PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1.2 SPI Loom in LET Conversion?

HouseAtreides
10-08-15, 10:52 PM
Hi,

Slightly flummoxed as to what Nova looms (if any - though not a carbureted loom) that can be used other than a GSI/SRI/GTE (MPI) loom in an LET conversion. To be more specific, I'm struggling to source a loom from any of the aforementioned Novas (mine originally being a carbureted model), and was wondering whether a 1.2 SPI Nova loom will work in an LET conversion in the same way using a GSI/GTE or SRI car loom would without the complications of a carb/poverty spec car loom?

I have an MPI tank, external fuel pump, GSI fuel sender unit - the lot; just not a GSI/GTE or SRI car loom to mate to (and make less complicated) the conversion.

Any help/advice would be warmly welcomed.

Cheers,
Tony

Benn
11-08-15, 12:31 PM
You have to cut in to every loom inc GSI/GTE looms.

Edd
11-08-15, 12:37 PM
A SPI loom is the worst one to start from

Get,gsi loom is the best

But why not just use a carb one? All the wires are there

HouseAtreides
12-08-15, 09:07 AM
You have to cut in to every loom inc GSI/GTE looms.

It was mainly for the plugs etc., Benn. I'm really not well rehearsed in knowing what goes where, hence my confusion about using my carb loom.

A SPI loom is the worst one to start from

Get,gsi loom is the best

But why not just use a carb one? All the wires are there

Edd, I'm trying to track down a GSI/GTE loom, but not having much luck. Didn't realise my carb loom would do just as well for plumbing into the LET, so will perhaps just run with that given it is uncut and in very good condition.

I sourced this mini loom from somewhere (but can't remember where). To me, it looks like either the fuel wiring from a GTE or GSI. Any clues? What stumps me is the fuse and relay, which lead to nowhere. Then there is the two straps (brown (earth) and red (live?). Can't figure out whether this mini loom needs wired/spliced into the LET loom or what. The loom itself seems the perfect length for fitting to the petrol tank and external fuel pump; yet the relay stops short of reaching the footwell where I would've thought it would connect to something?

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t34.0-12/11853970_10206429708014431_1413464417_n.jpg?oh=1b9 bf85eb3bf84df1f94caa0fa2d1ba2&oe=55CC90B7
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t34.0-12/11857602_10206429707934429_182540750_n.jpg?oh=6d32 3f77f1622fb60bb9533fb8a061ac&oe=55CD6774
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t34.0-12/11880168_10206429707894428_1564276700_n.jpg?oh=c23 0121853083eb2998d76b7d5df48e6&oe=55CD93AE

I'm also sure that I bought a fuel pump relay for an LET, without really knowing why lol.

Benn
12-08-15, 12:30 PM
You wont need the plugs from the loom.

You can join the engine loom in the foot well to the Nova car loom by the fuse box.
As far as i can work out you don't need the bit of loom in the pic. Well i've never used that in any if done.

As for buying a FPR for a let, that's good you'll want one. You use the Let engine looms fpr plug and bits.

HouseAtreides
12-08-15, 08:09 PM
Agh-ha, I see. Just a case of attaching the relevant wires from the Nova loom to the LET block, and others in the foot-well and to the fuse box and Bob's your Uncle?

If I don't use the mini loom pictured below (which seems to be for the MPI fuel tank and external fuel pump), how and what do I use for the tank and external pump given that my car (originally being carbureted) didn't have an external fuel pump?

The engine loom doesn't come with many bits, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say use the FPR etc,.

I have just bought a new loom different from the one pictured, which is in the post to me courtesy of Keith Robinson, though won't be able tell whether it will be much the same in terms of wiring, albeit in much better condition, as the one below.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t34.0-12/11855590_10206428510584496_1900498578_n.jpg?oh=134 6d4b5823e0da1590ad3661ebeaa22&oe=55CD6B7B
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t34.0-12/11845959_10206428504664348_317091478_n.jpg?oh=0bde 6f4bf9b1446ed24d460e3151b6be&oe=55CD464C

So, this is the loom that came with the engine. Was pretty disappointed with the overall condition of it due to the fact that the engine has been completely remanufactured (hence my reason for buying Keith's LET loom and ECU off him). Nonetheless, I'm a bit confused at what I'm looking at. The wires coming from the loom in the second (lower) picture don't correspond to many of the 'How To' guides description of different wires. There should be a big (thick) red/blue wire for the fuel pump, which on this there doesn't appear to be (at least not where I would expect it to be for using as a feed to the petrol tank and external fuel pump).

Instead, if I follow it from the FPR, it goes into the main section of the engine loom and into the plastic casing which clips onto the injector plugs. Furthermore, there is a thick brown cable coming off the FPR (pictured) which I have no clue about. The thick blue cable has 200 degrees C written on it in small letters, which I presume is the temperature sensor wire, which is all fine and well if it is. But again, I'm not sure. Then, amongst those few wires, blue temp, and green rev counter (presumably), there is a small (thin) red/blue wire, which apparently is the speed signal sensor, (and not the FPR wire), which supposedly I do not use!

So my confusion is, is that if the big red/blue FPR wire from the LET is meant to go to the other thick red/blue FPR wire on the Nova (which mine doesn't have, other than on the FPR on the mini loom pictured below), and I can't see any thick red/blue FPR wire coming off the engine loom to use as a feed, what on earth do I do lol?

Absolutely out of my depth here!!

Benn
13-08-15, 08:07 AM
You can use the bit of loom to power the pump if you want. But it might be a bit thin. I ran a new thicker power down to the pump. The ground wont need to be that long either.

Yes its the thick red/blue that is the pump wiring/powering. Can't remember off hand the nova side. But its very easy to find. Sure there's a wiring guide on here, if not here then on MIG.

HouseAtreides
13-08-15, 08:54 AM
Aye, it is a bit on the thin side. Might buy new, thicker, wiring and re-do the mini fuel loom. Apologies for the 20 questions, but what is the ground? Is that the thick brown cable protruding from the FPR (pictured) on the LET loom? Or is the ground simply a(ny) wire (such as the thick red/blue wire) which acts as a feed from a specific terminal, control unit or plug in sending power to perform a specific function? Electronics is really not my forte.

I'll have a look and see if I can find the red/blue fuel wire on the Nova later this afternoon. Generally speaking, the Nova looms seem relatively straightforward to work on with a clear enough wiring diagram, and with any luck once the new loom arrives I might have a clearer idea of what I'm doing, as it was used in another Nova which might go a long way to solving my problem of identifying the relevant wires and therefore knowing what wire goes where in joining the two looms together.

Lee H
13-08-15, 12:36 PM
That first loom you posted is for the two tone horn I think. Definitely not for fuel pump.

HouseAtreides
13-08-15, 12:43 PM
You could be right Lee, but it's odd that it has all the same wire colours (thick red/blue, etc.,) for a fuel pump and tank with a FPR attached to the end of it, then. Moreover, it is the exact length needed to run between the two.

Benn
13-08-15, 01:37 PM
Ground/earth are normally the thick brown ones yes.
Everyone asks questions its how we learn.

Lee H
13-08-15, 01:39 PM
Used to have the same thing clipped on the bulkhead near the battery on my GSi. Could be totally wrong as its been a while.

http://www.partsbase.org/opel/corsa-a-1983-1992-16-7-20-horn-wiring-harness/

HouseAtreides
13-08-15, 01:55 PM
Ground/earth are normally the thick brown ones yes.
Everyone asks questions its how we learn.

:thumb:

Used to have the same thing clipped on the bulkhead near the battery on my GSI. Think it might connect to the cooling fan as well which is what the relay is for. Could be totally wrong as its been a while.

Agh-ha, interesting! The only reason I think it's for the external fuel pump and tank, other than the length being the exact reach between the external fuel pump and tank, is that it was advertised as just that - off a GTE Nova. But, then, I'm almost certain I bought it on eBay, and we all know that things sold on the bay can often be sold as some particular thing when in actuality it is not.

Guess I'll never really know lol. Guess, also, I'll just have to piss with the cock I've got (as they say in Scotland), and use some ingenuity in making the wiring for the external fuel pump and tank.

Benn
14-08-15, 07:56 AM
Trying to nice you a fantastic guide to wiring them in. But can't find it.

HouseAtreides
14-08-15, 10:40 PM
Trying to nice you a fantastic guide to wiring them in. But can't find it.

Oooh, that would be very nice indeed if you do find it lol.

Benn
19-08-15, 11:13 AM
This is a very good guide as it has photos. THe bit about the diag plug you can skip as there's no point fitting it.

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/other-mechanical-electrical/389844-xe-into-old-nova-wiring-guide.html

HouseAtreides
23-08-15, 10:23 PM
This is a very good guide as it has photos. THe bit about the diag plug you can skip as there's no point fitting it.

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/other-mechanical-electrical/389844-xe-into-old-nova-wiring-guide.html

Cheers Benn, looks good :thumb: Got a beelin' finger the now that's on the mend, but wiring shall hopefully recommence late this week or early next.