PDA

View Full Version : Best Phase 2 ECU Engine Software Upgrade for C20LET

HouseAtreides
23-07-15, 03:39 PM
Hi, looking for some recommendations in what sorts of engine management upgrades are best in upgrading/replacing my standard ECU with some new engine management, Phase 2 being the aim, and no more than 270 bhp. The engine has been completely remanufactured, with a sizable list of upgrades being carried out in the build.

Spec list below
Block-

• c20xe early type block, re-bored to 86.5 with 3 tho clearance on the bores all work carried out by CNC heads ( Ric wood)
•fully decked, acid dipped and painted in high temp black paint.
•oil feed blank professionally drilled and tapped to accept the original let oil return fitting.
• mahle 0.5 oversize pistons with new rings properly gapped, standard let conrods with ARP 2000 bolts.
• ACL race big end bearings, standard size.
• mahle mains bearings, standard size.
•early c20xe crank, balanced and polished.
• Brand new late timing belt kit, water pump, crank bolt and genuine brand new backing plate all supplied by Autovaux.
• Brand new 2.0 8 valve baffle plate, Autovaux.
• brand new c20let oil pump, Autovaux.
• victor reinz crank seals.
c20let standard oil cooler sandwich plate with pipercross oil filter
standard c20let pot type flywheel with helix clutch, used.
Head-

•c20let GM head , fully rebuilt , porous mod done with stainless sleeves.
• fully ported and polished to a very high standard!
• autosprint bronze valve guides, brand new autosprint lifters.
• brand new genuine GM valve springs and retaining caps.
• skimmed by CNC heads ( Ric wood) 1.5 tho
• fully rebuilt by Ric wood including installation of all new components.
• c20xe inlet cam , standard c20let exhaust cam.
• brand new Kent vernier pulley in blue, square tooth on the inlet cam.left at 0 degrees up to the new owner to retard it 6 degrees.
• brand new RS turbo spark plugs.
• new victor reinz head bolts.
• genuine GM c20let head gasket.
Brand new cool running 82 degrees c thermostat with polished housing.

Inlet-

•C20let standard inlet manifold, shot blasted and professionally painted in gloss black.
• C20let fuel rail powder coated. Astra VXR 470cc injectors which have been ultrasonicaly cleaned.
• fuel pressure blanking plate with aero quip fuel fitting.
• C20let throttle body, fully stripped and internally polished. Powder coated in gloss black with new tps sensor.
• genuine GM throttle body gaskets.
• standard let top hat Painted in gunmetal grey.
Turbo-

•Hybrid Kkk rebuilt by turbo dynamics, no play in shaft, no smoke or rattles in excellent condition.
• standard let actuator.
• powder coated actuator bracket.
• aeroquip fittings for both oil and water feeds.
•stainless bolts on compressor housing and actuator.

Ancillaries-

• brand new dizzy cap and rotor arm, autovaux.
• brand new K1 ignition leads, 12mm in blue.
• Chris astley rocker breather hose in blue.
• TX autosport afm pipe, standard also included.
• c20let sump acid dipped and painted in silver.
• Nortech performance blanking plate in custom anodised gold, 1 off!
• stripped and painted starter motor in gunmetal grey.
•rocker cover and timing cover acid dipped and professionaly painted in range rover gunmetal grey. Holes cut out for ease of set up on pulleys.
Aluminium spark plug cover, proffesionally panited in high gloss red with polished lettering.
powder coated c20let underdrive pulley in gloss black with stainless bolts
Tx autosport stainless waterbar.
original stainless oilcap, polished.
high quality stainless steel bolts used throughout the engine
high tensile CAT 10.9 nuts and bolts used on weighted parts.

Cheers,
Tony

Nick J
23-07-15, 07:21 PM
Your best bet is standalone management mapped to your requirements however if that's too overkill then speak to Eds direct for their phase two equipment. Their are copies available but genuine would be better. Theirs an option for a two stage boost control too with stock and phase two boost.

Scottcooper85
23-07-15, 09:04 PM
This is something I've been looking into this week too, which are the best options to go for stand alone wise?

Stuart
23-07-15, 09:08 PM
The 'best' is what the bloke you want to calibrate it uses.....

Scottcooper85
23-07-15, 09:13 PM
The 'best' is what the bloke you want to calibrate it uses.....

True lol I meant what's best for fitting, do certain brands do specific let looms, cost (not a problem for some but no point spending more then needed), do some do things that others don't, etc.

HouseAtreides
24-07-15, 01:45 AM
Cheers for the feedback Nick J, and absolutely agree with you Stuart that much of the potential lies in the hands of the technician diagnosing/tuning the software. On the latter point, there is a newly established company not far from where I live who seem to have a good rep at ecu remaps and tuning, so would be willing to put my car in their hands upon completion to see what magic they can work.

Personally, however, I'm not looking to go overkill, so something such as an EDS phase 2 chip would possibly fit the bill. I'll give EDS a bell tomorrow and see what's what :thumb:

Stuart
24-07-15, 07:25 AM
Bear in mind that using legit EDS will likely mean going to lageR who are mongs at best.... :(
For what you want the copies are 'fine' and if it's a moderate power you are after then it's more than adequate imho.

Rob H
24-07-15, 12:18 PM
You want to be aiming for 300/320+ with that spec or the whole build is overkill, bone stock let will make 270/280 with just a chipset.

HouseAtreides
24-07-15, 03:44 PM
You want to be aiming for 300/320+ with that spec or the whole build is overkill, bone stock let will make 270/280 with just a chipset.

I'm really not sure that I do want to be aiming for 300/320+, for the simple reason that I'm only running the standard KKK turbo. I see your point about the rebuild itself being overkill, but fortunately for me I never paid to have it built to that spec; rather, I simply bought it off the person who did because of a sudden change in their circumstances, thus got it for half the price that he paid for it (which was dirt cheap considering what these engines fetch in untouched form) minus the F20 gearbox, which I never wanted anyway as was always going to run it with an F28. SO while I'm not aiming to utilise its maximum potential, I feel aiming for 280 is about right and still fun enough.

Bear in mind that using legit EDS will likely mean going to lageR who are mongs at best.... :(
For what you want the copies are 'fine' and if it's a moderate power you are after then it's more than adequate imho.

I have to say, I've done some reading online and from what I can make of it those copy EDS phase 2 chips off the bay seem perfect for the sort of power I'm looking for. The seller has also got pretty a pretty good rating and feedback, which for me gives me confidence in buying from them.

Rob H
24-07-15, 06:31 PM
270 brake will be nice don't get me wrong but give it a few months and you will want more, I'm at 350atm and still feel like it needs more pull lol.

HouseAtreides
24-07-15, 09:24 PM
I suspect you're probably right, though perhaps starting at around the 270 mark with one of those EDS copies (which are very affordable) then increasing power/investing money in some better management down the line if and when I get bored :)

turbo-boy
25-07-15, 08:53 PM
i made 302 bhp on phase 2 and kkk turbo

HouseAtreides
27-07-15, 11:04 AM
i made 302 bhp on phase 2 and kkk turbo

That's what I like to hear :thumb: