PDA

View Full Version : Nova brakes

ShawnAzzopardi
16-07-15, 07:57 PM
I'm thinking about going EBC brakes by the end of the summer. Now, I'm gonna get a set of vented discs for the 1.4/1.6 model ones. Are these direct bolt on to standard Nova hubs? Including calipers. (I know I'll need to upgrade calipers to fit the new thicker discs, so that's fine, but I mean would I need to modify anything around or is everything mounted in the exact same way?)

PS, which brand of the 1.4/1.6 Nova calipers would be best? I heard that the Delco ones are brown pants worthy.

millworm
16-07-15, 08:24 PM
You probably have 1.4 ones with yours being a diesel one, you'd be better off with 256mm from an astra and yes they just bolt on

Andy
16-07-15, 08:39 PM
Delco nova brakes are horrendous.i nearly lost my sr cos of them.and at grassing i failed brake test on the first attempt every time at scrutineering (we get a couple of goes).replaced them with the ate 236mm calipers after my third meet last year and iv never had any problems since

ShawnAzzopardi
16-07-15, 08:45 PM
You probably have 1.4 ones with yours being a diesel one, you'd be better off with 256mm from an astra and yes they just bolt on
Nope, I have the 1.2 brakes as the 1.7 diesel was just fitted into it. I'd go with the Astra ones, but I'd have to get new rims and I'm not up for that really. Kinda just gonna go for a decent upgrade while keeping everything same size, if it makes sense.

ShawnAzzopardi
16-07-15, 08:46 PM
Delco nova brakes are horrendous.i nearly lost my sr cos of them.and at grassing i failed brake test on the first attempt every time at scrutineering (we get a couple of goes).replaced them with the ate 236mm calipers after my third meet last year and iv never had any problems since
Know where I can get a pair of them mate? Week before last I went for a drive with my Nova after it sat for less than a week. I promise you, I got to the end of my street, pressed the brake and kept going. Did this another two times too on that same drive.

EwanG
16-07-15, 09:23 PM
Have you checked the fluid level as you might have a leak? Could be a rear cylinder.

NovalutionGSi
16-07-15, 09:27 PM
Best upgrade is to go to Astra vented discs. Was the best thing I did for my SRs.
What size are your wheels?

millworm
17-07-15, 07:47 AM
Astra brakes will fit under most 14s

TugSR
17-07-15, 09:29 AM
I'm following this thread with interest as I too want to fit 236 x 20 vented discs on my SR project.
It's quite obvious from others on here that ATE calipers are the preferred option and I've been actively searching for some.
As I understand it, these were fitted to the Corsa B Sport but was this the only fitment ? What about the Tigra or diesel engined Corsas ?
Is there something visibly obvious about this caliper design ? (other than cast with ATE - which can't often be seen on used items)
Personally I'd like to obtain some well used ones to completely refurbish them - any help would be appreciated !

:thumb:

millworm
17-07-15, 01:28 PM
Came on tigra a aswell

matthew172
17-07-15, 03:41 PM
and ebc pads are crap, you might aswell use a couple of Weetabix as use ebc stuff

NovalutionGSi
17-07-15, 06:17 PM
and ebc pads are crap, you might aswell use a couple of Weetabix as use ebc stuff

OEM or Greenstuff I'd agree, since switching to redstuff on my daily I wouldn't use anything else with stock calipers.

ShawnAzzopardi
17-07-15, 06:55 PM
Best upgrade is to go to Astra vented discs. Was the best thing I did for my SRs.
What size are your wheels?

Running with 13" Steelies painted white off of a Corsa B

Royston
17-07-15, 08:00 PM
I run 235 x 20's ATE's on my Nova SR and Sport, I run 14" rims, should be able to fit 13" rims as long as they aren't too narrow width wise.

ShawnAzzopardi
18-07-15, 07:42 AM
I run 235 x 20's ATE's on my Nova SR and Sport, I run 14" rims, should be able to fit 13" rims as long as they aren't too narrow width wise.
Mine are 165 in terms of width.

ShawnAzzopardi
18-07-15, 07:43 AM
Really? I hear two sides to that argument. Some good, some bad. I mean, they can't be worse than the ones I have.

ShawnAzzopardi
18-07-15, 07:44 AM
Have you checked the fluid level as you might have a leak? Could be a rear cylinder.
Fluid levels seem to be fine, it hasn't budged at all.

Jonesfach
18-07-15, 09:47 AM
Came on tigra a aswell

You can get 256 width with Tigra as well. Readily available on the Internet.

Novasport
18-07-15, 11:49 AM
There are several types of brakes available for the Nova which are a direct fit, I will only mention the upto 256mm brakes though.

There are two caliper designs, the early Delco type or the later ATE type which was available from the late 80's

This is the Delco caliper which is usually found on the Nova. It is prone to the sliding pistons siezing up.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/meAULzX_kw1ZzAWbDXPFQtw.jpg
This is the ATE type caliper which comes with a separate carrier. These are a much better design and rarely sieze. The ATE type can be cast with the Delco logo too to confuse matters.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/NovaSport/20140628_164352_zpsdf9444d7.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/NovaSport/media/20140628_164352_zpsdf9444d7.jpg.html)

The early delco caliper was available for different diameter solid and vented discs. 236 and 256mm.

The later ATE caliper was also fitted to the same 236 & 256mm diameter discs. It was available in 48mm piston to fit 236x12.7mm solid, 236x20mm and 256x20mm vented discs. Also 52mm piston to fit a 256x24mm vented disc.

The calipers have the size cast into the back of them to help identify them and they need to be matched to the correct carrier. If you look on the top right of the back of the caliper on the left it shows 52/24, that is a 52mm piston size & 24mm disc width.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/NovaSport/20140619_195531_zpsf2943e05.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/NovaSport/media/20140619_195531_zpsf2943e05.jpg.html)

236x12.7mm(Solid disc) can be found on the last of the Nova's, the Corsa B and Mk3 Astra. They tend to be fitted to the smaller engined cars. A good upgrade from the original Delco caliper as more reliable and less regular maintenance required. They use the same disc size and will fit under all wheels from 13" upwards. Caliper body has 48/12.7 cast into the back.

236x20mm(Vented disc) can be found on the last of the Nova GSi's, Corsa B 1.4 and Mk3 Astra 1.4. An even better upgrade to the above, these will fit under 13" rims but you may need a min of 5-5.5j width for clearance depending on wheel design. Caliper body has 48/20 cast into the back

256x20mm(Vented disc) These are a bit of an oddball and they were originally found on the Corsa B GSi. They can also be found on the Corsa B 1.6 Sport, Tigra, Mk3 Astra 1.7td & Mk3 Cavalier 1.7td.
They are the same base caliper body as the 236x20mm but uses a larger carrier to accept the larger diameter(256mm) but same width 20mm disc. These are a very good upgrade as the piston size remains the same but runs a bigger disc so should keep good pedal feel. Also wheel clearance is better than the Astra 16v setup allowing a minimum of 5jx14". Caliper body has 48/20 cast into the back.

256x24mm(Vented disc) These were the traditional upgrade fitted to most quick Nova's for years. They were originally found on the Mk2 Astra GTE 16v but were also found on the Mk3 Astra GSi, Mk3 Cavalier GSI and bigger engined Vectra B(Except V6). These are a very good upgrade especially for bigger engined cars. Due to the slightly larger 52mm piston you should get better stopping power but can possibly lose a little pedal feel. Wheel clearance is tighter so you will need a minimum 5.5jx14" wheel but can still be a tight squeeze. Caliper body has 52/24 cast into the back.

This info is all from memory so may not be 100% correct but hopefully it may help you.

ShawnAzzopardi
18-07-15, 12:30 PM
There are several types of brakes available for the Nova which are a direct fit, I will only mention the upto 256mm brakes though.

There are two caliper designs, the early Delco type or the later ATE type which was available from the late 80's

This is the Delco caliper which is usually found on the Nova. It is prone to the sliding pistons siezing up.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/meAULzX_kw1ZzAWbDXPFQtw.jpg
This is the ATE type caliper which comes with a separate carrier. These are a much better design and rarely sieze. The ATE type can be cast with the Delco logo too to confuse matters.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/NovaSport/20140628_164352_zpsdf9444d7.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/NovaSport/media/20140628_164352_zpsdf9444d7.jpg.html)

The early delco caliper was available for different diameter solid and vented discs. 236 and 256mm.

The later ATE caliper was also fitted to the same 236 & 256mm diameter discs. It was available in 48mm piston to fit 236x12.7mm solid, 236x20mm and 256x20mm vented discs. Also 52mm piston to fit a 256x24mm vented disc.

The calipers have the size cast into the back of them to help identify them and they need to be matched to the correct carrier. If you look on the top right of the back of the caliper on the left it shows 52/24, that is a 52mm piston size & 24mm disc width.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/NovaSport/20140619_195531_zpsf2943e05.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/NovaSport/media/20140619_195531_zpsf2943e05.jpg.html)

236x12.7mm(Solid disc) can be found on the last of the Nova's, the Corsa B and Mk3 Astra. They tend to be fitted to the smaller engined cars. A good upgrade from the original Delco caliper as more reliable and less regular maintenance required. They use the same disc size and will fit under all wheels from 13" upwards. Caliper body has 48/12.7 cast into the back.

236x20mm(Vented disc) can be found on the last of the Nova GSi's, Corsa B 1.4 and Mk3 Astra 1.4. An even better upgrade to the above, these will fit under 13" rims but you may need a min of 5-5.5j width for clearance depending on wheel design. Caliper body has 48/20 cast into the back

256x20mm(Vented disc) These are a bit of an oddball and they were originally found on the Corsa B GSi. They can also be found on the Corsa B 1.6 Sport, Tigra, Mk3 Astra 1.7td & Mk3 Cavalier 1.7td.
They are the same base caliper body as the 236x20mm but uses a larger carrier to accept the larger diameter(256mm) but same width 20mm disc. These are a very good upgrade as the piston size remains the same but runs a bigger disc so should keep good pedal feel. Also wheel clearance is better than the Astra 16v setup allowing a minimum of 5jx14". Caliper body has 48/20 cast into the back.

