PDA

View Full Version : Back from the mechanic

ShawnAzzopardi
10-08-15, 08:19 PM
So I got my Nova back from the mechanic today. I need a few things still, 2 of which are okay, the other not so okay.

So all I need is a water pump (Isuzu TD, no worries.), CV joint (a bit expensive, but again, no worries) and what's not okay is a steering rack. Now, I don't think I'll be able to find a new unit will I? If so, know any websites? thank you

mowgli
10-08-15, 08:47 PM
Get a corsa b one. Then change the rods over, as the corsa ones are longer. If you fancy a quick rack, get an epas one. I paid a tenner for one on ebay

Andy
10-08-15, 09:02 PM
Epas corsa ones are equivalant to a quickrack? Interesting.....

mowgli
10-08-15, 09:13 PM
Yup.

Andy
10-08-15, 09:25 PM
Cool.see my new thread mike please you might be able to help.

ShawnAzzopardi
10-08-15, 09:40 PM
Get a corsa b one. Then change the rods over, as the corsa ones are longer. If you fancy a quick rack, get an epas one. I paid a tenner for one on ebay
You paid ten pounds to get a Corsa B rack? (EPAS means electric power assisted steering right?)

TOZNOVA81
10-08-15, 10:04 PM
Ye the Tigra racks are too, I've got a Hydro rack on mine tho rather than the epas. think i paid something stupid like £14 for it off ebay also haha

Johnny A
10-08-15, 10:23 PM
Yep both Nova's running epas Corsa racks here, IIRC they are 2.7 turns lock to lock??

I have a genuine isuzu water pump in box still if you need one.

wwmnw
10-08-15, 10:52 PM
I bought a steering rack off ebay when I had my SR project, cant remember if it was new or reconditioned but it looked brand new.

ShawnAzzopardi
11-08-15, 06:20 AM
Yep both Nova's running epas Corsa racks here, IIRC they are 2.7 turns lock to lock??

I have a genuine isuzu water pump in box still if you need one.

For a 1.5 or a 1.7? I have a 1.7. Don't know if they use the same pump.

Everywhere I look, I get like, between 100 Euro and 500 Euro for a new steering rack. I'll give a look to eBay, though I'd think shipping will be a bit annoying. I quite like the feel of no power steering.

ShawnAzzopardi
11-08-15, 12:57 PM
On a completely unrelated subject, can you switch out the bulbs on the gauges? Mine make almost no difference being on and would quite like to change them to something brighter, or even at least better bulbs. If so, what bulbs would I need?

mowgli
11-08-15, 07:36 PM
Some people fit led's

To add about the rack. It's the column that provides the power the rack is the same as a nova one.

ShawnAzzopardi
11-08-15, 08:24 PM
Some people fit led's

To add about the rack. It's the column that provides the power the rack is the same as a nova one.
It'll probably be easier getting a Corsa B one then. But I'll stick to the standard one, as it'll probably be easier and more than likely cheaper.

All I'd have to switch out is the tie rods?

ShawnAzzopardi
12-08-15, 12:55 PM
Again, I just looked on eBay and all the Nova steering racks I'm seeing are well over $170. Over $220 for a Quaife one. I think I'll have to go used.

BRoadGhost
14-08-15, 10:53 PM
Check the UJ in the drivers footwell before buying another rack

ABoresta
20-08-15, 08:00 AM
Is there a how to on fitting the corsa epas rack as im interested just like to know for sure what would need replacing? is it just the rack and rods?

Benn
20-08-15, 10:30 AM
No.

The top of the coloum is all wrong. where the ing barrel is in the wrong place too.

mowgli
20-08-15, 11:08 PM
The rack is a straight swap for the nova one. Fit the nova rods to it.

Benn
21-08-15, 02:39 PM
Oh sorry, your talking just rack, no epas coloum.

ABoresta
26-08-15, 09:49 AM
Yeah sorry just change the rack for the EPAS one for a quick rack effect?
Also slightly off topic does anyone else feel like there steering collumn is wonky or could mine be bent? im sure my seat is straight but it feels like the steering wheel is slightly off centre and at a slight angle...

ShawnAzzopardi
26-08-15, 10:19 AM
Yeah sorry just change the rack for the EPAS one for a quick rack effect?
Also slightly off topic does anyone else feel like there steering collumn is wonky or could mine be bent? im sure my seat is straight but it feels like the steering wheel is slightly off centre and at a slight angle...
Mine is too, just ever so slightly.

meritlover
26-08-15, 06:37 PM
thats 'normal' for a Nova