PDA

View Full Version : snapped studs in head

jimbob-mcgrew
18-08-15, 10:30 PM
im stripping a head right down, to its bare ass, and both the inlet and exhaust studs are stuck in there real good.

ive managed to get half out ok.
1 on the inlet has snapped on me, and 1 on the exhaust has snapped also.
theres several stubborn ones left in, which i was gonna wait to get some heat on them before attempting removal.

whats the best plan of attack with the 2 snapped ones ?

one has about a centimeter sticking out, which i may be able to heat up, and un-wind with mole grips.
the other has snapped right inside the head, and has nothing to grab. drill, heat, and easy out the best way ?

for the remaining stubborn ones, whats the best way of heating ? ... do i want to heat the bolt alone, or do i just want to heat the head, or both ?

cheers for any info :thumb:

brainsnova
18-08-15, 10:57 PM
Weld on nuts to the studs and loosen straightaway, the heat is that good it should unwind

paul james
18-08-15, 11:05 PM
Or you can put two nuts on the remaining studs. Tighten the two nuts agaisnt each other then take a spanner to the inner nut to get the stud out. Personally I would heat the studs rather than the head.

Guess you'll have to drill out the stud which doesn't have any part left sticking out.

When putting the head back together in mine I used stainless steel studs with hex hole ends, makes putting them in and removing them again should I need to much easier.

jimbob-mcgrew
19-08-15, 08:34 PM
Weld on nuts to the studs and loosen straightaway, the heat is that good it should unwind

dont have a welder unfortunatly. ones snapped below the head surface too :(

Or you can put two nuts on the remaining studs. Tighten the two nuts agaisnt each other then take a spanner to the inner nut to get the stud out. Personally I would heat the studs rather than the head.

Guess you'll have to drill out the stud which doesn't have any part left sticking out.

When putting the head back together in mine I used stainless steel studs with hex hole ends, makes putting them in and removing them again should I need to much easier.

i usually use the ' 2 nuts locked together ' method to get the studs out, but this time some broke on me.

ill try get some heat on the remaining 6 or 7 before i attempt extraction. and the snapped ones, ill have to drill out, then heat, and easy-out i think. i just hope they come out, and i dont end up killing a perfectly good head. never had any luck with drilling bolts out.

bazzap8389
19-08-15, 09:00 PM
If you're having no luck drilling them out put it into a local machine shop to drill them for you mate.

meritlover
19-08-15, 10:09 PM
Chuck a 2nd hand head in it and repair it later. What you're about to attempt is a horrendous task without the right tools and equipment. Sure you can 'drill them out' but then what will you do?
Also, the thread is clearly siezed tight enough to shear an M8 stud so an easi-out of half the diameter is unlikely to end in anything other than the added headache if how you are now going to remove your sheared easi-out as well as rescue the remaining thread/stud.

jimbob-mcgrew
25-08-15, 08:36 PM
manged to get 6 more out, using a blowtorch to heat the studs, but was time consuming, and took forever to get them out.
2 more studs also snapped on me doing it that way.

i tried welding a nut to 1 with a shorter stud, and that snapped again.

there proper stuck in there.

i might try sticking a dremel down into, whats left of the stud, and open it out, almost to the threads, then use an easy out

meritlover
25-08-15, 09:56 PM
May God be with you.

jimbob-mcgrew
26-08-15, 01:07 AM
May God be with you.

haha ... yeah thanks ML. i think im gonna need some special magic, not to cock this one up lol

i just found out that i was doing it wrong, i should have been heating the head, and not the bolt.

saw a good demo, of a guy placing a large washer down on the hole of the head, and putting some weld onto the remnants of the snapped stud, and then attaching a washer to the weld, and then a nut to the washer.

maybe his technique, plus gently heating the head, will free the threads.

if all fails, ill pour liquid nitrogen all over the head, and lamp it with a sledgehammer :)

garyc
26-08-15, 08:17 AM
Hit the studs hard a couple of times before you attempt to take them out. the shock frees the threads up.

jimbob-mcgrew
26-08-15, 09:44 AM
good vibrations

cheers gary :thumb: