PDA

View Full Version : custom fibreglass dashboard

mazza
20-09-03, 01:54 PM
i was thinking about going mental on my interior and making a custom fibreglass dash and centre console that connects to my speaker build in the back through the middle of the front seats... if u get me?? one nice big transition from front to back and have loadsa funky old skool flip switches and loadsa dials, and space for lcd screen in the future and cover it all in black vinly leather like in my speaker build!!!!

is there anything that im likely to come across that will make this impossible??? technical probs??

if not, out with my dash today i think! :twisted:

mazza
20-09-03, 02:12 PM
also has anyone seen a nova with a custom dash like that before????

geordie_racer
20-09-03, 02:32 PM
can't c any problems with it. speak to ade on here he was goin with the idea of a custom dash so mite b able to provide some advice. also on migweb.co.uk is a guy called steve healey who has a custom dash so could also furnish some advice.

as for doin it can't really see much problems with it just need a lot of card to template it. are you leaving the dash hollow or filling the inside of it?
if ur filling it then there are going to b weight issues.

also you will have to think about the heater switches if your moving them and how you will connect them to the heater matrix.
and the gap required and clearence for the handbrake and the gap between the seats is narrow so this will need to b considered.

just a few thoughts for you to consider
chris

Dare-devil
20-09-03, 03:19 PM
Get some pics up, if your gona make it. :wink:

mazza
20-09-03, 03:23 PM
all sounds gravy to me chris :D

i was thinking about just putting a layer of sound proofing in the dash, just stop any little noises or squeeks. im sound proofing the rest of the car anyway, and as i have loadsa mdf and speakers in the back weight isnt really too much of an issue.

im sure i'll find a way to do the heater matrix, just need to make a good design thats practical for all the bits, just want it nice and smooth

i could destroy my old mk1 dash and keep all the mounting points and the very top of the dash to use as a base to start on, just rip out all the glove box and the dial surround and all the centre heater panel and controls then fibreglass it all smooth, and do the same with the centre console, use the old one as a base and build over it and just cut it up to fit

i'll ask ade about the idea

cheers geeza

Jim
20-09-03, 06:43 PM
Instead of creating a whole new dash, why not just mold on top of the current one as much as possible. This way you know the fixings will be in the right place and you can already see where bits and pieces (such as your heater matrix) need to go.

Jim

burgo
21-09-03, 01:59 AM
and it depends if ur willin and able to have ur car off the road all the time that ur doin it

mazza
21-09-03, 12:51 PM
well my cars been off the road for well over a month now, iv stripped the car down apart from the engine and its got no paint. got quite a few plans and ideas, and im well up for a custom dash! hate mk2 dashes and my mk1 dash is a bit shagged :lol:

ade
21-09-03, 02:22 PM
see pm's mazza.

Sound proofing - just use expending foam - you can buy it in a ready mix formula that you just opour into the hollow structure and it bloats out. Sets in 24 hours or so - then you can carve it.

For good deals on fibreglass try www.cfsnet.co.uk

Theyre based on cornwall - thats who I use and theyre very good - guaranteed delivery - good range of fibreglassing and you also get a catalogue with "how to" guides in the back!

Ade

mazza
21-09-03, 07:03 PM
everything sounds good, looks like im gonna a have custom dash :D

think i might start gutting my old dash now!

cheers geeza's, i'll get some pics up once its getting somewhere 8)

novaexplod
22-09-03, 05:01 PM
wont it cost a bit for all the fibreglass??

ade
22-09-03, 06:10 PM
not really

check out www.cfsnet.co.uk - they do good deals on rolls of fibreglass metting - you just need enough resin (prob 5-10kg's worth depending on thickness and complexity).

Doesnt need to be that thick - prob a couple or three layers - just make sure you gelcoat the mould 1st to get a really good finissh on the outside...

Gelcoat for those that dont know is a white (or grey) paint on resin that when applied to the mould (making it the outer skin) and then covered with resin/fibreglass makes a smooth easily sandable outer skin on fibreglass products. Its excellent for smoothing and when sanded well gives an excellent paintable surface. Just dont apply it too thick or over catalyse ot or it will crack or craze...

pickle
22-09-03, 08:05 PM
id give carisma a ring cos he des dashe's dont he! look at his tvr, ask hw he does i, id say he probably cuts up the old dash but keeps most of it in place for the skeliton structure and fiber glass into the shapes u want, god uck mate, never thought of that b4 ( ad heres e wanting to go ttally mental with my beast.) good luck and keep us updated. pickle

mazza
22-09-03, 08:28 PM
i think iv got the plan, started drawing some concepts, might try and make a 3D model on the computer. then i can get exact dimensions!!

i was thinking about the heater controls, is there any chance of getting a heater matrix out of another car that has electric controls rather than those little pulley wire things on the nova dash, coz then i could place them anywhere on the dash and with any type of button rather than having to use the tatty old sliders out of my dash????

krobinson
23-09-03, 02:10 PM
I'm liking your ideas mate, and look forward to the results!!

Interesting!!

pickle
23-09-03, 10:34 PM
ive been well exited with your dash ideas so i've been drawing some and its bloody hard to thnk of stuff, i drew afew but they are not TOTALLY mad. bt they are ok, il scan some up soon. i thought some of them wer well cool then i went out to look at my car and imagine what it would look like in my car and realised that you dont hae much room in a lil nova, so thats the only problem your gona have mate. good luck and scan some photos on mate.