View Full Version : Dilemma

Edd
01-07-15, 07:45 PM
Bit of a dilemma going on

Looking for imput and opinions

Since buying our house I have a LOT less cash for nova lol

I want it finished asap, needs a bit of paintwork, roof and a rear quarter
I also want all the turbo stuff fitted

With the small amount of spare cash I have each month finishing it could take years lol

I do have a stock pile of new GM panels
Inner wings
Passenger door
Pair of front chassis legs
Plus more

I'm considering selling these and use the cash to finish the car

What would you do?
Worried I might need the panels at some point?

Post up what you would do

Edd

bazzap8389
01-07-15, 07:50 PM
I'm kinda on the same boat as you at the moment. Bought a house with everything needing done so not much spare nova money at the moment.

Ive sold a few parts off I'm not going to be needing and also away to sell a lot of my gm panels I know I'll never use.

if you don't need the parts id punt them. That's my 2cents anyway.

novacabrio
01-07-15, 07:52 PM
Sell the panels and finish it, the amount the car sees the road you'll not need the panels for about 50 years!!

Benn
01-07-15, 08:17 PM
As above, sell some of the panels to cover costs. Start with the mega money bits, them inner wings go for big money.

Plus the car will be dry use so should last.

EwanG
01-07-15, 08:45 PM
Sell the parts you don't need and let someone who needs them make good use of them.

hotrod
01-07-15, 09:23 PM
I had the same problem years ago but instead I just stored my nova. Took a long time (still ongoing) and a lot of motivation to get started on it again. If your sure selling the parts would cover your costs then do it but be careful the cash off the parts doesn't get swallowed up in the house because then the nova will be in danger of being just another nova stripped in a garage somewhere!!!

Edd
01-07-15, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone

think Ive made my mind up what to do

Jack
01-07-15, 09:52 PM
I was the same with mine, I kept hold of various parts as I thought I may want to use them in future, specifically the doors and rear wings. Looking back I never really would have used them so there really was no point in keeping them - if you don't have a specific need to use bits in the near future I'd say sell them to fund the rest of the build, assuming it would raise you enough cash.

However... my advice may be crap, as I sold my 'cheap' Nova and bought a considerably more expensive Dodge. Right before buying a house. lol

Andy
01-07-15, 10:00 PM
Sell the lot fit a cage and class two autograss it.

Edd
01-07-15, 10:33 PM
Cage already fitted

Have you driven the roads round here? Might as well be autograss

Edd
01-07-15, 10:34 PM
Jack, I've probably got 2 G's worth of panels going by today's prices lol definitely finish it with that, including the turbo shiz

NovalutionGSi
01-07-15, 11:02 PM
Interesting to see the views on this. Have a mate running a kadett C, which would tell me to keep all the bits I can from the old gsi I had. Now I'm thinking of the bits I have stock piled. Probably end up.keeping them.anyway but if times are hard then they may well come up for sale.

I had the same issue, my GSi made it to our house, tucked up into the garage, where I striped and rebuilt the engine, that took 2 years, then looked at the bodywork and found it to be rotten. Didn't have the time or skill to fix it, so it sat there for a further 4 years. Then got ripped to a bare shell and scrapped. Now I have a good base car to work with and some spare cash although work is slow on the overtime front so have to find the cash somewhere.

Will F
02-07-15, 08:48 AM
Sell the panels. I have hoarded some new genuine stuff for the same reason and that was 7-8 years ago and I've still not used any of it! lol

meritlover
02-07-15, 08:58 AM
I set fire to everything then weighed in what was left.

Benn
02-07-15, 11:06 AM
Jack, I've probably got 2 G's worth of panels going by today's prices lol definitely finish it with that, including the turbo shiz

Answer right there.

The way it's going you'll be able to get more panel in a few years than you can now..

wwmnw
03-07-15, 09:17 PM
Sell house, finish car.