PDA

View Full Version : Ignition barrel

HouseAtreides
18-08-15, 01:21 PM
Quick question: does anyone know whether I would need the matching the key for a replacement ignition barrel? Bought one some time ago due to the old barrel being broken as a consequence of the car being stolen, but never received a key with it.

Cheers,
Tony

HouseAtreides
18-08-15, 07:30 PM
Think I sussed out what I was trying to understand: namely, that the ignition barrel lock (first picture) I bought didn't come with the actual barrel that the key fits into (in the second picture). Thus, bought a new barrel with key (second picture) which attaches to the barrel lock (first picture). Didn't realise (or even stop to think) that the barrel which the key fits into was separate from the barrel lock which attaches to the steering column. Thus, (hopefully) problem now solved.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTI3WDE2MDA=/z/QUsAAOSw54xUX3xL/$_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE5NVgxNjAw/$(KGrHqRHJDoE9BKw9V-jBPTmJj,ek!~~60_12.JPG

josh-sri
18-08-15, 07:53 PM
Have you tried removing the old barrel from the barrel lock yet? Just im sure you need the key to do this, as you turn the key to release the barrel, ignore me if you have already sorted this!!

Josh

HouseAtreides
18-08-15, 08:29 PM
Have you tried removing the old barrel from the barrel lock yet? Just im sure you need the key to do this, as you turn the key to release the barrel, ignore me if you have already sorted this!!

Josh

When the car was stolen the barrel was broken off the barrel lock in order to start it with a small implement which looked as if it would've been used for bringing up old wing aerials that you manually extend and collapse. I remember because the small tool was left in the barrel lock, and so that's what I had to use to start it until the car was sorted lol. By then, I had taken the car off the road to begin restoring it, so haven't reached the point of fitting the new ignition barrel and barrel lock. But I didn't know that Josh, so thank you - will bear that in mind when fitting the new barrel to the new barrel lock :thumb: