PDA

View Full Version : Pug 205 Rallye

_JH_
19-09-03, 11:30 PM
Apart from calling it french crap, saying your 1.0nova with a peco would beat it any day, and telling me to piss off to another site, does anyone have any info about them or point me in the right direction?

Some tuning info and common mods for the engine would be nice

might be buying one as a toy.

all i know is it's a 1360cc and they were based on the 1.4XS

cheers in advance

dave.gsi
19-09-03, 11:33 PM
my knowledge stops at......'i've seen a yellow one and a white one' lol

Fester
19-09-03, 11:57 PM
I have also seen one

SKoob
20-09-03, 01:09 PM
Chuck an Mi16 engine in there :) will be a right flyer.

CP
20-09-03, 10:35 PM
Basically the older pugs were/are hard core. Any Rallye's are the hardest of them all - lighter and more sporty than the std they remain amongst the best all time small hatch backs. Great engines - the 1.4 8v's bung out around 100 ponies and handling to die for. 1.6 's even better. Look the biz too with ice white steelies. Great out of the box performance.

The older ones are a bit long in the tooth and are likley to have had "busy " lives so proceed with caution. Not many real vices - spares not that cheap but not too bad - see Euro Car Parts website.
They are quite sort after so expect to pay a bit more than average to secure a goodun.

_JH_
20-09-03, 11:01 PM
a goodun.

lol this ones had a big side smash, will be a fairly big project- pillars bent, but its nothing that can't be done. besides that its a k reg and is completely solid. there is some tiny scabbing in the engine bay, but nowhere structural, just around a few edges. will probably whip engine out and give it a clean up before i've finished

Great engines - the 1.4 8v's bung out around 100 ponies and handling to die for.

this is interesting. any exact figures anyone? i give it a quick run up a discontinued road and it pulled extremely well for 1360cc, liked the bends too

i'm assuming the package was a similar idea to the nova sport

Dicko
21-09-03, 09:57 AM
yes similar to the nova sport but id say they handle beter. would be a great project if you wanted a b-road car :)

get some 40's and a cam on there and uprate suspension. strip her out fully and woohoooo

Stuart
21-09-03, 11:12 AM
im pretty sure the 205 rallye had webber twin 38's (specially made for pug), if thats not right then they are twin 40's :)

v nice, v fast, go for it :)

Phil_G
21-09-03, 12:16 PM
hi,

only weaknesses ive found with my pug so far are

1) driveshafts ( had to change one)
2) gearbox (inmy case uses 75w/80 - ?5.50 ish a litre)

the rallye, as said, is a flyer.. go for it....

Phil

beatin u
21-09-03, 07:02 PM
I had the 'XS' for a year then sold it to my bro he's had it 3 years now. Think its the same engine as the 'rally' but mine was 1 big carb, my mate had the twin carb older model, nothing in it performance wise ie. the same. Great car, quite nippy handdles brilliantly. 205's still my favourite hatch. Bad electrics and 'box broke.

gona get another one sometime 8)

_JH_
24-09-03, 07:17 PM
well i bought it - ?100

doesn't have webbers though. its got a solex carb, proper pug cylindrical airbox and warm air feed, so either the webbers were an option or they've been replaced with the manifold carb etc from another pug 1.4.

its got a push button start aswell which i didnt notice when i test drove it

will post a pic of the BIG dent when i pick it up in a fortnight

Stuart
24-09-03, 07:23 PM
erm correct me if im wrong but a proper rallye is a 1.3

_JH_
24-09-03, 07:33 PM
1360cc and everywhere i have looked/asked it says this

the 106 rallye was availible in under 1300cc

might have another check though

_JH_
24-09-03, 08:04 PM
from http://www.peugeot205xs.co.uk

"Rallye
There were two versions of the 205 Rallye, only one was commercially available in the UK. The earlier version was produced in France and had a TU24 103bhp 1.3 engine with twin carbs. It had an XS like appearance, except for white steel wheels, squared off wheelarches and Peugeot-Talbot sport stripes. The front fog/driving lamps were usually absent, replaced by plastic grilles. It had a smoothed off rear tailgate panel with 'Rallye' written across in italics-style. Very few of these left-hand drive cars are likely to be in the UK.
The British version only had a 75bhp injection engine* and didn't look quite so amazing. It was more to the 205 standard style, like a limited edition XS or something. It had the front and rear valance and XS steel wheels. The only noticeable differences were the stripes running up diagonally under the rear windows and smoothed off tailgate with 'Rallye' in large italics. It appeared in 1992.
(* I have received an e-mail from a 205 Rallye owner informing me that the very early 205 Rallye UK version actually has the carb TU3 engine, the same as the late XS.)"

and about the XS:

"The most impressive part of this car is the improved later (post '87) engine. It is a TU3S engine with MA transmission. It has a single twin-choke Solex 32-34 Z2 carburettor which produces 85bhp at 6,400rpm. Top speed increased to 110mph with a 0-62mph time of 10.6 seconds (Peugeot official figures). To compliment this, fuel economy remained good and increased to 32.8mpg on the urban cycle (compared with the old XY8 engine)."

the few people i know who could remember the spec of the car had told me this too

Austin_Nova16
24-09-03, 08:08 PM
1.6 16valve it.

CP
24-09-03, 09:37 PM
There's a bit in Retro cars about a bloke who has stuck an Mi16 head on a 1.9GTi block- runs about 230 hp :D