlier.
That was grand pulled in to eat before i checked on it. went to start it so i would see where water was coming out (if that was the case) and would not start!
Checked the fuelpump relay and it was working perfect. Checked power to the pump and it was giving the power to prime but the pump never budged.
Pump had packed in at the same time!
WTF absolutely no connection between steam and the pump.
Its out side now and i have no interest what so ever in lookin at it tomorrow, even though i will make myself fix it.
Shit little things with these cars one after another. thankfully i never have to pay a garage to fix them as i do it myself.
:evil:

so1o
22-09-03, 12:02 AM
these things happen mate, dont be so hard on ur car/self
onces it sorted u can enjoy the pleasures of your nova once again

brian
22-09-03, 12:08 AM
lol!
Its not really a pleasure anymore m8. been through a lot of them over the years and enjoyed it but rallying is now to be my only connection with Novas. just need a change. will prob put a GSi together again down the line.

so1o
22-09-03, 12:13 AM
lmap true but must be a tinsy winsy bit of love for novas as your still into em :lol: lol

SKoob
22-09-03, 02:05 AM
seems i'm not the only one then, I just sorted out a problem that kept blowing the fuse for all the gauges and now my cars got a leaking rad :lol: ah well the joys of motoring :D

Ste_Nova
22-09-03, 10:02 AM
In McDonalds drive through earlier with the temp guage at 3/4 steam started p**s out from everywhere.
This "has to" be from a pipe coming loose as it was not crazy hot and the fan worked an hour earlier.

yes it is crazy hot!!!

Aragorn
22-09-03, 10:47 AM
yup - overheated and the pressure release valve on the expansion tank has popped

saw someones turbo do it at trax too

nothing to worry about - just sort the fan cos thats prolly why its overheating - thermal switch is prolly old and worn out and aint activating at the right time

tried giving the pump a whack?

and was it noisey? they normally get really buzzey before packing up

krobinson
22-09-03, 11:31 AM
Nasty mate, thankfully only one of my 5 nova's has ever let me down.. It was a runabout i bought, and i got pissed off with it being high, so i put my -80mm springs in... it then broke the crossmember and shit itself... rotten heap of S**T!! lol..

It lasted 14 days..lol

Keith

Ben
22-09-03, 05:15 PM
Novas are seriously pissing me off at the moment as well.

xX NoVaBoY Xx
22-09-03, 05:16 PM

xX NoVaBoY Xx
22-09-03, 05:16 PM
LoL my radiator blew in mcdonalds drive through other week water evrywhere still ate my food though just left nova :) for ma mate to pik up

brian
22-09-03, 06:47 PM
Aragorn wrote:

nothing to worry about - just sort the fan cos thats prolly why its overheating - thermal switch is prolly old and worn out and aint activating at the right time

tried giving the pump a whack?

and was it noisey? they normally get really buzzey before packing up

Second switch ive fitted in this car already but most likely it did give up on me!
Bet the fuck out out of the pump and no joy. i am well used to these packing up too and this is a little strange. had one die after a heavy landing in the valver and one or two die of old age! after going through the very noisey stage but this was quite as always and just would not run when i went to start the car.
Going to change it now in a few minutes

Where does the header tank release the pressure from? is it to do with the cap?

Keith sounds like a fun time!! :lol:

Aragorn
22-09-03, 09:07 PM
if you look inside the cap youll see some plastic shit - most importantly the hole in the middle and the grooves running thru the threads from the top of the cap

when the engine reaches 1.2-1.3 bar (depending on cap) the valve inside will "pop" and allow water(steam) to escape via the grooves on the threads

it will piss out untill the pressure falls enough to close the valve again

the idea is - water boils at 100c at atmospheric pressure - u build the pressure upto 1 bar u can heat the water to 120-130C before it boils

since the system cant expand as it heats up the pressure just keeps rising (along with the temperature) untill the cap pops

brian
23-09-03, 06:19 PM
interesting Aragorn, never knew that.

Well it turns out there was a hole in the rad, as i said at the start i knew the system wasn't crazy hot, it was squirting out at the exhaust.

Also :twisted: I have found a little bit of burned wiring behind the dash which explains a lot of late. Ben remember the radio?

hotdogs_r_us
23-09-03, 06:25 PM
no cars perfect.

pickle
23-09-03, 06:50 PM
dont give up on the lil nova. i bet u rag it about though eh, then when they break its," how did that happen"? but they fuckin rule.......... long live the nova

brian
23-09-03, 07:13 PM
lol :lol:

CP
24-09-03, 08:46 AM
I think a lot of peeps give up on them for day to day driving cos most have got to the age where quite honestly they need a major overhaul - once built in obsolence starts in summink I find it "ripples" round.

I've got this in a combine - basically all the switch gear and relays are the same age and are all packing up together. There's about 40 different switches and associated relays. The fuse box measures 3' wide , 1 'wide and about 10" deep to hold it all! If it isnt that its the actuators - very frustrating :x