256x24mm(Vented disc) These were the traditional upgrade fitted to most quick Nova's for years. They were originally found on the Mk2 Astra GTE 16v but were also found on the Mk3 Astra GSi, Mk3 Cavalier GSI and bigger engined Vectra B(Except V6). These are a very good upgrade especially for bigger engined cars. Due to the slightly larger 52mm piston you should get better stopping power but can possibly lose a little pedal feel. Wheel clearance is tighter so you will need a minimum 5.5jx14" wheel but can still be a tight squeeze. Caliper body has 52/24 cast into the back.

This info is all from memory so may not be 100% correct but hopefully it may help you.
That's a lot to remember mate, sometimes I don't even remember my name, mother of God. But thank you very much this was very helpful. I think I'll stick to the 236mm x 20 vented ones, since they (might) fit under my 13" steelies, as they did come off of a Corsa B 1.2 (I believe it was a 1.2, could have been a 1L) and they may be an easier swap, over the 256mm. I'd go 256mm, but I'd have to get a bigger rim as well as lower profile (and I like a lot of meat on tires, so they're more comfortable)

Call me stupid, but that's the way I roll. If my car had a 1.2 or something, it'd be a different story, but seeing as it has an all cast iron engine that weighs have a ton, I'd rather the ride be a bit softer and more comfortable.

I'll look up to see if I can find any ATE calipers.

Would this link provide any?

http://www.micksgarage.com/search.aspx?fffBrand=SBS&fffDepartment=Brake%20Calipers&fffMake=vauxhall&fffBasemodel=vauxhall%20nova&fffModelDescription=nova%20hatchback%201983%20to%2 01993&ffftd_car=1.6%20gsi&fffBHP=100

They're a bit pricey, me thinks, but I think they'd fit. And it does say "Manufacturer restriction: Ate"

TugSR
18-07-15, 04:12 PM
^^ Well, Mr novasport, that's exactly the information I was after - excellent !

:thumb:

EwanG
18-07-15, 06:35 PM
All this brake talk can confuse me too :wtf:lol. Confused.com lollol. Am I right in saying most calipers don't come with carriers?

Rob H
18-07-15, 08:08 PM
That's a lot to remember mate, sometimes I don't even remember my name, mother of God. But thank you very much this was very helpful. I think I'll stick to the 236mm x 20 vented ones, since they (might) fit under my 13" steelies, as they did come off of a Corsa B 1.2 (I believe it was a 1.2, could have been a 1L) and they may be an easier swap, over the 256mm. I'd go 256mm, but I'd have to get a bigger rim as well as lower profile (and I like a lot of meat on tires, so they're more comfortable)

Call me stupid, but that's the way I roll. If my car had a 1.2 or something, it'd be a different story, but seeing as it has an all cast iron engine that weighs have a ton, I'd rather the ride be a bit softer and more comfortable.

http://www.micksgarage.com/search.aspx?fffBrand=SBS&fffDepartment=Brake%20Calipers&fffMake=vauxhall&fffBasemodel=vauxhall%20nova&fffModelDescription=nova%20hatchback%201983%20to%2 01993&ffftd_car=1.6%20gsi&fffBHP=100

They're a bit pricey, me thinks, but I think they'd fit. And it does say "Manufacturer restriction: Ate"

I get 247mm discs under 13" steelies on my ax so you should be fine with 236's

Novasport
18-07-15, 10:47 PM

Unfortunately the ATE type caliper very rarely comes with the caliper carrier. They only usually come with a brand new caliper from Vauxhall/Opel. Refurbished units are usually just the caliper only.
They can be bought on Ebay, I have purchased a couple of sets off there for little money.

ShawnAzzopardi
19-07-15, 06:29 AM
Unfortunately the ATE type caliper very rarely comes with the caliper carrier. They only usually come with a brand new caliper from Vauxhall/Opel. Refurbished units are usually just the caliper only.
They can be bought on Ebay, I have purchased a couple of sets off there for little money.
I'll look some up when I'm in the money, but thanks all for all your help lads.

ShawnAzzopardi
19-07-15, 05:51 PM
I was wrong and you were right. Checked the brake fluid level and saw that it was less than usual. Started her up, pumped the brake pedal a bit, and it went straight to the floor. Checked, and saw that the rear right drum is leaking. I'll take it to a mechanic at the end of the month and see how that goes.

Edit: Just watched a video on YT as I've never seen or changed a cylinder before, and it looks pretty straight forward. 2 10mm bolts holding the cylinder in, and I need a 10mm (claw wrench? What are those things called again?) for the brake line, then just release one of the tension springs so I can yank the old one out, put the new one on, redo up everything again, and bleed the system, right?