PDA

View Full Version : GTE Digital Dash Earth Help!

HouseAtreides
03-09-15, 07:05 PM
Hello,

So, wired up my GTE digital dash plugs using this 'How To' guide - http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?93645-*HOW-TO*-fit-a-digi-dash-into-a-mk2-nova - but not clear on what I do with the three earth wires coming from the white Astra plug (picture blow) ...

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t34.0-12/11994351_10206598448752844_593378507_n.jpg?oh=0729 bf91a9d1fadacce0300a6f82c71c&oe=55EB740C

... as well as the earth wire from the Nova loom and on the Astra black plug connector (pictured below):

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpl1/v/t34.0-12/11938193_10206598448792845_222391133_n.jpg?oh=7d21 7c001c6cf5e5a3150967781547b6&oe=55EB3553

What I wonder is whether the earth wire on the Nova loom (pictured above in my hand) connects to the earth wire on the black Astra plug; or, whether one of the three earth wires from the white Astra plug is spliced into the black Astra earth wire which connects to the Nova earth wire?

This would then leave two earth wires on the white Astra plug, which I have no idea about.

Also, what do I do for wiring the 'On Headlamp Switch' (yellow/white wire)? There is no yellow/white wire on the Astra GTE plugs!?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Tony

Southie
03-09-15, 07:58 PM
Connect all the brown wires together as per the diagram in that thread.

the yellow white one gones to the yellow on the black plug.

HouseAtreides
03-09-15, 08:13 PM
Thank you :thumb: When you say connect all the brown wires together, do you mean connect the earth wire from the Nova loom to the earth wire on the black Astra plug, and connect all 3 earth wires to the black Astra plug so as to be interconnected? So many earth wires lol!

millworm
03-09-15, 08:35 PM
All the earth's join together so all nova ones on one conector and all astra on the others

HouseAtreides
03-09-15, 08:58 PM
All the earth's join together so all nova ones on one conector and all astra on the others

Cheers millworm! :thumb:

HouseAtreides
04-09-15, 08:14 PM
Connect all the brown wires together as per the diagram in that thread.

the yellow white one gones to the yellow on the black plug.

So ... there's no yellow wire on the black Astra plug!? Any advice welcome ...

Southie
05-09-15, 05:11 AM
So ... there's no yellow wire on the black Astra plug!? Any advice welcome ...
Strange, are you sure one of the wires that looks like an earth isn't a very browny yellow.

How many wires do you have left on the black plug?

HouseAtreides
06-09-15, 03:44 PM
All the earth wires look brown to me, and not yellowy brown; though who knows, I've been staring at wiring long enough all week that I could be starting to go a tad a colourblind lol (I'll triple check again later to make sure).

There are 10 wires left on the Black Astra plug in total:

1. Green - Rev Counter (to transducer)
2. Blue/Black - Fuel Gauge Warning Light (which is wired colour for colour on the White Astra plug to the Nova loom)
3. Brown/Blue - ?
4. Blue - Temp Gauge (again, connected colour for colour on White Astra plug to Nova)
5. Blue/Green - Oil Warning(?)
6. Blue/White - Battery Charge Gauge + Warning Light(?) (connected on White Astra plug to Nova)
7. Blue/Red - Speedometer (which I'm sure connects to the transducer?)
8. Black/Grey - ?
9. Brown/Red - ?
10. Black/Green - ?

And 2 wires left on the White Astra plug:

1. Green - Rev Counter (which will get wired - as above - to transducer)
2. Blue/Grey - Oil Pressure Gauge (which my Nova Luxe wiring loom and gauges didn't have).

I think what I'm realising (or wondering) as I type here is that just as with the earth wires which connect together as one, so too is it the case that matching colours from both the White and Black Astra plug join together in connection with their matching wire colour either on the Nova loom or transducer? Does that make sense?

I am, however, unsure which colour on the Astra plugs represent the Hazard Warning Light, which is black/white with green trace on the Nova loom! Or, am I getting that wrong, and may already have wired the hazard warning switch light using the diagram in the link below in terms of wiring to left-right indicator stalks? And, if so, does the black/white with green trace wire just get left alone? Any help there and above would be very welcome :)

HouseAtreides
09-09-15, 09:22 AM
... Anyone lol?

Southie
09-09-15, 12:37 PM
... Anyone lol?
Did you look at this diagram? The black/Green is right indicator warning light on the black plug.

Some of the abrevations you've put don't make sense lol i.e
8. Sw/Gr - ?
9. Br/Rt - ?
10. Sw/Gn - ?

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/x_novadose_x/wiringdiagramfordigidash.jpg (http://s61.photobucket.com/user/x_novadose_x/media/wiringdiagramfordigidash.jpg.html)

HouseAtreides
09-09-15, 06:21 PM
Agh ... Probably because I used the wrong wiring key lol I've re-edited it below.

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/DIN-vehicle-wire-colors.JPG

I'll re-do it so as to make sense lol.

So, anyway. I did follow that diagram, and followed it to the letter, wiring the left and right indicator wires from the GTE digi dash loom to each indicator stalk respectively, so my hazard warning light should work?

I guess the only thing I'm unsure of is whether when there is a two wires on both plugs (black and white GTE) which share the same colour, do they get combined into the one terminal connector and wired to the Nova loom like the 3 earth wires on the white and one earth on the black GTE plug to the Nova did?

Southie
09-09-15, 08:07 PM
Agh ... Probably because I used the wrong wiring key lol I've re-edited it below.

I'll re-do it so as to make sense lol.

So, anyway. I did follow that diagram, and followed it to the letter, wiring the left and right indicator wires from the GTE digi dash loom to each indicator stalk respectively, so my hazard warning light should work?

I guess the only thing I'm unsure of is whether when there is a two wires on both plugs (black and white GTE) which share the same colour, do they get combined into the one terminal connector and wired to the Nova loom like the 3 earth wires on the white and one earth on the black GTE plug to the Nova did?yes the black wires all connect together.

HouseAtreides
09-09-15, 08:13 PM
So just to make sure you've not misunderstood me, as I don't think I explained it as thoroughly as I could have below: you didn't just mean that all black wires connect together (which I did know)?; but, rather, all wires from both the white and black GTE plugs connect together when there is, for example, a green wire on the white GTE plug and green wire on the black GTE plug? And the same goes for all other wires from each Astra plug when they match colour?

Cheers for baring with me here lol.

Southie
09-09-15, 09:17 PM
So just to make sure you've not misunderstood me, as I don't think I explained it as thoroughly as I could have below: you didn't just mean that all black wires connect together (which I did know)?; but, rather, all wires from both the white and black GTE plugs connect together when there is, for example, a green wire on the white GTE plug and green wire on the black GTE plug? And the same goes for all other wires from each Astra plug when they match colour?

Cheers for baring with me here lol.
I'm blagged lol

Just match colour for colour.

HouseAtreides
10-09-15, 11:11 AM
lol apologies for introducing you to my world of confusion lol and cheers for the help! :thumb: