PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Just picked up a GTE

Lucifus
08-07-15, 08:01 PM
Hey everyone - I've been lurking around here for the past few month and finally took delivery of a Nova GTE today. It's pretty much standard as far as I can see and in OK condition.

I plan to tidy it up a bit and run it around for a while before deciding what to do with it. Here's what I'm thinking -

- Replace broken bit's of interior trim (I'll post in the wanted section shortly in case anyone can help)
- Find a set of cav slabs and stick some decent tyres on them
- Drop the car (coilvers or springs?? I need to do some resarch)
- Then if I decide to keep it past 6 months I'm thinking of a full strip down respray to bring the bodywork into as new condition. If I do this then I'll be keeping it for some years I think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/roryg721/1_zpsmgxylbgv.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/roryg721/2_zpsizv3ccpv.jpg

Southie
08-07-15, 08:08 PM
Looks part tidy, welcome to PNG ;)

meritlover
08-07-15, 08:11 PM
1. Leave standard
2. Enjoy

Walshysr
08-07-15, 08:16 PM
^ as said

Lucifus
08-07-15, 08:22 PM
If it was immaculate then I would. I'll keep the stock bits to put it back to standard if I ever want to. Wheels and a slight drop isn't quite ruining it..... (well it is in some eyes). I certainly wont be fitting bodykits, exhausts, neons etc etc

murph-gsi
08-07-15, 10:26 PM
Standard look is the way to go. Lovely on it :thumb:

NovalutionGSi
09-07-15, 10:08 AM
1. Leave standard
2. Enjoy

forgot number 3. Keep it!

tidy it up and keep it. lowering and a decent set of wheels isn't going to spoil it.

BRoadGhost
09-07-15, 11:32 AM
lol neons

Just loosening up the bumper mounting nuts / bolts and then pushing the front / rear bumper up & retightening will make the whole car look better.

Lucifus
09-07-15, 12:07 PM
Is this a common thing to do? (pushing bumpers up)

Jonesfach
09-07-15, 12:41 PM
Leave them wheels on it. Far better looking with them on it.

Lucifus
09-07-15, 12:44 PM
Are these standard GTE wheels that I have? I must admit they are growing on me. Maybe just a subtle drop with some decent tyres is all that's needed. They are 165's on it. I've certainly got no confidence in the tyres right now. It feels like it should have wider tyres with a little more grip.

Benn
09-07-15, 01:12 PM
Bumpers can drop over time. So lifting them a little removes the gap.

Looks like a very nice GTE you've found...

Jonesfach
09-07-15, 01:12 PM
Are these standard GTE wheels that I have? I must admit they are growing on me. Maybe just a subtle drop with some decent tyres is all that's needed. They are 165's on it. I've certainly got no confidence in the tyres right now. It feels like it should have wider tyres with a little more grip.
Hi
i am no GTE expert, but these were fitted to SRs predominantly, as an extra. May also have been a GTE add on,at the time of purchase, also. The standard was steels with a silver wheel trim, flat with small triangles at the outer of the wheel.

NovalutionGSi
09-07-15, 03:04 PM
Pretty sure the 3 spokes were an Option.

Lucifus
09-07-15, 03:46 PM
Right - I've ordered some decent sticky tyres for the 3 spokes. I'll keep the stock wheels for now and drop it slightly.

phunkynova
09-07-15, 07:28 PM
Look's very good please keep it standard.

Lucifus
09-07-15, 08:51 PM
Also ordered a new battery (the one in it is too small for the job), oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, oil, fuel filter etc. Going to give it a good service. I've been underneath it this evening and it could do with a good wire brush, jet wash and waxoyl.

Royston
09-07-15, 09:24 PM
std GTE/GSi tyres are 175/65/14, std SR 165/65/14 rims are 5Jx14", early SR rims '85 4 1/2J x 14" and some lower special editions

8valve-craig
09-07-15, 09:39 PM
i think if you are going to drive it make it drive better, if you are going to stand next to it in a field talking to strangers leave it as it is.

Lucifus
18-07-15, 04:50 PM
Been busy Friday and this morning. So far I've carried out the following:

Oil and filter change,
New spark plugs,
New air filter,
Engine bay/engine degreased and jet washed,
All wheel arches jet washed (so I could take a better look),
New battery,
New springs and shocks all round (coilovers front)
A good wash (photos taken before the wash).

I'm pretty happy with the look. Fairly stock still with the exception of the suspension obviously. The stock stuff was pretty tired anyway and needed to be replaced. It drives fine although I'll take it for a full geo check/setup at some point to optimize it. I took a gamble on the suspension. I've never paid so little for coilovers (less than £200 new). Reviews online were ok. I guess time will tell how they last. I'm surprised that the it's not too hard.
On the downside I did find 1 rust whole up front. I'll remove the front outer wings, bumper etc at some point and give it a good wire brush (using a cup on my angle grinder). Once I've established if there is any more then I'll dig the welder out and cut out the rot and weld in some solid new metal. I'll then waxyoyl the whole thing. Also up on the list are some new tyres as these budget ones are awful. I'm also trying to decide on which alarm to have fitted (I'll leave that to the pros).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/roryg721/IMG_1617_zpszwsxf33x.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/roryg721/IMG_1618_zpslk7wtxea.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/roryg721/IMG_1640_zpse5kbikk6.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/roryg721/IMG_1621_zps2ksgghmv.jpg

EwanG
18-07-15, 06:25 PM
Looking good :thumb:. What's the rear arches like after a clean? I fitted new tyres on my 3 spoke wheels last year with firestone multihawk about £40 fitted per tyre. They are very grippy in the dry. I don't know about the wet as I don't drive mine in the wet.

Lucifus
18-07-15, 06:31 PM
Rear arches are ok. 1 side is unmarked. One side has a couple of scabs and will need some work. I'll wait until I know if I just want to have the arch done or go all in for a full strip respray.

novadave24
19-07-15, 07:55 PM
Looking much better mate :)

NovalutionGSi
19-07-15, 11:16 PM
Looks good on the coilovers.

Just noticed, it doesn't have a rear wiper.

Lucifus
20-07-15, 06:57 AM
Yeah. Either the tailgate has been changed for one that didn't come with a wiper or it's been filled and smoothed at some point in the last 25 years.