PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox question

ShawnAzzopardi
14-07-15, 10:11 AM
Will I have to take out the gearbox in order to change the speedo gear, or can it be done while it's still mounted?

I'll probably be doing an oil change on it anyway, in which case how much oil will I need to get and regular 75w90?

Also, this should fit, according to the ad. Just need reassurance.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/dr2wj7.jpg
http://oi61.tinypic.com/xaqefp.jpg

Iain
14-07-15, 10:26 AM
Speedo ring on the diff will need the diff dropping out the bottom

Not too bad since you're doing an oil change and the inspection plate needs to come off anyway. Just shafts out then drop diff out the bottom.

ShawnAzzopardi
14-07-15, 10:29 AM
Speedo ring on the diff will need the diff dropping out the bottom

Not too bad since you're doing an oil change and the inspection plate needs to come off anyway. Just shafts out then drop diff out the bottom.

Benn said something different on MiG. Either way, thanks for your help. I'll mention it to the mechanic when getting it done. I figured something needed to come out.

Stuart
14-07-15, 10:32 AM
Does your diff have the speedo ring on it already? if so, then winner

ShawnAzzopardi
14-07-15, 10:34 AM
Does your diff have the speedo ring on it already? if so, then winner
I've no idea. My speedo went, thought it was a cable, got a new one, put it in (that's what she said) still didn't work, figured it's the gear (according to the guy I went to) ordered a new one and now hoping for the best.

I have no tools, zero experience in something like this and live on a road as smooth as the surface of the moon with no driveway (as this is Malta and I doubt anyone knows what a driveway is or what it looks like.)

Iain
14-07-15, 10:46 AM
What you've pictured will fit without anything being removed.

The actual gear on the diff is what drives it which is what I was referring to.

ShawnAzzopardi
14-07-15, 10:53 AM
What you've pictured will fit without anything being removed.

The actual gear on the diff is what drives it which is what I was referring to.

Ah, got it, understood now. Will pass this on to my mechanic. Thanks mate.

Iain
14-07-15, 10:57 AM
It's only a little M6 bolt holding it in and it slides out, easy DIY job even for people with silly yellow tow straps.

ShawnAzzopardi
14-07-15, 11:12 AM
It's only a little M6 bolt holding it in and it slides out, easy DIY job even for people with silly yellow tow straps.
That comment was below the belt. I'd like a formal apology and a beer.

Benn
14-07-15, 11:30 AM
Sorry didn't see the thread here. And as your photo was just the worm drive bit i went with that, can't see the ring on the diff giving up.

ShawnAzzopardi
14-07-15, 11:55 AM
Sorry didn't see the thread here. And as your photo was just the worm drive bit i went with that, can't see the ring on the diff giving up.
No worries mate, and hopefully the ring on the diff didn't go. I mean, I don't see why it would. Not like I give my car a hardcore ripping on a daily basis. Since I've owned it (for 7 months) I've gone over 100 twice or three times, and I always tend to drive normally. Just need a working speedo so I can avoid speed cameras.