PDA

View Full Version : Turbo???

wrigleys
21-09-03, 02:15 PM
I was just wondering if a turbo system of a 1.5/1.7 TD nova, would fit onto a 1.2??

what do you guys reckon??

beatin u
21-09-03, 04:59 PM
I recon any things possible. sum folk on RB done realy cheep turbo conversions on there 1.6's.

Serialkilla
22-09-03, 02:44 AM
Is your car a carburettor or a spi/mpi????

Aragorn
22-09-03, 10:38 AM
it all really depends on how the exhuast manifolds match up

having a quick look at the EPC it seems the diesel manifold is a totally different shape althou it may be possible to mod it

i'd say the easiest way would be the "traditional" T2 route

u can either make your own manifold assuming u can fabribcate summat suitable or buy one from the likes of courtenay

if its a carb u;d really need to switch to injection as the pressure from the boost will blow the fuel out the float chambers on most carbs

then all u'd need to do is lower compression and find some way of adding extra fuel

wrigleys
22-09-03, 11:18 AM
It's a carb model, but how hard would it be to change to fuel injection??
I've had a look on epc and the manifolds do look the same.

Does anyone know they web address for courtney?

Cheers for your help guys.

locky
22-09-03, 04:30 PM
TBH m8, is all that worht it for a 1.2? switch 2 injection, lower compression, then turbo it!
If u do it then all the best, but don't seem worth it IMHO!

wrigleys
22-09-03, 04:33 PM
I've just been to courtney's web page they want 3 grand for a turbo conversion!! :o

Fuckin rip off, I could buy a new car for that price!!

well thats that idea down the drain :lol:

Ste_Nova
22-09-03, 04:39 PM
td engines are isuzu

geordie_racer
22-09-03, 05:41 PM
fcuk 3 grand you can do it yourself easily for less. you can run a carb turbo if you choose thats what r5gt turbo's do they just use a specially enclosed carb which im sure could be modified to fit a nova manifold. then ud raid the oil cooler and T2 turbo from the r5 aswell then ud b left with findin an intercooler which you could use a sierra cossie job.

or for injection theres a couple of options. again a r5gt turbo T" and oil cooler. sierra cossie intercooler. then you get to the fueling options, which are like such,

5th injector and controller (use injector from astra gte not sure bout controller)
fully remapable ecu (best option use sum1 like emerald but will take a while to get set up perfectly)

hope that helps, if you havent guessed ive been looking at turboing aswell and have spoken at length with chip_rb who is very knowledgeble on the subject

chris

Jules
22-09-03, 07:00 PM
Few years back I saw in CCC mag (I think) a 1.4 carb Nova that had just that, the turbo and carb from a R5GTT, and from what I remember it churned out quite a hefty whack of power. It wasn't a road car it was some kind of race car, think it might of been a sprint car but not 100% on that.
Maybe you could get the CCC magazines on back order that ran the articles about it by contacting the CCC offices?
:roll:

geordie_racer
22-09-03, 07:11 PM
doin it the carb way is quite simple coz basically u take the r5gtt setup and mod it to fit. it would work for a road car aswell only probs forseeable are very minor such as fettling carbs is a pain in the arse and the r5gtt had major cooling problems which is why they kept blowing but as said there easily fixed.

chris

wrigleys
22-09-03, 08:45 PM
hmmmmm.........

this is getting very complicated now :? ,

do I:

1. get a TD nova lump and play with that converting it to the 1.2 lump
2. shell out for a courtney conversion
3. try running a R5GTT system
4. get a 2.0 turbo lump :twisted: (loads of work and money)
5. be a boring fat and forget about it

HELP????

locky
22-09-03, 08:47 PM
Consider no 4 1st!
By the amount of money youd spend trying 2 convert a 1.2 into a turbo, youd spent that money on a turbo valver, plus u gonna get many more horseys from it!

Then i'd consider no 5 :roll:

Aragorn
22-09-03, 08:50 PM
u missed the safest option

convert to injection by fitting 1600 head and injection system, fit mappable 5th injector to sort fuelling, use T2 and intercooler from R5GTT or Fiesta RS Turbo

Serialkilla
22-09-03, 11:12 PM
Or you can just find a turbo car with roughly the same compression ratio as the 1.2.

modify the exhaust manifold,
R5gtt carb and 2 inlet manifolds or just change the ends to a nova,
Intercooler (of your choice),
Pipe work and turbo cooler,
Dump valve & wastegate

All available from a scrap yard

And a flammer kit!!!!! :lol:

Serialkilla
26-09-03, 12:57 AM
Have you managed to do a turbo conversion yet???

2litreturbo
26-09-03, 07:17 PM
If anyone is interested, i have a IHI RHF5 Turbo for sale. I used to work at M Racing which is where i got the turbo which i originally hoped to fit to my 2.0 8v but then lost interest and spent the money on paint instead. It has just been FULLY rebuilt with a 247 shaft (friction welded and balanced compressor wheel) and 360 thrust bearing. It has been run for approx 10 minutes on a dyno since the rebuild. It also has a -63 actuator with heavy duty actuator linkage. The actuator was originally supplied air from a pair of air injectors which means the actuator was operating a approx 2-3 operations per second. So there is no doubt that the actuator and linkage are sound.
The exhaust turbine housing has a 8mm hole in it for an EGT thermocouple as i had hoped to use the turbo with a GEMS engine management system. The hole can easily be welded up.

To view specs of the turbo go to:
http://www.ihi-turbo.com/turbo_RHE-RHF.htm
and also
http://www.ihi-turbo.com/turbo_chart.htm

The work that this turbo has had done makes this a WRC spec. turbo. It will easily run at 5 bar and is strong enough for an anti-lag system.

If anyone is SERIOUSLY interested, i can supply pictures. I also have details of companys in essex who will make up the appropriate exhaust manifold and supply oil feed and drain pipes.

NO TIMEWASTERS PLEASE!