PDA

View Full Version : modern cars diagnostics and dealers.

marc69
29-06-15, 12:37 PM
My mate has a 2007 2.7d S-type Jag. He has had numerous problems but a week or so ago e called asking advice, his car was spluttering and he was 50 miles from his home. I told him just to drive home slowly. 10 minutes later he phoned to say it had stalled and said gearbox problems on his display, my advice now was get yourself towed home by breakdown people (He had no cover so it cost him a small fortune).

He got it dropped off at a garage who a few days did the diagnostics. I hadn't seen the car as he lives a distance from me. The diagnostics showed the fuel pump, fuel rail sensors and internal fuel pump had failed, probably over a grand in repairs.

On Saturday I saw the car, started it and heard that 4 out of 6 cylinders were firing so assumed that either injectors were blocked or wiring was the problem without a diagnostics tool, I used my ears. So I just put heaps of wd40 through the fuel system and after some spluttering and fumes....hey presto 6 cylinders.

The car was still in limp mode so to get over that I unplgged the battery for a few hours. Put it back on and after a few short drives for the ecu to sort itself out, the car drives perfectly and even the ecu light has gone off.

Now I am aware that there may be more dirt in the system and it may need a proper flush out but seriously, is this how it works with modern cars and garages? The only problem now is the touch screen is asking for a code and he doesn't have it so he will probably have to get that from the dealer.

Looking at his car, my repair just seems to easy and common sense to be true for a modern vehicle, especially compared to what professionals say!

Iain
29-06-15, 12:45 PM
Yes that's basically how it works as far as I've seen, my workmate had a 2009 Saab go into limp mode/misifiring/down on power, he took it home slowly and took it to a garage. No fault codes. Garage fed him all sorts of crap about the injectors being seized in so couldn't replace, having the sump off to check the bearings and quoted him £5k to fit a new engine. Don't think they even lifted the bonnet with it having no fault codes and nowhere to start.

Hence I have a free 2009 Saab to fix lol Although I can't really be bothered if anyone wants to buy a lumpy running Saab PM me

marc69
29-06-15, 01:09 PM
Well it just seems to be lack of knowledge and daylight robbery, long live carb cars lol!!!