PDA

View Full Version : Best roof aerial unit for a nova?

20-martyn-09
17-06-15, 05:22 PM
I have done away with the aerial on my front wing when my car got painted, looking for complete unit for my roof but not sure which to go for not wanting anything to big. What has everyone else got ?

Benn
17-06-15, 05:40 PM
I use a stick on kit that goes in the front window, behind the mirror so it's out of the way... Works great.

20-martyn-09
17-06-15, 05:46 PM
Sounds good thanks that might be a plan save drilling a hole in my roof lol did u just source one of eBay ?

Benn
17-06-15, 06:22 PM
That's what i was thinking, wouldn't wanna be drilling holes in new paint and yeah i think so. They are quite cheap.

meritlover
17-06-15, 06:27 PM
Wing mounted ariel ftw. Its oe and different. Not like all these bee-sting ariels from the 90's. A 20mm hole saw is all it needs.

mowgli
17-06-15, 08:18 PM
i used to have a mk1 mondeo roof aerial on my old A reg hatch... but i just have an OE wing mount these days

HouseAtreides
17-06-15, 09:17 PM
Like yourself, I did away with the old oe wing monuted aerial and plumped for a roof aerial, which I mounted towards the rear of the roof. Purchased this from the bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMPLIFIED-ROOF-AERIAL-BASE-VAUXHALL-ASTRA-CORSA-VECTRA-/300416347963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item45f235af3b

And going to buy this to connect above aerial to stereo http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-AERIAL-CABLE-AMPLIFIER-TO-FOOTWELL-4-METRES-LONG-GENUINE-NEW-/161152195150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25856b5a4e

I personally prefer a roof mounted aerial, but depends on the degree of fidelity to originality.

I should also mention that when fitting the roof aerial base, I did so while the car was in primer (before paint) to ensure there was no bare steel. I drilled a pilot hole using an 1/8th drill, followed by an 8mm spot weld drill, then filed the rest of the hole out with a small, flat-edged triangular file to create a square for the part of the base which sits into the roof. I think the resultant hole was approx 1cm squared. Sounds more complicated than it was, though did take time, patience and accuracy. You just have to take your time pressing on the roof with the drill when drilling and filing, letting the drill do most of the work and taking it easy with how hard you push and pull as you file, otherwise you'll wind up denting the roof or leaving it slightly sunk if too much pressure is applied.

Best,
Tony