PDA

View Full Version : Fire extinguishers?

Brasso93
04-09-15, 11:37 AM
So after a nearly fatal accident with my car having a fiery problem ive decided I want a couple extinguishers on hand luckily I was at work and we had one at hand but what if next time im not at work!

wheres best place to buy (not necessarily the cheapest) a small c02 extinguisher I don't want powder and not keen on foam either.

Iain
04-09-15, 11:48 AM
All the rally hand held ones seem to be foam? Why not foam?

millworm
04-09-15, 11:59 AM
About £200 will get you an entry level plumb in one

Iain
04-09-15, 12:01 PM
Not even that, £100 will get you a plumbed in system with cables and pipework. But you'd still want a handheld with that, so start with that one.

Novasport
05-09-15, 06:56 AM
You can get a Lifeline 2.25l plumbed in system for £99 off Ebay. I have been considering one myself for the Sport but unsure if I can fit it without making it unsightly.

Novasport
05-09-15, 06:56 AM
Item number 271844046587

House
05-09-15, 07:08 AM
The above eBay kit is the one I have and it looks decent enough (WIP page 26) as for handheld extinguishers, I've just got a little one strapped to the diagonal roll chage brace. Think both are foam.

I'm not sure you'll get a Motorsport CO2 one as gas is not very good at dealing with fuel fires, atleast that's what I read somewhere.

Stuart
05-09-15, 09:13 AM
Sparco fire eaters are ok if you can get in the enclosed space

jeremy fisher
05-09-15, 12:09 PM
I think when I looked into fire extinguishers I ruled out CO2 because if it's a windy day then it will just blow away. I think powder is supposed to form a layer over the fire and fuse to form a seal starving the fire of air... or something like that. So I went for that. Can't remember why I didn't choose foam. Definitely worth doing your research though.

totalnova
05-09-15, 03:01 PM
If you're after a cheap one for the garage I got one from Lidl for about 10-15 pound that I keep close by when I'm welding.

wwmnw
06-09-15, 09:45 PM
The SR I had caught fire and was put out by foam, it gets EVERYWHERE but does the job.

Maka
07-09-15, 10:32 PM
Not trying to say that I would personally do this but extinguishers which are in a place of work have to be replaced on a time based period with no regards as to whether they are used or not. They can be obtained very cheaply "out of date" some firms re-test them and ship them back out but others find it more cost effective to replace with brand new ones hence the other available cheaply [emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻

wwmnw
08-09-15, 06:10 PM
O RRY? One in one of the works vans has been there for some time, other van (which 99% of the time I drive) doesn't even have one and I sometimes go on chemical sites like Brenntag, you get to sit through a 30 minute-ish video of what happens when what alarm goes off at Brenntag and what chemical burns look like on actual body parts, if an alarm goes off, do not run stop and look for the cloud of highly toxic gasses then run the other way after climbing over a tall sharp fence, whilst the toxic cloud heads for Chester-Le-Street/Birtley.

Chemical burns are interesting.

Gone off topic, sorry.

Not sorry.