PDA

View Full Version : seam welding

ncole
20-09-03, 10:00 PM
how much would i expect to pay to get me enigne bay seam welded think of doing a valver conversion so pricing it all up at the moment

leepwoollard
20-09-03, 10:24 PM
ive had a few quotes mate all seem 2 b around ?200 if i take it down there with the engine out

Mark
20-09-03, 10:27 PM
If your thinking of fitting a valver yourself then invest in a welder for about ?100 and practice a bit on some scrap metal then do it yourself...

Ste_Nova
21-09-03, 01:21 PM
STICH welding not SEAM welding

Dicko
21-09-03, 02:29 PM
think he means STITCH

Gobby
21-09-03, 04:05 PM
What is stitch welding?

I'm clueless when it comes to welding, but want to save costs when I do me conversion, and want to tell people I done it myself.

beatin u
21-09-03, 04:50 PM
stitch weld: weld an inch or so, leave an inch, then another weld.

seam weld is a continuous weld no gaps. Apparently you dont need this/ott. I do tho :wink:

Dan
21-09-03, 05:02 PM
stitch welding is far better, in an impact there is still some room for crumpling etc. A seam weld in my eyes is far to strong and transfers all the force beyond that area to the next vulnerable bit where you are sat. The group A nova bible even only has stitch welding in and the abuse they get is far superior to road going versions.

ncole
22-09-03, 11:50 AM
cheers all how hard would this be to do ya self then and wots involved

Ste_Nova
22-09-03, 11:57 AM
stitch welding is far better, in an impact there is still some room for crumpling etc.

pics of ians crash needed

NovaNeil
22-09-03, 12:34 PM
Whoops! :? I've seam welded my engine bay and fitted a Harry Hockley chassis strengthing kit! Oh dear, just better not crash it then should I.

Ste_Nova
22-09-03, 01:07 PM
Whoops! :? I've seam welded my engine bay and fitted a Harry Hockley chassis strengthing kit! Oh dear, just better not crash it then should I.

have you welded up the rest of the car?

NovaNeil
22-09-03, 03:57 PM
I've STITCH welded around the rear top suspension struts and have cut out the spare wheel well and welded a 5mm thick plate across the whole width of the car. Also im have a rollcage.

Why? Is this bad or good from a safety perspective?

Ste_Nova
22-09-03, 04:37 PM
I've STITCH welded around the rear top suspension struts and have cut out the spare wheel well and welded a 5mm thick plate across the whole width of the car. Also im have a rollcage.

Why? Is this bad or good from a safety perspective?

have you got rear coilovers?

5mm is too thick.... if hit in the rear the plate won't bend

locky
22-09-03, 05:01 PM
I seam welded all along the chassis and the front suspension!
for a 1.6 conversion :lol:

Stuart
22-09-03, 05:13 PM
also if the seam weld cracks, it wont stop.

but if a stitch cracks it will only go the length of the stitch, so the integrety remains.

I intend to stitch weld most of the car (when i get the welder and time lol)

ncole
22-09-03, 05:44 PM
so how hard would this be to do if i had access to a welder and do myself

locky
22-09-03, 05:51 PM
Easy peasy!
If u use a mig welder, turn on the gas n pull the trigger!
arc welder is a bit more difficult especially when the rod sticks, u lift your mask n then it arcs lmao!
Make sure u get rid of the paint and the sealant, otherwise it wont weld, or youl end up with a rubbish weld!A good arth is good 2!
Its best 2 disconnect the battery and make sure the fuel pipes are tied well back!
Make sure som1 is fire watchman!

ncole
22-09-03, 05:56 PM
are you serious it cant be that easy if ya never welded b4

locky
22-09-03, 06:02 PM
Really yeah!

Practice on scrap metal 1st tho!
the hardest bit is finding the right setting!

pro welders are just used to their tools! and know the correct settings 4 different guages of steel!

Ste_Nova
22-09-03, 06:54 PM
I seam welded all along the chassis and the front suspension!
for a 1.6 conversion :lol:

under the arch too??

welded the legs to the bulkhead?

locky
22-09-03, 07:14 PM
under the suspension was welded b4 4 an mot, a filled a hole in the arch, but no i didnt weld the legs 2 the bulkhead i dont think so neway! cant remember TBH

CP
23-09-03, 11:03 AM
I have to disagree with peeps who say its easy - to do it correctly its not!

Anyone can blob chicken shit MIG weld over a joint and think its welded. I've seen some and believe me its next to useless. If you see proper competition spec welding you'll realise what I mean.

There are 2 major problems :

1. The rubberised joint sealer. On some Novas ( MK1's that Ive seen) this shit has not been used which makes welding 100% easier. Many tho have it and it not only lays over the top of the joint but it also is between the joints. If you dont remove virtually all traces, it releases gases and smoke as it burns which disrupts the inert gas shield allowing O2 in which ruins the metalurgy of the weld. Worst case scenario looks like an Aero choc bar

2. Cold lapping. Cold lapping is a scenario that can occur with MIG welding where the moulten metal from welding sits on top of the joint with appearance that its welded it together. Closer inspection reveals that in fact the 2 metals havent correctly fused togther. Its not that easy for even an expert to spot at times. Its a fine line between having not too much heat so that the weld burns through and enough so that you dont get cold lapping. Thin shitty part rusty steel is about THE most difficult stuff to prep & weld correctly.

If you aren't practical let someone else do it. Get a professional welder ( not a mechanic who can do a bit of welding) to make sure you get it welded right.
A lot of Novas driving around with 2.0l lumps in, what with corrosion and shite welding etc I reckon would be death traps in the event of a high speed frontal impact.

Ste_Nova
23-09-03, 12:10 PM
A lot of Novas driving around with 2.0l lumps in, what with corrosion and s**t welding etc I reckon would be death traps in the event of a high speed frontal impact.

ian

so1o
23-09-03, 03:32 PM
Im glad i had my car done by Rifle Range Motorsports, they know what there on about :lol:

I agree with CP beacuse he showed me some bodge welding that had been done to my car, im just glad he saw it and sorte dit out :)

locky
23-09-03, 04:08 PM
I Weld lifts 2 the back of lorries!
I might have just picked up welding easily! others may find it difficult i spose!
We are all differnt!

CP
23-09-03, 10:27 PM
A lot of Novas driving around with 2.0l lumps in, what with corrosion and s**t welding etc I reckon would be death traps in the event of a high speed frontal impact.

ian

Ooo nasty :lol:

Ben
24-09-03, 06:26 PM
The EDS Phase 5 Nova Turbo owned buy a young guy has had NO strenghting done whatsoever and he has done over 16k KM and it hasnt given in any spots.

There theory was to fit the engine and let it cause some damage so they know where to do the work on rather than just randomly welding the car up. It hasnt caused any stress fractures or similar and the car is around 400+BHP.

beatin u
24-09-03, 09:12 PM
the welding is done to hold the extra weight of the engine, bigger weight bouncing up and down on shity uk roads. mine had no welding done for the first 5 years (50k miles) of 16v running, so you can get away without it.