PDA

View Full Version : Bump steer mods/ wandering/ tramlining and feeling untracked

Benn
18-06-15, 01:01 PM
I've done a mod to my hubs to run my steering arms on the bottom of the hub arm, rather than on the top. To remove the arm angle and help with bump steer.
This has 99% removed all the bump steer, yay.

But now i have a wanding/tramlining feel when driving. I thought my tracking might still be out. It's been set to factory setting at a tyre place using 4 wheel lazor lineament.
But it' still there, on some roads it just feeling like your tram lining in the lorry groves.. Some times like the tracking is out and 1 wheel is wanting to pull you off direction... Other times it seems ok.

Everything is tight, everything is new. So i dont know why i'm getting this feel.
Rick Draper did the same mod, then found he had the same problems which he couldn't fix so converted back.

Any idea what it might be? What i could look at? Before i change it back and hope that sorted it and then live with bump steer.

HouseAtreides
18-06-15, 01:29 PM
I'm possibly the least qualified person in the universe to comment on this, but find it interesting nonetheless; and so a quick bit of Googling led me to this, which may or may not be of some use: http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/ctrp-1001-bump-steer-explained/

Scottcooper85
18-06-15, 05:24 PM
Just turned my track rods upside down also but I'm using rose joint. I was having big steering issues but found that to be a bottom ball joint problem and now that's sorted it seems great bump steer wise but I'm also getting a little tram lining but put it down to the suspension being low and quite hard another problem I'm having is the Steering feeling quite light. Will be reading here with interest and doing my own investigating also :)

Edd
18-06-15, 05:49 PM
Too big wheels

Stuart
18-06-15, 05:54 PM
Our 500 does this too, it's implied the rear beam bushes are nagged, but it could also the slow puncture on a rear tyre too lol

nova_stee
18-06-15, 06:40 PM
Its because your bottem arm isnt at the same angleas your steering arm.

Benn
18-06-15, 08:15 PM
I'm possibly the least qualified person in the universe to comment on this, but find it interesting nonetheless; and so a quick bit of Googling led me to this, which may or may not be of some use: http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/ctrp-1001-bump-steer-explained/

Interesting i'll have a read. Thank you.

Just turned my track rods upside down also but I'm using rose joint. I was having big steering issues but found that to be a bottom ball joint problem and now that's sorted it seems great bump steer wise but I'm also getting a little tram lining but put it down to the suspension being low and quite hard another problem I'm having is the Steering feeling quite light. Will be reading here with interest and doing my own investigating also :)

Did you have it tracked? As it will need it. See i've never really had tram-lining, till now. Mine is low and hard too.

Too big wheels

Only 16" tho...

Our 500 does this too, it's implied the rear beam bushes are nagged, but it could also the slow puncture on a rear tyre too lol

Hhhmm my rear bushes are a year or so old but where cheap firstline ones... Do have yellow polly ones to fit...

Its because your bottem arm isnt at the same angleas your steering arm.

My steering arms are now almost straight, maybe pointing down a bit, i think my arms are close to the same angle...
But surely it would of been like it before when my steering arms pointed up?

nova_stee
18-06-15, 08:30 PM
Your arms carnt be at the same angle they will of been when they were on top of the knuckle how vauxhall indended. How ever much your steering arm is lowered by you need to lower the arm away from the knuckle aswell to match

Scottcooper85
18-06-15, 08:43 PM
Yeah had it tracked mate and it runs nice and straight although it was 10' out at one side lol

Benn
18-06-15, 09:00 PM
Your arms carnt be at the same angle they will of been when they were on top of the knuckle how vauxhall indended. How ever much your steering arm is lowered by you need to lower the arm away from the knuckle aswell to match

I'll have a look again. I don't think i could lower the arm more tho. Made it as low as poss moving the ball joint to the top.

Yeah had it tracked mate and it runs nice and straight although it was 10' out at one side lol

haha had that before too.

mowgli
18-06-15, 09:21 PM
after your previous post on this subject, was it tracked this time with a weight in the front to approximate it having a driver on-board?

Benn
18-06-15, 09:34 PM
No, never had that done. Would that affect it alot?

mowgli
18-06-15, 09:39 PM
the weight of a decent sized bloke will add about 100kg so this will affect its suspension loading, and thus its tracking quite a bit. as the arms move when you climb in, thus the tracking is immediately out of alignment, so when you start the lower arms moving, it will affect it even more.

another thing.. have you had the corner weights checked? (also with you in the car)

Benn
18-06-15, 09:50 PM
Hhmm yeah and i'm a lil more than "decent size" not something i'd thought of... And no never had corner weight done.

joff-turbo-nova
18-06-15, 09:59 PM
Benn

When I had my Meriva tracked up on a Hunter machine, I was surprised to see they were loading big water containers onto the front seat to replicate a drivers weight - even more surprising was this was at Kwick-Fit !

May make a difference?

Joff

mowgli
18-06-15, 10:04 PM
will make a difference... unless its on you've been framed(or similar) a car doesn't go down the road without anyone in it

Stuart
18-06-15, 10:09 PM
When I had the VX and the alignment was all a bit random, I found it handled way better with 4 bags of builders sand in the passenger footwell lol

Benn
19-06-15, 09:29 AM
HHhmmm interesting, might get it done again and sit in it.